My friend's son

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky Texas

Reaction score
Hello Gang

I am sadden to say this update is let you all know that Dakota is gone. This beautiful little boy

is now in Heaven. I learned that on Friday, he had no brain activity. Friday, when a nurse gave

him a shot, he flinched, and showed some brain activity. Unfortunately the Doctors were unable

to stop the bleeding, and he continue to throw the blood clots. On Sat. at 10:30 AM, he had

a blood clot hit his spinal cord, and there was no more brain activity. They did more test at

6:30 PM, still none. Kelly and Steve made the decision to donate his organs and take him off

life support. This was done at 10:30 PM. So Dakota is gone.

I also learned this AM, that the cause of death was not from a brain aneurysm. The cause for

his death was from the 4 wheeler, he had an accident on it while out riding it with his dad.

Dad was on one and Dakota was on another one. Dakota had the accident. The injuries were

to the brain, and the Doctors were unable to stop the bleeding in his brain. He had massive

bleeding and swelling. Everything they tried to do to stop the bleeding did not work.

We were told at work he had a brain aneurysm, they did not want us to know at work the

real reason for his death. His parents are still devastated at loosing their only child. Please

continue to keep Kelly and Steve in your prayers. I have not heard when his funeral will be yet.

Thank You for the continue prayers for them.

Vicky

For parents who let their children ride these things, please take this post to heart, please don't let

them ride them or let them only if you are riding with them. Put helmet's on them. Helmets on

children for riding any thing... could save their lives.

Dakota, we will miss you our young friend.

I can't get it to post his picture?

Can someone post it for me Please

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so, so sorry Vicky, to hear of Dakota's passing. How awful for his parents to have to make this decision, and also how sad that his dad is probably going to be very hard on himself for the accident. I hope everyone who hears the story will take wearing a helmet more seriously.

I wish I knew how to post the picture for you. I am just so sorry again, I kept hoping/praying I would see a post about a miraculous turnaround and recovery.

Vicki, Maybe I can try to help. I sent you an email

Vicky,

I'm so sorry, I'm just now finding the thread of your prayer request for your friend's son, as we were out of town over the weekend and just now having opportunity for visiting here on the LB, and am deeply saddened to log on and see such heartbreaking news of this precious little boy.

We offer our sincerest condolences to Dakota's family and friends. Holding you all in our hearts and prayers.

In His Hands,

Tanya & Family

I have to admit, when I first heard about the 4-wheeler, I wondered. Poor man, what was meant to be innocent fun has been the death of his son.

Deepest condolences to all of you, and keeping you all in my prayers.

We have lost a couple of children in our area to 4 wheeler accidents. I'm very sorry for the loss. How heartbreaking.

I am so sorry. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

We live on a small lake and people come here to "play" in the summer. The four wheelers are out everyday...and very few people, even the ones with children on the back, wear helmets. It is sad.

default_no.gif

Hi Gang

Thank You all for the continued prayers. The viewing is tomorrow night, and the funeral

is on Wed. at 1 PM. Mom and I will be going, along with our boss's Jacquie and Addie. Since

my mom has know Kelly and Dakota for over 5 yrs, and I was one of his teacher's last Summer

in Day Care. I had him in the After School program. He was such a sweet boy, its just so

heart breaking to know he is gone.

Kay, I sent the picture to you to see if you can post it. Thank You.

So Wed. will be so hard. I have never had to go to a funeral for a child. I have gone to many

of my youngest brother's friends. So this will be so hard. At least we all know he is Heaven

and no longer in pain.

Its heart breaking to know that an evening of fun, cost him his life. If anyone reading this

rides or has children riding them, please put a helmet on them, or wear one your self.

Vicky

I am sorry sorry to read of this families loss. What a sad tradgity.

I agree about helmets. In fact, I just purchased a riding helmet for my daughter for her 8th birthday for when she starts her riding lessons.

{{{{HUGS & PRAYERS}}}}

I am so sorry. My little boys ride a four-wheeler with a rev limiter (a small four-wheeler), and they wear helmets every time.

Even my 19-year-old wears his helmet. The little ones have other gear that they wear (chest protector) as a sudden blow to the chest can also stop their hearts.

I don't know if I can let them go out and ride it, though, anytime soon...it's scary when you think about little Dakota. I am so sorry for their loss.

So sad, I can't begin to know what these poor parents are feeling. My children ride 4 wheelers but NEVER with out a helmet, they do not sit on a horse with out one either. There are too many things that can happen and so I try to keep them as safe as I can. As a side note it is the law here for them to have helmets on wheelers and such but also on horses.

Heres Dakota's picture. Makes my heart hurt

dakota.jpg

KayKay

Thank You for posting Dakota's picture for me. Marty Thank you for offering as well.

I am so glad to hear that your children are wearing helmets and chest protector's.

I listen today to one of my parents ( I work in Day Care), she is a nurse and her husband

a doctor. She was telling me how so many children are hurt or killed on 4 wheelers.

And they were not wearing the helmet's. I know it could still happen with a helmet,

or chest protector, but at least with those, maybe the injuries won't be as bad.

When I ride horses, I use to wear the helmet to protect my head. An accident can happen

so fast. So it helps to know your children are wearing the helmets. If only Dakota had Been?

Well the what if's won't bring him back. I too can't image what Kelly and Steve are

going through. The pain and the loss of loosing their only child. I just know that Wed. will

be so hard to go to the funeral. To have to go and say good bye to Dakota.

Thank You all again for all your prayers.

Vicky

I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

I am so sorry for their loss.

I too am praying for this family and their friends. It is so tragic when a young one is lost like this.

How very sad. Just the other day me and my husband were walking by our house and there were 2 very young boys on a quad. Ages about 8 and 5...neither wearing a helmet. The first thing I thought when I saw them is where is their helmets! They were flying down the road, it made me sick to my stomach thinking what could happen to them. They were entirely too young to be riding on the road as well without an adult.

Sending prayers for Dakota's family.

My heart goes out to Kelly and Steve. I'm sure this horrible accident will especially haunt Steve for the rest of his life. We should all pray that, in time, he is able to forgive himself for what I'm sure he considers to be his fault.

On the helmet issue when I moved here I found a local saddle club and was looking over their by-laws. This was in them..."no child will be penalized for wearing a helmet".
default_new_shocked.gif
Needless to say I was astonished and more than a little upset at the obvious lack of concern for the safety of the children involved.

Latest posts

Back