My experience with phone bidding at

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laura... many DO still end their days on a truck bound for horse slaughter.

Except, thanks to the ban, their trip is much longer and more miserable on their way to Mexico...

Andrea

Laura..we must have been posting at the same time.

I paid $5000.00 for two mares ( package deal)...I don't think I would call them junk.

I wouldn't call ANY ANIMAL Junk. I don't care if they are 50.00 or 5000.00 or 50,000.00

I can fully understand where the seller (the owner) is coming from. The whole idea of selling your horse at an auction is generally because you want it sold 'now' and you want the money 'now'. Auctions, generally speaking, are not where you get your highest selling price, so usually if a person is selling at an auction, normally they are doing so to get the deal 'done'.

If you are looking to buy a horse at someone's farm, I know that if you want to get a lower price on a horse, you can often offer the owner a 'cash' price. Such as, if the horse is for sale for $1500, you might say, "Would you consider letting it go for $1000? I have the cash, I can pay you right away?" The owner might be tempted, as they weigh the advantage to themselves of selling the horse for less money, vs. the hassle and delayed return of accepting payments. So, they may agree to the lower price. At most 'farm' sales, they are wanting to get the best price, and tend to be willing to hold onto the horse for a while to get it.

At an auction, it is almost completely opposite. The horse is there so the sale will be accomplished quickly. Generally, the owner has already decided they are willing to take a lower price, as they have already weighed the money vs. time and hassle factor, and opted for the quicker 'cash' sale price they receive from the auction.

I think it is perfectlly reasonable for the owner to have stated that she would take payments, but ONLY if the price was high enough to offset the time and hassle factor. In this instance, the owner had alread dropped that price from $15,000 to $10,000, which is quite a drop. So, you were told that the lowest 'payment' price was $10,000. That meant you would have to bid $10,000, or you would not be offered a payment plan. From your explainaton, it sounded like your 'top' dollar was $7,000, even for a payment sale. This should have been where you said, "Thank you, but there is no way I will be able to buy this horse.", and hung up the phone.

Yes, you have every right to be sad and frustrated, but your frustration should be directed at the fact that you didn't have enough cash to buy the horse you wanted. Especially since the 'cash' price was below what you could have paid, IF it had been a 'payment' deal. But, your frustration shouldn't be in any way directed at the owner or the person putting on the sale. It sounded to me like they went out of their way to even consider a 'payment' plan for an 'auction' horse.

I do feel your pain at not getting the horse that had stolen your heart. Many is the time that I have not been able to get a 'good' deal on something I really wanted because I didn't have the money available at the time. Hopefully, another horse will come along that is what you want.

Price isn't always an indication of quality and it doesn't really matter what words you would or wouldn't use to discribe an animal. I looked up the word "junk" and believe Robin meant that she thought the horses were of poor quality and/or low value. So what? That doesn't mean they were more or less likely to end up on a slaughter truck than many of the horses I see advertised on the saleboard, even if they did go through a sale intended for poorer quality/lower value horses.

R3 ..thank you for your post.

I do wish I would have called instead of trying through e-mail ( I was trying to respect the family and not call at a bad time). I tried several times to get answers..( I wanted everything in writing before the auction took place).

As stated SO MANY TIMES ALREADY Robin knew how much money I had....I knew how much I was willing to spend. If I would have been told NO PAYMENT PLAN...then it would have stopped there.

The second time Robin told me my payment plan had been excepted...BUT...My minium bid had to be $10,000.00 I did tell her I could NOT do that.

I asked twice if I could place a bid and I was not ALLOWED unless I placed a $10,000.00 bid.

You are right...I am sure Robin is under alot of stress....I have been in EXTREME stress...but, I do not think that was an excuse for attacking me.

I have kept a couple of things off the forum...that did happen...because I was trying to learn..and teach other people.

Latest posts

Back