My Donkey Family is here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
No brays!!!! Not one little peep out of them. I think I have brayless donkeys
default_new_shocked.gif
They are very timid and it is going to take a while for them to come around. And my mini horses, are of course afraid of them. All you can hear are these loud snorts coming from the horses. They are adorable and I have just been sitting with them, and I see them watching me while I am doing chores. They are just soaking it all in, and I am not pushing it right now...letting them get settled in. I have been picking out little things to be able to tell them apart.

Donkey%20Jack%208-21-08%20web.jpg
This one is easy to tell from the others...he is the Mr Donkey "Jack"

Donkey%20and%20youngest%20baby%208-21-08.jpg
Jenny with a baby that is 6 days old
default_wub.png

Donkeys3%208-21-08%20web.jpg
Donkeys%208-21-08%20web.jpg

Donkeys7%208-21-08%20web.jpg
Yep I got me a whole mess of Donks. But have you ever heard of brayless donks?

Be careful what you wish for!
default_rolleyes.gif

They are beautiful. I think that, once they get settled in, they'll be much more friendly, and more vocal!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Wow! That's quite the herd. That baby is too cute. Congrats on your new additions, just wait until they DO start braying, you said there are 14 right?
default_laugh.png

JUst wait!! When we got our first jennies it took them a couple weeks to feel comfortable enough to bray!! Once they associate you with food they will be calling you every time they see you!!
default_laugh.png

They are very nice looking kids!! You need some spots though!!
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

Awww.brayless donkeys...I remember those days..
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif
we'll give you a few months and then I will ask you if they are still brayless
default_laugh.png
They will need some time to settle in, but once they do.... In the meantime keep a good supple of animal crackers and graham crackers in your pockets. I use those for "in between treats" and there good and nurishing. (sp) Enjoy your new long ear family and they are adorable. Thanks for the pictures. Corinne

You have a very special family there. Congrats!!!! You will love the bray when you here it, again and again and again. I never get tired of it. But 14, can't imagine what that will sound like. Loud I bet.
default_new_shocked.gif
Give them all hugs especially that cute little baby. Adorable
default_wub.png

I am winning my little donks over in little baby steps....I'm going to have some fat donks LOL I don't think these little donkeys have ever seen feed...and what am I doing spoiling them........HEY...I am trying to make friends. Today I fixed up a smaller pen to call the into and then a even smaller pen in that, they have two pastures...but I wanted to get them in a smaller pen so I could get closer to them and keep them in it at night...I needed the smallest one because the little week old baby has some cuts on her legs, she came that way they said she got under the fence...by the cuts must have been barb wire. Now I can catch her and clean it up, and put some medicine on it and HOLD her awww
default_wub.png
Tonight I was able to just call them in it...I hollar come on donkey donks
default_rolleyes.gif
A couple of the babies almost brayed and my stupid dog started barking and spoiled it.
default_sad.png

Is it just me or does donkey poop smell different than horse poop?

And yes I would love some spots...but hubby says NO more. I have found a little spotted Jack......I would luv to have! But for now I am in donkey heaven....even the ole man sits out there and watches them.

That's too cool! I'd love to have a few more donkeys but Kilroy won't let me. Yes, to me donkey poop smells different than horse poop. When it rains here, Kilroy's corral almost smells like an elk. They seem to have a bit of a wild smell to it. I don't mind though!

default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

I am so happy that the "kids" all arrived safely.....I can not imagine 15 all at once!

Just wait till they start to "sing"... a whole choir!!!

It must be hard to put all the names to faces...but what fun!!

Congrats!!

Thanks everyone, so nice to have you to share my excitement with,

None of my little donkeys have names, as I understand it they came from a large herd, and the people I traded for them had only had them a couple of months. Got them for the kids but the Donkeys have never been socialized with people....appartently just left out in a big pasture to multiply by a elderly man.

They are coming around, the Jack has brayed twice
default_wub.png
He is from what little I know, has a nice comformation and is small...and I am afraid may be related to some of the Jennys, I have asked and they didn't know but said he could very well be. So now I want a spotted Jack, hubby asked what I would do with the one I have...I guess geld him and keep him or try to make a nice pet of him for someone. He said you have another boy to sell, 1 of the 4 babies is a Jack. I told him I needed to sell all the babies and he said I don't think we can sell the one I was holding. Heres a picture of the ole man holding the baby so I can doctor her legs. And myself trying to brib the older ones.

larry_and_baby_donkweb.jpg

nancy_and_donks_web.jpg
nancy_and_donk_taking_a_bits_web.jpg

oh my what a wonderful herd. Love your photo. made me chuckle to see so many donkeys together.

Awwww, I love the pictures
default_wub.png

How is everything going by now? Update please
default_wink.png
Just boggles my mind to think of that many new donkeys at once
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif
But actually, everyone looks rather calm and peaceful!
default_wub.png

The donkeys are coming along slowly. I am trying to be patience...they as far as I know have never been handled. Which amazes me that their feet look so good....but I am really wanting to get some wormer in them. Just hate trying to tackle them myself and what progress I have made in gaining their trust would be out the window. Wish I would have had the guy do it b4 he ever let them off the trailer, just didn't think of it....and they did catch me by surprise because they didn't call to say they where on their way.

They are so funny, they follow me around when I am out feeding. I can feel them on my heels but as soon as I turn around all I see is donkey butts and wagging tails LOL I have always had the best luck gaining trust with horses by putting them in their own stall to feed....BUT...this many I am not set up to do that.

I need to take individual pictures of each one to try to identify them, some look so much alike. There are are some that are gray that I cannot tell who is who, and I think 3 dark browns ones that look alike. The Jack of course if I look between his legs, but he also has a really bad scar on his neck and a skin tag from being in with another Jack. I have one Jenny that does not have the contrasting muzzle and eye rings, so she stands out. I can tell the babies apart LOL one baby Jack that is the tiniest little guy, I am dying to get a hold of him....and get him to snuggle he looks like a stuffed animal. LOL

I have been busy brush hogging the pastures...so they are at least getting use to be being around all the time and are not the least bit afraid of the tractor. I have been going at it I don't know how many days a section at a time...our 20 acres seems like 100.

Yep it would have been easier to have just got a few at a time...but the oppurtunity was ther and worked out best for both sides. Took me years to get that many mini horses. One woman and 41 head, I stay VERY busy, but love every minute of it! Just wish the ole man could afford a maid and cook, so I could stay outside all the time. LOL

Thank you for asking about my donkey family! If the ole man would just buy me a spotted Jack I would bet all sit up....he just goes death when I try to talk about it.
default_new_shocked.gif

....but I am really wanting to get some wormer in them. Just hate trying to tackle them myself and what progress I have made in gaining their trust would be out the window.
It does sound like you are making some progress just by being around them. I have a wormer tip when you gain more trust with them. Graham cracker sandwiches! The last two wormings - I've sandwiched the measured out paste wormer between small sections of grahams... and boy, do they love it. Trouble is, once they get a taste, they want to come back for seconds
default_nono.gif

You sound determined, and I'm sure you'll gain their trust!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Keep us posted!

Hey, that;s a great ideal...why didn't I think about that....I bought some graham crackers over a week ago, after you suggested them and forgot all about them LOL One of the full size mares I traded for the donkeys, I had to sneak her wormer in treats. So far the only thing they will take from my hand is hay...they want to eat grain out of my hand sooooo bad when I tempt them....just so scary
default_wub.png

Edited...forgot to say they have started braying when I go out in the mornings awwwwwwww

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to wish my donkey would brey for me
default_wub.png
......now I practically do the combat crawl so he doesnt see me walking by. his brey starts with a rumble..real low then goes into a dreadful bellow like someone is twisting his ears.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back