My donkey friends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so excited for your long-ears adventures! I LOVE the donkeys I've had. It's just amazing, my mini donkeys (both gelded jacks) have been SO AFFECTIONATE! I didn't expect that at all. Phillippe will actually leave his food (which rules his life) to come to me for hugs and cuddles.

Yes, the training portion is similar, but the process can be quite a different pace. A donkey must feel SAFE. When introducing something new, the donkey will need to investigate and consider everything until they understand they are not in any danger. Once they have a concept, they are GOLDEN! So it may take a lot longer to introduce something new to a donkey, but once they have it, you can build on that thing faster than with horses, in my experience.

They are also STRONG. Stronger than you'd expect a small body to be. Some are found to be real bullies (cough, Phillippe, cough) in the bridle. My long-ears friends have shared the concept of long ears being "hard of hearing" (hearing = sensitivity) in the bridle. Sometimes you just need to speak more loudly and clearly until they understand the message. Sometimes it is very warranted to be firm.

Anyways, I hope you have so much fun!!! Once he realizes you give bum scratches, he will want to be with you always!

I'm so excited for your long-ears adventures! I LOVE the donkeys I've had. It's just amazing, my mini donkeys (both gelded jacks) have been SO AFFECTIONATE! I didn't expect that at all. Phillippe will actually leave his food (which rules his life) to come to me for hugs and cuddles.

Yes, the training portion is similar, but the process can be quite a different pace. A donkey must feel SAFE. When introducing something new, the donkey will need to investigate and consider everything until they understand they are not in any danger. Once they have a concept, they are GOLDEN! So it may take a lot longer to introduce something new to a donkey, but once they have it, you can build on that thing faster than with horses, in my experience.

They are also STRONG. Stronger than you'd expect a small body to be. Some are found to be real bullies (cough, Phillippe, cough) in the bridle. My long-ears friends have shared the concept of long ears being "hard of hearing" (hearing = sensitivity) in the bridle. Sometimes you just need to speak more loudly and clearly until they understand the message. Sometimes it is very warranted to be firm.

Anyways, I hope you have so much fun!!! Once he realizes you give bum scratches, he will want to be with you always!
What is it with the butt scratches??😆 The mini donkeys I'm around at the ranch love those too:)

Madeline is feed the same feed as the minis. In winter they usually receive 1/2# of alfalfa pellets twice a day with free choice hay. In late Spring and Summer they have reduced hay and 1/2# pellets total. Salt blocks free choice. Madelaine, however, does not go on pasture . She is a very easy keeper!

Hi all, What do you feed your donkeys? Do you feed your donkeys the same as your minis?
Donkeys are usually considered very easy keepers, they are more efficient at extracting nutrients from their feed, so don't need full dosage of feeds or supplements (one feed company I spoke with said they recommend feeding to donkeys 75% of the horse serving - so a donkey of 250# would get 75% of what a horse of 250# would get). Most will say no alfalfa for donkeys, due to the high protein and calorie content, but I know of some that are fed alfalfa without issue (I use timothy pellets to mix supplements into for my donkey, she does not need any extra calories); usually clean grass hay is all they need (I do give mine some trimmings off my birch tree when I need to trim it, she likes to chew on them). If the donkey you are getting is a good weight, find out what the owners have been feeding (although if sweet feed is in the mix, I'd drop that).

Madeline is feed the same feed as the minis. In winter they usually receive 1/2# of alfalfa pellets twice a day with free choice hay. In late Spring and Summer they have reduced hay and 1/2# pellets total. Salt blocks free choice. Madelaine, however, does not go on pasture . She is a very easy keeper!
Great, thank you. I have talked to the husband about feed but he didn't know to much.

Donkeys are usually considered very easy keepers, they are more efficient at extracting nutrients from their feed, so don't need full dosage of feeds or supplements (one feed company I spoke with said they recommend feeding to donkeys 75% of the horse serving - so a donkey of 250# would get 75% of what a horse of 250# would get). Most will say no alfalfa for donkeys, due to the high protein and calorie content, but I know of some that are fed alfalfa without issue (I use timothy pellets to mix supplements into for my donkey, she does not need any extra calories); usually clean grass hay is all they need (I do give mine some trimmings off my birch tree when I need to trim it, she likes to chew on them). If the donkey you are getting is a good weight, find out what the owners have been feeding (although if sweet feed is in the mix, I'd drop that).
Thank you, The daughter is who takes care of the animals now. I haven't met her to ask questions. The weather has been an issue to bring him home. I want to learn what I can. I'm excited to bring him home.

Last edited:
Did you pick him up today?? Did you touch him yet? 😁
Hi, No donkey yet. We have had rain, snow and wind all last week and forecast for this week too, so waiting for better weather. He is 30 minutes from me, more in the hills, which gets hit more. Then add to it the property, is on a hill and the animals are at the bottom of the property. We are waiting until the ground hardens up before we attempt that. Bad timing to have rain in southern CA 🤣

Latest posts

Back