My H messed up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamindica

Reaction score
My husband read that it was okay to clip a donkey after three months of age. Yesterday he decided to clip Newt, who is a little over 3 months of age. Afteerward, his mther would not accept him and he was bullied unmercifully by the rest of the herd, a yearling jack and gelding. She would not protect him and was rejecting him.

They seemed to be getting along after a while, Newt and his mother, so I penned them up overnight to see if they would be reacquainted. Prior to the clipping she was an excellent mother. This was her first foal. He is pretty much nutritionally independent and only has a taste of mother's milk occasionally. But he isn't emotionally independent yet. I'm worried sick. Did we do the wrong thing?

I'VE READ THAT IT IS BETTER TO CLIP A BABY A LITTLE AT A TIME AND LET THEM BACK OUT SO THEY GET USE TO THE NEW "DO" AND THE SMELL CHANGES SOME.

HOPING PUTTING THEM TOGETHER SHE IS ACCEPTING HIM BY NOW.

I REALLY CAN'T OFFER ANY HELP EXCEPT THAT, HAVEN'T EVER HAD IT HAPPEN YET TO ME.

I dont clip my weanlings. But I would never do a complete body clip on one just for the reason you mentioned. A little at a time is best, and MOM will still accept her baby. Poor little Newt, sure hope Mom "reunites" with him. Corinne

OH! I feel really bad! I started to post a while back to let the newer folks know NOT to clip the baby donks. The jenny will reject. The smell changes and she doesn't think it is hers anymore. I sure hope she will take him back. Poor baby! Do you have anything that he might have worn prior to clipping him? Something his old smell would be on?

I hope everything turns out OK.

minimule said:
OH!  I feel really bad!  I started to post a while back to let the newer folks know NOT to clip the baby donks.  The jenny will reject.  The smell changes and she doesn't think it is hers anymore.  I sure hope she will take him back.  Poor baby!  Do you have anything that he might have worn prior to clipping him?  Something his old smell would be on?
I hope everything turns out OK.

413293[/snapback]

I stalled them up for a couple of days and I saw him nurse so I put them back out to pasture yesterday. Yes, it was sad, and I was peeved with my H for clipping him. He had clipped our adults and thought that Newt would feel better in the heat if he did him. We have learned our lesson. No more clipping until they are fully weaned and independent. I think everything will be okay now. Thanks for the help. I felt awful. We had never clipped before this year, as our donks are just pets. Then we bought a registered jennet who was pregnant (Newt's mother Cha Cha) and she had been clipped. My husband liked the look so much he clipped everyone, and for the most part they seem to love it. Especially in this Texas heat.

Glad to hear he is nursing again
yes.gif
If nothing else "lesson learned"

Latest posts

Back