My donkey friends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited the donkey today. I had asked the owner the possibility to separate him and if I could go inside the pen with him, so today was my first time in the pen with Jeffrey. There are still some goats with him. I was able to give him scratches a few times from his rump to his cross. I could not get close to his head. He would not take a carrot from me. There was a halter on the ground and when I picked it up he was hurrying away :oops:Chandab, trying to take my time like you said.
Timeline to bring him home is now 2nd week in April

I visited the donkey today. I had asked the owner the possibility to separate him and if I could go inside the pen with him, so today was my first time in the pen with Jeffrey. There are still some goats with him. I was able to give him scratches a few times from his rump to his cross. I could not get close to his head. He would not take a carrot from me. There was a halter on the ground and when I picked it up he was hurrying away :oops:Chandab, trying to take my time like you said.
Timeline to bring him home is now 2nd week in April
Just want to say, that donkeys are definitely different from horses with regard to their willingness to do what you want them to do, especially if they don't know you. They will only do what they want to do when they want to do it and in my experience can't be coerced into doing anything that doesn't feel safe, treat or no treat. I've had my 2 girls for almost their entire lives, which is 12 years and they will still occasionally move away from me if they're not in the mood for a pat, brushing or even a treat. If I hang out for a bit, they will eventually come up to me and beg for attention. Donkeys can be moody, funny and weird, it's part of their charm. Perhaps, if you just stood inside the enclosure with Jeffrey, he might come over to you once he feels safe. Anyway, I hope you don't get discouraged, he'll come around. Good Luck.

Thank you 1roadtoad I'm not discouraged at all. It will be a lot better once he is at my home and not with those goats. :) Talking to the owner today they don't get close to his head either. I am open to any advice you can pass along.:)

Working with a donkey, it definitely comes down to their decision to work with you, if they feel like it.
I've had Tilly since she was a weanling, definitely different than working with a horse, but she is actually better behaved than half my horses. They usually won't do anything they deem dangerous, nor without thinking it through first.
You may need to try a different "bride" than a carrot, depending on what he is used to eating. If you have hay pellets, that might work better, as they'd be less suspicious than carrots or apples.

Working with a donkey, it definitely comes down to their decision to work with you, if they feel like it.
I've had Tilly since she was a weanling, definitely different than working with a horse, but she is actually better behaved than half my horses. They usually won't do anything they deem dangerous, nor without thinking it through first.
You may need to try a different "bride" than a carrot, depending on what he is used to eating. If you have hay pellets, that might work better, as they'd be less suspicious than carrots or apples.
Thank you Chandab I will bring some for my next visit. I was thinking of wearing a rope around me just so he sees it. Not in my hand or to touch him with it at this time. If I can get close again to give him scratches with having a rope close would be great, I think

The rope is a good idea HM, and it is terrific you can visit before he comes home!

chandab has a good idea about the hay pellets. I’m truly embarrassed to admit this, but Madelaine has been a member of our family since 2014 and I’ve tried every treat under heaven with her and gotten nowhere. About two or three weeks ago, I casually handed her a hay cube (our old horse, Cochise eats them) and she loved it. 😳 All those years of feeding hay pellets and it never once entered my brain that a hay cube might actually be a treat to Maddie. 🥴

I’m flat out not smart enough to live with a donkey. 😂

PS. 😂 I forgot to ask you about your donkey’s name, Jeffrey, if I remember right? It got me thinking about donkey names, as I’ve not met a donkey that didn’t have a ‘people’ name. There is a respected donkey ranch in southern MN and I believe all of their donkeys carry typical people names.

Maybe someone knows if that is tradition or perhaps just prevalent in certain areas?

PS. 😂 I forgot to ask you about your donkey’s name, Jeffrey, if I remember right? It got me thinking about donkey names, as I’ve not met a donkey that didn’t have a ‘people’ name. There is a respected donkey ranch in southern MN and I believe all of their donkeys carry typical people names.

Maybe someone knows if that is tradition or perhaps just prevalent in certain areas?
The name association is interesting. The 2 mini donkeys where I volunteer names are Christian and Joshua. My neighbor knows of a mini donkey named Cooper. :)

This name thing is interesting. I never thought about it, but it's strange that every animal I've ever owned, cats, dogs, hamsters, (1 iguana) and horses, I have given names that are definitely not people names, yet I named my donkeys Charlotte and Willow which are people names. Maybe it just happens?! I also have a Cooper (mini horse, but it's after my Mini Cooper car, not a person.

Another visit with Jeffrey today. I walked down the hill, rope around my shoulders, pockets full of carrots and alfalfa pellets, to see all 6 goats, 2 standard donkeys and little Jeffrey in the same pen. They met me at the gate. Jeffrey and one other donkey staying back. I made friends with one donkey quickly. He loved the pellets and carrots. Jeffrey watched as I scratched and fed that donkey. I think that help Jeffrey seeing me with him. I was able to scratch Jeffrey up to his shoulders and a bit of his neck. I offered him a carrot but he wouldn't take it from my hand. I offered alfalfa pellets, the same response and he wasn't faster than the goats to eat the pellets off the ground 🤣. A little bit of progress making my way to his cute face.

I have a lead on a mini horse for Mint, but again the Mother nature has intervened. Raining today & for most of the week. We have had a lot of rain for our area , so again, I'm waiting for safe travel to go see him. I'm finding humor with Mother nature holding me off with finding Mint a buddy or buddies 🤣

I love donkeys. They'll tell you in no uncertain terms that you're not the horse person you think you are! Very humbling. At least my 3 have been for me. But I know they've made me a better, more creative trainer in the end. Yes, they can take longer to train into a behavior or purpose, but once they have it, they're usually bang on to do it regardless of when or where. I've got friends who train mules for extreme cowboy competition! I've learned SO MUCH from them. The biggest take away is that sometimes you have to "speak" more LOUDLY to the donkey/mule. Make things more clear. This was difficult for me at first because the clarity Phillippe needed from me was in the form of rein direction in the bridle. He would bully me, pull me around with the bit. I think myself an effective and fair trainer and by the look of my horses, that is a true statement - normally. But Phillippe needed me to make things more clear about whoa means whoa, and if you're cooperative with me, I can be very gentle with you. He needed me to give him more clear boundaries. That's where a twisted liverpool came in... And 95% of the time, I can be light and gentle with it. But 5% of the time, I need to be firm and even strong. And I'm glad that I have the tool for that 5% of time when I need it. I can't imagine going back to struggling with a mullen mouth half cheek. I do hope that I can go back to using it one day, but not until we're past the training side of things.

I've been planning this day to bring Jeffrey home for a while. He has not been handled much. No halter, maybe a rope around his neck at times the owner said. He has not been in a trailer since they had him, 10 years. I prepared for a very long patience day. He was in a pen with 6 goats and 2 standard donkeys. I'm happy to say Jeffrey stayed fairly calm even once we separated him from the other donkeys. He walked up to the gate and trailer area and I came in behind with a 6 ft corral panel. My helpers moved in to form a line. He stood still. I let him think about it a little and took 2 steps forward and he turned and hopped in the trailer. About 30 minutes for the situation. We all were so surprised. Once home home he hopped out and brayed, like " hello you minis, I'm here." All three seem calm together, though they are in separate pens for now. :)

Latest posts

Back