My first mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bren

Reaction score
Hi all! my name is Brenda and I adopted my first mini over the weekend. She is a doll and we really love her. We run a rescue/sanctuary for Dachshunds and were not sure how adding a little horse would go but so far so good. The Doxies bark at her through their fence a little and she totally ignores them. (good girl) She was a re-home from a family who no longer wanted her and wanted her gone ASAP. That "ASAP" always worries me so I did not waste any time getting her here. She is a chestnut (or sorrel?) 10yr old mare and she is 32 inches at the withers. She is a bit fearful of adults but seems very comfortable with our 11yr old daughter. She has only been here 3 days so we are all in the adjustment period and getting to know one another. In 2 weeks the equine vet will come out and do a full evaluation and an ultra sound as the family who owned her said she spent some time in a field with a mini stallion. We are hoping she is not in foal but will deal with it if this is the case. At any rate I am excited to get to know her and all of you and will probably have a million questions. ( I hope you all don't mind) I will reduce my pics soon and get some on here.

Bren

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your first Mini.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
But, I have to warn you, they are addicting!!!
default_biggrin.png

Congratulations on your first Mini.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
But, I have to warn you, they are addicting!!!
default_biggrin.png

Oh I know and I am in big trouble I am sure... I have 11 Dachshunds here so you already know how bad I am.. ha ha ha A few are for adoption but at least 8-9 live here in sanctuary or forever home. If my mare is not pregnant I will want a friend for her. If she is pregnant I will just keep the baby. I only have 4.5 acres so I can't get too crazy with the horses. : ) I am just amazed at how cheap they are to feed. Wow I bought pelleted food and 2 kinds of hay and it was so cheap compared to my dogs's food! I pay 42.00-50.00 a bag for my dog's kibble and like 15.00 for the mini food! What do you all feed your minis? I am also confused abotu the wormer. My Vet said only use Safeguard. I bought the Equibits but I am not sure how much to give her. she was kind of a rescue mini and I have almost no info on her so I don't even know her weight. She had no shots records, worming, dental or hoof care. I have a lot ot learn to get her up to speed. Thankfully my Vet is awesome and even entertained my paranoia on Sunday when she had the runs & gas real bad and I did not know what to do. Turned out to just be stress from her move and being hauled 2.5 hours when she was not used to it. She is fine now. (thank God)

Bren

Congrats on your new girl! Yes, horse feed is much cheaper compared to dog feed! Everytime I start to complain I think about what my feed bill would be if I showed dogs! I would get the Paste Safeguard and worm her at 300lbs. I've had several A size minis come through (show barn) and have yet to have one over 300lbs. This way, you won't be under dosing her (which causes resistant parasites) and you probably won't be over dosing either (SafeGuard is a pretty safe product anyway!). Good luck!

default_biggrin.png
Welcome to the wonderful world of minis.
default_biggrin.png
What a lucky girl your mare is to have fallen into the care of someone who is going to take the time to learn how to care for her (and enjoy her) properly. It seems every time someone gets one of these little mares in the way you did the first thing they have to do is check to see if she is pregnant. (but I won't go off on a tirade about it altho I do think its so sad,when they didn't care about the one they had and they breed her anyway) You will find the people on this forum friendly and helpful and passionate about minis and their care.
default_wub.png

I look forward to seeing pictures of your mare (and the ones who will be sure to follow ;) )

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of her!
default_smile.png
You'll love them! They are so smart and wonderful to have around.

I worm my minis with safeguard in the spring. You'll want to do an ivermectrin with her and a pyrantel paromate throughout the year. Controls different types of worms. I also do a tape worm once a year to be on the safe side. With minis, the cheaper the wormer, the better for them. Never give a mini Quest Gel. And some of the more name brand stuff is more potent, so you have to watch your dosing. So I just stick with the generic stuff.

4.5 acres! You know how many minis you can have on there????
default_biggrin.png
Good luck and this forum is a world full of information on minis! Ask away!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back