My Cutie Pie ... New Member!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMom

Reaction score
Hi, I just want to introduce myself and my 3 yr old little gelding. (I gelded him after I had him a couple of weeks at age 1.) His name is Beau and such a cutie and such a sweetheart. I’m a first time Mini Owner ... I have a large 16.2 hands gelding show paint that I’ve shown in WP for several years. I bought this little guy from a show breeder out of Oregon and both my Paint and I (and my grandkids) love 💕 the little guy. I hope to learn how to start cart training him soon! So I’ll be asking lots of questions...😊. If I can figure out how to post a picture of him I will. I look forward to learning all about my little guy and starting his cart training.

Attachments

• 25C2AEEB-58A3-414B-83A2-8BB5ED52B203.jpeg
    25C2AEEB-58A3-414B-83A2-8BB5ED52B203.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 18
  • F2DCF6D8-E0EF-416B-B078-E6457ED8C590.jpeg
    F2DCF6D8-E0EF-416B-B078-E6457ED8C590.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 18
  • 6F81FD1B-C081-4B2F-844E-9BC4F7C1B0A1.jpeg
    6F81FD1B-C081-4B2F-844E-9BC4F7C1B0A1.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 14
Welcome! He is a looker! 😍
Welcome! He is a looker! 😍
Thank you both so much! He’s truly a sweetheart! I need to search the site regarding nutrition... I’m so confused about feeding him. My vet says to just give him the Mini Horse pellets but he loves to eat hay so I hate to just have him on pellets(?). Especially since he sees his big brother enjoying hay. Do you mind if I ask you what you feed and how much? I give Safe Choice grain and Orchard Grass Hay currently which is what my big Paint gets. When the weather changes, I give rock salt in their Safe Choice. I also give a handful of Alfalfa every now and then to him (big guy gets Alfalfa mixed in his Orchard Grass). I live in Northern California. Thank you so much!!!

Welcome and congratulations on your new little guy. He looks like a sweetheart! I feed mine Orchard grass hay and a balance rationer. I tried the mini horse feed but they tend to bolt it down and they also put on too much weight with it.

Welcome! He is so handsome and his “hair do” makes me smile! 😊

We feed timothy hay and a senior horse feed as our minis range from 14 to 29.

Mary Flora

Our mare, Squirt is on pasture 24/7 (not much left now, after several frosts and a dusting of snow) and has free access to a hay bag filled with first cutting Teff Grass hay.

He is adorable! I feed Orchard Grass and either Mare and Foal (for the girls anyway) or Senior (I have a pregnant mini). I have to watch how much concentrated feed they get as one is getting obese!

Thank you everyone for your responses and helpful information regarding good nutrition for my little guy!!! So greatly appreciate your help!

Welcome and your little guy is adorable! I have a 16.2 thoroughbred that is best friends with my minis. He loves his "babies". Anyway, this is our first winter that we are at our own place. We boarded all of our horses before. I'm curious how much ration balancer you give to your minis? Mine get mostly first cutting grass hay and a small amount of senior feed with electrolytes and Timothy hay pellets. They are starting to get a bit chunky so would love some input on the ration balancer. Thanks so much!

I use Purina Enrich Plus. This is what they suggest on their website:
0.1 - 0.2 lbs Purina® Enrich Plus® per 100 lbs body weight per day.

I initially weighed it and marked a small scoop. I'm guessing it's maybe around 1/3 of a cup 2× a day. They have all been healthy with shiny coats. They love it and it's good for nutrients without weight gain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back