My donkey friends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going today to look at a mini donkey for a companion to my mini mare. I am around mini donkeys where I volunteer but I know that it is different having one myself. Asking for adive on what to ask the owner and what to look for with the donkey. They don't know his age, they got him from a rescue. Is age approximate by teeth like horses? He has been with other animals and gets along fine. Hard to catch but says leads. That is all I know. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

Absolutely, make sure he is gelded. [Ungelded jacks can be dangerous, and are not for the less experienced. Jacks are a love the one you are with type, so don't discriminate, and will happily cover mares.]
Fairly similar for aging by teeth.
Check out how he's being fed, they are extremely easy keepers, so usually need lower caliber hay than horses and at most a ration balancer, but often a vitamin/mineral supplement is plenty.

Absolutely, make sure he is gelded. [Ungelded jacks can be dangerous, and are not for the less experienced. Jacks are a love the one you are with type, so don't discriminate, and will happily cover mares.]
Fairly similar for aging by teeth.
Check out how he's being fed, they are extremely easy keepers, so usually need lower caliber hay than horses and at most a ration balancer, but often a vitamin/mineral supplement is plenty.
Hi, Yes, he is gelded. I still will be looking for a mini horse as well. Do you think one mini donkey and 2 mini horses will be an okay herd?

Exciting HersheyMint!! My mini donkey is very low key around the minis and when one or two leave for a walk she is just fine. She is an easy keeper as chandab mentions. I would ask the current owner how the donkey is with farrier work and grooming in general. Madelaine is fine alone in the paddock but does not enjoy walking far by herself, she prefers a buddy but will travel about 1/2 a mile alone without balking. She is somewhat vocal and brays in the morning when she hears us walking out the door, or evening feed, or just trying to sneak in the barn.😁 I understand they can live up to 40 years or so. Maddie is 21 and healthy.

We love her. 💕

Attachments

• A9802F8B-7E2A-45E3-A49A-5825F49AA58C.jpeg
    A9802F8B-7E2A-45E3-A49A-5825F49AA58C.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 2
Thanks HM! ☺️

A few years ago, a former neighbor of the earlier owner, referred to Madelaine as “the naughty donkey”. I have never found her ‘naughty’ just uncertain about expectation and that made two of us! In my limited experience, she learns new things similar to the minis, but a bit slower, or perhaps thoughtful is a better word. She needs time to ponder the situation. 😂

I agree with the owner of your prospect. Time and attention and hugs. 🤗

I went and saw the mini donkey. He is in a pen with about 5 goats and 2 standard size donkeys. I could not get near him. His feet need trimmed. He seems mellow but the other animals kind of push him around. I have a good feeling of the owner and he told me there has not been any issues on his health. This sounds crazy but I bought him without touching him!
I don't know when I will bring him home, waiting on good weather. We have high winds, rain and snow on the way.
I will still look for a mini horse for Mint(and me)
image0.jpeg

I am glad that you are considering a donkey as a companion for your mini. My vet suggested that I get a mini donkey as a companion for my mini horse when her pasture mate died. I wasn’t keen on the idea, because I knew nothing about donkeys and had always been a “horse” person. I ended up with 2, one year old sisters. That was 11 years ago and I have never regretted my decision, not for a moment. My girls are incredibly sweet and funny. They only bray occasionally and are not loud at all. My mini horse Lady and the girls got along great until Lady passed away. Now I have the 2 girls (donks) and the 2 mini gelding horses I got last year to keep them company. The never ending cycle😩. As everyone has said, donkeys are real, easy keepers, so you just want to be sure not to over feed them. I find for the most part, their care is the same as it is for horses. The big difference between my horses and donkeys, is that my donkeys do what they want, when they want, not what I want. They are very deliberate about where they go and place their feet very carefully. They won’t do anything they think is unsafe. Not the same fright and flight exhibited by horses. If you do decide to get a donkey, I think you’ll wonder why you didn’t get one sooner!
Looks like as I’m writing this you got a donkey! Congrats, you’ll love him!

I am glad that you are considering a donkey as a companion for your mini. My vet suggested that I get a mini donkey as a companion for my mini horse when her pasture mate died. I wasn’t keen on the idea, because I knew nothing about donkeys and had always been a “horse” person. I ended up with 2, one year old sisters. That was 11 years ago and I have never regretted my decision, not for a moment. My girls are incredibly sweet and funny. They only bray occasionally and are not loud at all. My mini horse Lady and the girls got along great until Lady passed away. Now I have the 2 girls (donks) and the 2 mini gelding horses I got last year to keep them company. The never ending cycle😩. As everyone has said, donkeys are real, easy keepers, so you just want to be sure not to over feed them. I find for the most part, their care is the same as it is for horses. The big difference between my horses and donkeys, is that my donkeys do what they want, when they want, not what I want. They are very deliberate about where they go and place their feet very carefully. They won’t do anything they think is unsafe. Not the same fright and flight exhibited by horses. If you do decide to get a donkey, I think you’ll wonder why you didn’t get one sooner!
Looks like as I’m writing this you got a donkey! Congrats, you’ll love him!
Hi and thank you. I love your story. It sounds familiar🙂 I know I have lots to learn. I will be coming back here often Thank you all

Congratulations 🎉 He is adorable! Have you picked a name out yet?
He's name is Jeffrey. I'm not fond of that. I will wait until he is here and I've been around him to get a feel for a name. My weather may clear for one day on Sunday to pick him up.
A issue I see is loading him in the trailer. He has been with owner for 10 yrs (so I know he is older than that, now) and I don't think he has been in a trailer for a long time.
Does anyone have suggestions loading donkeys? :)

Hi, Yes, he is gelded. I still will be looking for a mini horse as well. Do you think one mini donkey and 2 mini horses will be an okay herd?
one of my "herds" is that mix. I have a mare, a senior stallion (infertile as best I can tell) and my jenny in a paddock together; the mare and jenny are quite bonded and the stallion loves both his girls. They seem to get along just fine. I got the jenny as a weanling in a year that the mare lost a foal, they bonded almost instantaneously.

Attachments

• Tilly - May 18, 2014 - with Baybe and Che.jpg
    Tilly - May 18, 2014 - with Baybe and Che.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks HM! ☺️

A few years ago, a former neighbor of the earlier owner, referred to Madelaine as “the naughty donkey”. I have never found her ‘naughty’ just uncertain about expectation and that made two of us! In my limited experience, she learns new things similar to the minis, but a bit slower, or perhaps thoughtful is a better word. She needs time to ponder the situation. 😂

I agree with the owner of your prospect. Time and attention and hugs. 🤗
You don't tell a donkey anything, you ask them. Time is always your friend working with donkeys, they contemplate all sides before deciding to comply or not.

He's name is Jeffrey. I'm not fond of that. I will wait until he is here and I've been around him to get a feel for a name. My weather may clear for one day on Sunday to pick him up.
A issue I see is loading him in the trailer. He has been with owner for 10 yrs (so I know he is older than that, now) and I don't think he has been in a trailer for a long time.
Does anyone have suggestions loading donkeys? :)
Give him time to access the situation, and if he's food motivated, by all means use food to encourage him onto the trailer. I do believe when I brought my jenny home as a weanling we did have to help her onto the trailer, but it was a bit of a step up for her, so we helped.
Get to know him, he may "tell" you his name after you get to know him.
Mine came with her name, and it does fit her. She's a registered donkey, her name is Tilly.
Here's one of her weirdo pictures, she's rubbing her back on the loading chute.

Attachments

• Tilly - aug 4, 2016 - under loading chute.jpg
    Tilly - aug 4, 2016 - under loading chute.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 0
one of my "herds" is that mix. I have a mare, a senior stallion (infertile as best I can tell) and my jenny in a paddock together; the mare and jenny are quite bonded and the stallion loves both his girls. They seem to get along just fine. I got the jenny as a weanling in a year that the mare lost a foal, they bonded almost instantaneously.
Aw, Look how cute they are! Good to know.
I feel better now that someone will be out there with Mint. It seems it will take a while before I find a mini horse for her, unless one drops into my lap like the donkey did. I feel this little guy will be a blessing. I'm planning on putting in a lot of time with him.

Maddie was similar in that she hadn’t been in a trailer for about 12 years. We were very fortunate when we loaded the trailer with several of her friends and she simply walked in after. Then we off loaded the others and off we went. Would Jeffrey follow the little goats into the trailer?

Latest posts

Back