My dog has Lyme's disease

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendi leigh

Reaction score
My wonderful teddy bear of dog, Apollo, a 140lb purebred Anatolian Shepard, didn't come up for breakfast Sunday morning with the herd. I found him laying down sound asleep, and when he woke up, he started growling at me. I locked him in the pasture he was in. The vet had to come load him into my car, because I couldn't get close enough to him without getting growled at, and YES -- he scares me when he does this and I'm sure he senses my fear. He's tested positive for Lyme's (again) along with two other tick diseases. He's now locked in a stall with a doggie door that goes into a separate pen so he is no threat to me or the horses. I've started doxycyline for the Lyme's. The vet says to neuter him to help control the agression. OK, not a problem and probably should have been done before, but I don't think that is the cause of this sudden aggression. I've read that in rare instances dogs can show neurological symptoms related to Lyme's disease just like in people. Has anybody had any experience with this? I'm at a loss on how to deal with my big boy and it is very depressing (as well as a little scary).

Dealing with aggression in a 140 lb. dog? No thanks, not without the help of a qualified behavioralist. Keeping him locked up and being fearful around him is only going to make the situation worse. Definitely have him neutered ASAP. Have you seen the recent blog posted here showing what a dog that size (same breed) can do to a person in an instant? Also, was your dog on anything to keep ticks off of him? Lymes disease is very painful and that may explain his aggression, but from the sound of it this dog has growled at you when he was healthy, as well.

no help as far as DOG lyme goes but I have people lyme and let me tell you..it can do CRAZY neurological stuff! I'm sure it does it in dogs too. it's a NEUROLOGICAL disease to begin with. attacks the nervous system.

I have had 4 dogs with Lyme, know tons more that have tested positive have NEVER seen or heard of anything like this.

My 2 daughters also got Lyme, quick dose of antibiotics and all is well.

I hear of cases of people having all sorts of problems BUT my Dr says this is unusual and my experience tells me the same.

I would notblame any of his behavioural issues on the Lyme.

Have him neutered and go from there.

Anatolians can become aggressive and very guardy. MY friends male was wonderful until he reached sexual maturity and then he was awful! Took over completely and became very aggressive. Sadly he was euthanised. Of course, this is not always the case but I would not think it is in any way related to Lyme.

i have to agree with Fiona. Even though i do know it can do tons of freaky things i dont' think the lyme is whats making him agressive. it may not help the matter but i doubt that alone is whats doing it. I would also say neuter and treat for the lyme and see what happens. did you say this wasn't his first time having lyme? I'm not sure how they can tell you it's come back. The lyme test is based on anitboties and if the dog has ever been vaccinated for it or has had it it will always come back possitive.........

Latest posts

Back