My Driving Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
Hi, I posted on a thread about the TMHV show coming up in a few weeks saying that I would be showing this guy in CPD, showmanship, hunter, jumper, and versatility. I feel he's pretty strong in showmanship and hunter, but I question his driving abilities.

So, I ask you Country pleasure drivers out there... What do you think of him? And what do you see that needs work and could be improved upon. From my untrained eye, I think he needs more engagement from behind. When I try to get an extention on him, I don't really see it. All I see is a fast and slow. I may be wrong, but that's what I see. Other than that I am clueless as to what to look for. I'm new to showing(minis), new to driving, and I'm the one that has trained him from the beginning.

Please don't hold back on this critique. I am eager to learn what I can. Even if you think he'll never making in driving, tell me. I'm use to being told what I have and what I lack in with the big horses so I can take it. If you feel more comfortable PMing me please do.

Anyway here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSOledEYpE

I really don't see a difference in an extension either. Just looked like he was trotting around in circles at the same speed. But the video was a bit blurry to really see the action in his legs (that's just my opinion). But he has a nice head set to me. Just take him to the show and see how he does.
default_smile.png
Then you can see what needs to be worked on. I know I have a horse that works different at home and at the shows. Good luck with him!
default_biggrin.png

Hi there! First of all, nice gelding.
default_yes.gif
He's got a pretty and consistent headset on him and looks to be nicely built. The very first thing I would do in this case is raise your tug loops and sit deeper in the cart seat to remove the weight that is currently on his back. It's very hard for a horse to round up and extend when the middle of their back is being pushed down and I suspect his may be from the way he's moving. Your posture is good, just move yourself further back on the seat!

You're right that he needs more engagement and that there's no real difference when you ask him to trot on. I'm going to let others chime in on that as I'm not entirely sure how to get it with a check on but I suspect lots of gentle walk-trot-trot on-walk transitions would help as would collecting him into your hand on the corners then urging him to lengthen on the straightaways. Good luck!

He's a handsome boy.
default_wub.png

Leia

Hi Hobbyhorse,

You mentioned not knowing how to get engagement with the check, how would you do it without the check? I'm not opposed to taking it off for now and adding it back later after getting the basics down. As it is right now, it is very loose. (so loose that he still attempts to eat grass when we are standing still) His head set is pretty natural, so even without a check at all he keeps it where its at in the video.

I'll definitely fix the tugs and try to sit back. It's a bad habit of mine. I start out at the back of the seat, but eventually slide forward after a while. I'm even worse in a show-cart.

Thanks,

Steph

He's not tracking up. Try some ground driving with him and look for his hind foot to land in the same spot the front foot just left. That's the easiest way for me to tell if I've got impulsion. You may have to let him drop his head a little more for now while he strenghten's up. Try ground driving with a lower headset and see if he tracks up then. If so, he's got it, he just needs to build muscle.

If he doesn't have it, he still moves as well as 50% of the horses that show. It will just be hard to get those stakes wins without true impulsion/extension.

Good like you've done a good job with him.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Oh yeah, like Leia says a lot of walk, trot, canter transistions on the lunge line. Push him into a canter and then bring him back to a trot. That will help him use his hind end better. You don't need a check unless he tries to graze while driving. Let him learn to carry himself - self carriage is collection. No false head placement to begin with.

I have one that can trot and graze at the same time.
default_wacko.png

Thanks everybody!

I'll get busy putting these tips to work as soon as the mud dries up
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back