My filly Diva is sick :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
When I came home from Nationals I noticed Diva was just real droopy. She is a quiet filly in nature so I thought she must be a little tired from the exictment thats Sweetie's back. I really noticed Wednesday night this isn't normal foal behavior. Head droopy, not eating her grain, nor nursing very much, not pooping or going very much, and I think she was just playing with her water not drinking. So we got her to the vet yesterday and it's a respiatory infection. I felt so bad I wished I caught it sooner. She is suppose to be better today but if not in 3 days she has to go back.

So please keep her in your prayers also. I want nothing to happen to my precious Diva.

sleep-175x195.jpg

She is so cute, Jamie! I will keep her in my prayers. What kind of meds did the vet put her on? My horses have responded really well to that tribressen (sp?) paste and also naxil (sp? again). I hope she bounces back quick for you.

Poor sweet baby, I'm sure with your great care she'll bounce back. Prayers coming your way.

Ohh, I feel so bad for her. I hate to see any horse get sick! What medication is she on? I hope she is back to feeling herself very shortly for you. I will keep her in my prayers. Corinne

Jill said:
She is so cute, Jamie!  I will keep her in my prayers.  What kind of meds did the vet put her on?  My horses have responded really well to that tribressen (sp?) paste and also naxil (sp? again).  I hope she bounces back quick for you.
471968[/snapback]

She is on 0.4 cc of Naxcel for once daily for 3 days. The vet also gave her something to boost her digestive system and something for the pain. I just wish I got her to the vet sooner. I've seen Resp. infections before but not in a foal. I thought it was something worse but glad it wasn't. Now I hope I caught it in time. When we came home she did poop and actually nursed, and she did eat some grain last night so it's working I hope.

Thanks!

Jamie

Now I'm just asking, but Naxel is usually used for 5-7 days, I would ask your vet about using the full regimin. Like humans not taking all the medication will make the sickness rebound back. 5-7 days won't hurt her. You may also want to encourage her to eat some plain cultured yogurt or probios paste.

Oh what a little seetheart she is!! I hope that she feels better soon and back to normal.

Naxel is a wonder drug! If she is nursing and pooping that is GOOD sign!

I will continue to pray.

B

Jamie,

I will pray for you and your adorable baby. Kiss your little filly for me. Keep reading your posts, it sure helps in time of need.

DeAnna Rasberry

AWWWWW Jamie, I'm so sorry and I hope she will be better really quick

Well she seems to be eating a little better but still acts like she isn't hungry when she eats.

I haven't seen her drink or nurse or go as much so I did call the vet yesterday and they said just let the medicine work and if you still don't see any changes bring her in Monday.

She also still acts fatigue.

Thanks for the nice comments, please keep on praying!

Thanks,

Jamie

Can you get some "NutiCal?" Fabulous stuff! May give her a boost of energy. Any vet carries it, safe for any animal. Put a big gob on your finger and swip into her moth, sweet and yummy, packed with good stuff and calories.

that happened to me with the gelding i work with and we gave 2 doses of banamine and that woke him right up(especially the needle in the neck
wink.gif
)

Latest posts

Back