My first driving lesson

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
We sent Domingo out to the trainer 20 days ago for a tune up. I haven't driven him since I purchased him in early 09, and I don't think he had been driven since the 2008 show season. Since I have no driving experience, I thought it would be best to have a professional tune him up before I started driving him. Well, I started missing him so we decided to take the 4 hour drive this weekend to go see him, and get my first driving lesson. It's a blast. I think it will take a little bit to get used to. I haven't ridden since 06', but I still have that "instinct" to want to neck rein and use my legs, lol. I really think Im going to love driving even more than riding once Im comfortable and have more miles under my belt. Anyway, here is a picture from today. Please give advice, but dont be too harsh. Keep in mind im a total newbie, and my horse has 20 days on him after nearly 3 years. Hes not in condition yet, but gives his all. I cant wait for my next lesson tomorrow. Actually, I was teasing hubby telling him we should move out near the trainer, because they are GREAT and I really enjoyed my lesson. I didnt mind drooling over their shetlands either
default_yes.gif

396978650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you look great and your horse is very pretty. Thanks for sharing! Great idea working with a trainer and you two look like a terrific pair. Best wishes for many years of driving.
default_aktion033.gif
whooo hooooo

My only objection is the fact they've got draw reins on him. Other than that, you both look great!

Leia

You guys do look great! I LOVE your horse! Very nice!
default_wub.png

My lesson today went a lot better, I felt more comfortable in the cart, and a little bit more comfortable. Today I learned to carry the whip in my hand. That is throwing me off a little, it feels like too much in my hands. I forgot to ask while I was there, can anyone tell me what length of whip is legal for AMHR? When I get to the point of showing, I will be showing AMHR and open shows that follow AMHR rules, so from the get go I want to just have the correct equiptment.

Also, can anyone tell me where has the best prices on myler bits? They tried a few bits on Domingo and found one he really likes, but like everyone else, we're pinched for cash. Ive been looking for one used, but havent come across one yet. Its a 3 3/4 myler with a twisted mouth and roller.

Just got the go ahead from my hubby to leave him with the trainer a little longer so he can be shown on the 18th. Keep your fingers crossed, he's 2 stakes wins from his HOF. Then he'll come back home with me for the rest of the show season. He's my all around boy, he does halter, showmanship, hunter, and liberty too.

My lesson today went a lot better, I felt more comfortable in the cart, and a little bit more comfortable. Today I learned to carry the whip in my hand. That is throwing me off a little, it feels like too much in my hands. I forgot to ask while I was there, can anyone tell me what length of whip is legal for AMHR? When I get to the point of showing, I will be showing AMHR and open shows that follow AMHR rules, so from the get go I want to just have the correct equiptment.

Also, can anyone tell me where has the best prices on myler bits? They tried a few bits on Domingo and found one he really likes, but like everyone else, we're pinched for cash. Ive been looking for one used, but havent come across one yet. Its a 3 3/4 myler with a twisted mouth and roller.
The whip takes some getting used to but it will make a difference if it is well balanced and light weight. Whips are all different in size, length and weight. If you ever get to hold a really nice well balanced one, you'll understand it is much easier to carry than the cheaper ones.

As to length, the whip plus the lash much not extend beyond the shoulder of the horse in harness to the cart. This is AMHR rules.

Myler bits run around $100 and up. It's been a couple of years since I bought one. IMO a twisted mouth is a little extreme for a mini unless you have very "soft hands" (light touch on his mouth from your hands). All of mine drive in a simple snaffle and are very light in the mouth; although my stallion does not like the pressure on his tongue so we sometimes use a low port for him for beginners.

Hello to all, like yourself, I have just started driving lessons. Have a 5 year old mini, Cat B 37 inches, competed successfully in performance events, long reigned and trained the basics. Took him to a trainer to add the cart and getting him started. Now having lessons over the next few months (our winter) so we can get out and about over the summer. There seems so much to think about at first, holding reins correctly, where the whip sits, placement of cart when going around obstacles and through gates, thinking about what the horse is doing, what I am suppose to be doing...... Quite addictive, and lots of fun. We have limited access to suitable carts in NZ. Expensive to import, so we are making our own with the help of a local engineer. Few NZ suppliers of any carriage parts so we are starting from scratch. Now this is a different learning curve. There are some very helpful websites USA, UK ,Canadian. Watch this space, will let you know of progress. Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received. Cheers.

Welcome, NZ Mini! Keep reading this board, feel free to ask any questions, and you'll learn lots.

Latest posts

Back