My colt is dead..no one to blame but myself

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
I found one of my yearling colts dead this morning, I had set up a catch pen of portable panels as the boys were getting to be hard to catch. Saturday when I had these boys trimmed I neglected to take Anthems halter off before releasing him, somehow he caught his halter on the pin that holds the panels together and killed himself struggling to get free. If you use these panels, and I know many do, be sure to take the halter off even if they will be there only a short time. My boy has paid for my carelessness and I wil never forgive myself for that.

i am so sorry for your loss and appreciate the courage you have to post it here to try and help someone else.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your colt. Like Lisa, I applaud you for sharing your experience with others. Do take care.

sad.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. I share your grief here. I had a similar death last year from the same kind of thing. Thank you for educating others!

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your little guy.I thank you for sharing your experience with us. how did it happen(beside he got caught)? so sorry

desiree
no.gif

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I use these panels and I left a halter on one and will go and take it off now!

SO SORRY FOR YOUR PAINFUL LOSS, IT IS NOT IN VAIN.

This brave and painful post WILL save other needless deaths!

Try to forgive yourself, it was just a horrible accident.

Please accept my sincere sympathy for your loss.

Sometimes we don't think about everything we do and make mistakes when we are in a hurry or not really thinking and have other things on our minds. We are only human so try not to be so hard on yourself. I have also heard that horses get hurt on those pins before with or without a halter on. Someone here mentioned that a while ago and made some type of cover for them.

You are very brave to come here and say what has happened. As the others have said, you may have just saved another horse by telling us what has happened.

Again I am so very sorry. hugs......

I am so sorry to hear of your loss...
no.gif
Thank you for posting your story and sharing your experience - perhaps it will help others in the future.

Take care,

Liz R.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry about your colt. I had the same experience with my weanling colt Lucky, fortunately I was home and he was not big on fighting restraint . He just pulled the section in a little and then gave up..... if it had been my feisty filly she would have killed herself for sure. Again . So sorry about Anthem.[/SIZE]

Lyn

OMG!! I am soooo sorry..always our worst nightmare. we also use those panels and although they are convenient and portable.although I don't leave halters on, I do remember reading another tragic post about a mini getting its little leg caught in between the panels........this is where we learn...sigh....my heart goes out to you, Kathye

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is hard for you. You could not have known this would happen and we cannot keep them in a glass bowl, so to speak.

I am sorry you lost your colt!

Beth

My condolences for yur loss. My horses are off. SOmetimes my hubby leaves them on, and I bought break away halters for both...

well they've never had them on! To use that type of halter to catch a horse and have it is fine but one couldn't use a breakaway halter to take out of pen/pasture/stall and tie up to groom, or lead etc..so what use are they/!

I've decided I wasted my money there.
yes.gif

Maxine

I'm so sorry for your loss but I thank you for posting this. I'm always harping on people to take the halters off, even if they're hard to catch but I see so many pictures on here where the halters are on, people just dont' think it'll happen to them. I girl near by here, lost her mare a few wks ago, turned her loose with her halter, her baby and the stud. She left and came home to find the mare caught on the hay feeder and she had a broken neck, I'm sure she panicked when the stud approached her baby and tried to save the baby. I'm really sorry that I didn't post this when it happened, it bothered me so much but I didn't think it was my place to put it on here, as I think she visits the forum too, (not my friend Donna) but if I had, maybe you'd have seen this and removed that halter. I think we lose enough minis to things that can't be helped, I see no need to let a halter on a horse, please, everyone, go out and take the halters off, it only takes one bad accident. But please don't blame yourself, you probably didn't realize the danger, and I am so sorry you had to go thru this.
sad.gif

Stormy, I am so very sorry this has happened. As I am in a "passing over" situation as well please know I feel your pain and your loss but as others have told me please forgive yourself. We are only human, we aren't perfect and will never be. Accidents happen, we don't intend for them to happen..they just do and it's a fact. I give you a great big hug my dear and am drying your eyes for you. I am so SORRY!

You know even when we try to do the best we can, following knowledge that has been passed down, crap still can happen. Horses are known to be inquisitive and if there is one nail in a 50 acre pasture, that horse will somehow find it. Don't beat yourself up, and thanks for reminding all of us. I lost two mares to freak accidents in the past and knocked myself around trying to figure out how I could have prevented it. Accidents happen. I am so sorry for your loss. It's always easy to point fingers at other people for perhaps doing something careless, until it happens to you. It can happen to any of us.

no.gif
so sorry for your loss...it's very heart breaking when something like this happens..thank you so much for having the courage to post this....will keep you and your mare in my thoughts andprayers...{{{HUGS TO YOU AND YOUR MARE}}}}
wub.gif

How awful, and I'm so very sorry. It takes great courage and character to share something this painful. Bless your heart.

Latest posts

Back