My Febuary Filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have one at the house right now that we are bording for some people that had a barn fire,

he is so sweet
default_wub.png
and is very loveing, But he has been with the full size Miniatures his hole life and he was very thin when he came to us. His owner is a real good guy but could not tell that he was thin because of all the hair he thought he was fat and he thinks that that is what people are breading for and was going to let him bread
default_no.gif
We have started letting him know that it is not a good idea but I don't know if it is helping. I think they are very cute but they need more care and someone to give them extra love
default_wub.png

Good luck with her you are going to fall in love with her.

Aww--what a cute wee girl. There's a lot of love happening at your house.
default_wub.png
We'd love to see her grow.
default_yes.gif

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (I didn't see it anyway) is that if a mare and stallion produce a dwarf--they should not be bred to each other again. Just wanted to mention that....

Hi Lexi,
default_saludando.gif

Yes, your little filly is a dwarf, as all here have pointed out!
default_wub.png
But she's as cute as a bug!
default_yes.gif
She appears to be in need of some "Magic Shoes to get her up on her hooves! Please join us on Little Bit's so we can help you care for your beautiful little girl!

I want to thank all who replied for sending Lexi to Little Bit's and for all your kindness to her and her speical baby!

Bill

A sweet baby.. a dwarf.. not normal.. seek a vet.. and love her..
default_wub.png
Vet has been out several times since day one. Says she is not a dwarf.. may have some dwarf characteristics bc she has he fathers dominant head. Only thing wrong with her is she has soft pasterns.. has been looking much better since then.

Also, I have bred the same mare and stallion many times and have had many perfect babys.. perfect bite and everything. vet also warned me of this until she saw their other shared off spring.

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR KIND AND POSITIVE COMMENTS!!

I love her very much. I plan on posting newer pics of her tonight!

Thanks again!

Alexsa

ALSO: I have her full brother for sale/ trade for a mare. he is a stallion, 2yo, sorrel 30" AMHA reg. and perfect bite, not a big head like my new lil baby. If anyone is interested or knows anyone interested please let me know. Thanks!

If the vet says the filly has "some dwarf characteristics" it IS a dwarf. Two horses can be bred several times and produce normal foals and then a dwarf will appear. It is in their genes and when the two genes combine, the result is a dwarf. You really shouldn't breed them again. It can happen again.

Also, you need to listen to the folks here that have dwarves and know what they are talking about. Just a suggestion.
default_rolleyes.gif

Lexi, she is simply adorable!!

I thought she looked like a dwarf too, but that doesnt mean you should let that get you down..

You just dont want to breed her. but you can give her so much LOVE!! She will be your new best friend and its ok that you cant show her, no biggee.. You can nursure her and get all the best hugs...

I want to just hug her up myself!!

We do want to see more pix, she is just so cute!!

Do look at people who have dwarfs and take their advice. They will be glad to help you keep her healthy and love her...

She is so sweet. She will be a sweet pet to keep. If you decide not to keep her, a lot of times a beautiful little dwarf makes a wonderful guide horse or therapy horse. Look at guide horse foundation.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Vet has been out several times since day one. Says she is not a dwarf.. may have some dwarf characteristics bc she has he fathers dominant head. Only thing wrong with her is she has soft pasterns.. has been looking much better since then.
The vet is wrong. She is a dwarf - and a sweet one at that! Dwarf characteristics = dwarf.

Do you have a picture of the stallion?

Also, I have bred the same mare and stallion many times and have had many perfect babys.. perfect bite and everything. vet also warned me of this until she saw their other shared off spring.
As the dwarf gene is supected of being recessive - there is only a 25% chance of two carriers producing a dwarf from that particular cross... so yes, you can breed the same pair many times and have regular foals until a Special One like Amira arrives.

I love her very much. I plan on posting newer pics of her tonight!
Can't wait to see them!
default_wub.png

If you decide not to keep her, alot of time a beautiful little dwarf makes a wonderful guide horse or therapy horse. Look at guide horse foundation.
[SIZE=14pt]NO.[/SIZE]

A dwarf with all their special needs does NOT make "a wonderful guide horse".... and that is as far as I dare to go on that subject....
default_sad.png

It will not ever be in your vets best interest to tell you what you can and can't breed, (sadly for many horses in this world) they are there to do You a service, and costumer care is important. Also I know many many Wonderful vets, (I live about 20 min North of Wellington, We just had the Olympic trials here a few weeks ago if that gives you any thought as to the caliber of vets here.) and 90% of these amazing vets, who are top in the world, will tell you they know next to nothing about minis, and their conformation, and so on.

However, that sweet sweet girl of yours is most certainly a dwarf. Perhaps not as afflicted as others, but still a dwarf.

While there are some proof of chemical and environmental factors causing dwarfism, the fact of the matter is, it is still a terrible burden on the animal involved.

Their sweet nature and want to please makes the difficulties even more heart breaking. I would strongly suggest you do some homework into the digestive and leg issues of these animals.

(I would also vote a no for the guide horse, horses are flight animals, and that's about all I'll say-
default_shutup.gif
, however a therapy horse that goes and visits children and such would be a perfect job for her if she becomes strong enough! )

There have been Many on this forum who have been kind enough to share their stories with their dwarves, and then did the responsible thing, and never crossed those two again. Or even in some cases, never used either parent for breeding again. Ever. It's a tough call and choice, but it's a call made in the best interest of the breed. I know very few who do this for money and go anywhere with it. It's all about the horses, and what is best for Them.

It's not testable yet via DNA, but it's just as cruel as LWO, or HYPP positive to me if you knew there was even a Chance of it.

These guys don't ask to be brought into this world, we are the caregivers who make all their choices for them. I find it only fair to make the Best ones for them, and even having the chance of more dwarves, is not a fair choice.

I am not trying to attack you, I just feel very strongly on this issue. It's very easy to get defensive about your babies on here, esp when you were so excited to share and everyone comes out and tells you she's "off".

But for Her sake and future foals, take a second and listen to all the wonderful wonderful people here.

This is The Best Place for you to learn about minis on the net, really and truly.

Wish you all the luck, and if you ever want to drop her off in my yard I would be telling a lie if I said I wouldn't promptly put her in her own labeled stall and put Marty hair scrunchies (Pink of course) all over!

Lexi, your little filly is cute and who could not love her? Just precious and I love her name. I hope that when she is weaned and a little older you are able to take her to nursing homes and places like that to show her. The folks in the nursing homes would love to have a visit I am sure by one that is so sweet. Also if you wanted to give a short program for them you could do some studying on the many kinds of dwarfs and share your knowledge with them. She is very special and I hope you can do some sharing of her with others. It will make you feel great and just as rewarding as a blue ribbon! Love her! Lavonne

Even with today's pictures, she is still a dwarf. Both parents obviously have dwarf characteristics and this time they produced a full fledge dwarf. Sorry, but it happens. Doesn't mean you can't be proud of her or love her. The reality is, she is a dwarf.

Ooooh - Amira is such a silver fuzzball now!
default_wub.png

One suggestion I might offer after seeing these photos - please get a farrier to work on her feet if you have not done so already - her toes will need to be taken back and special attention paid to hoof care... our Cowboy (same colour as Amira!) requires about 3 times as much farrier work as any of the other minis... and he is 6 now.

Lucky Amira - to be born into such a loving family! And you were right when you said...

She's a miracle..
That she is!

Amira is the cutest thing I've seen today.

She is for sure a dwarf. I think the current pictures show that even more than the original ones.

She can be a great pet and I know I'd love her a lot if she were mine.

Maybe you can look at Bill's pictures of his dwarves and I think that will help you see that Amira is very similar (and cute cute CUTE).

Latest posts

Back