My Buckeroo colt is still changing color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
For those who missed my EXCITED post here is a link:

Excited about Colt post with pics

I will also add a previous pic or two here.

This is a newborn pic

Slipnslide529.jpg

And then a 2 days old

Momshorsesjune08048.jpg

Now last week-end-With the shadow it is hard to see but he is lighter...
default_yes.gif

100_2008-272x267.jpg

Now will post the ones from a few days ago in a second post.

Thanks for looking!! I am still absolutely thrilled about him!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Here he is a couple days ago...

zion71808.jpg

And him and momma

zion718082.jpg

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

According to the other post, his sire is a Perlino?

If that is true, he has at least one Cream gene so my guess is he is a Smoky Black and probably also Tobiano judging by the white on his legs and tail.

He has the light eyes, golden undertones and golden fur inside his ears that many Smoky Black foals have.

He is a very handsome little guy!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He actually has blue eyes...very pretty bright blues!!
default_wub.png

Oh and that is also him in my avatar.

Many Single-Dilute foals are born with blue eyes I believe. Many of them darken when they get older, though they are usually lighter than a Non-Dilute.

On this page ( http://www.doubledilute.com/smokyblack.htm ), they mention that at least one foal was born with bright teal eyes.
default_biggrin.png

Yes, I have been to that page
default_biggrin.png
Believe me, I have been researching...LOL His eyes are a true blue and they look A lot like his sires in person anyway. It is difficult to capture eye color on camera but this is the closest...

Momshorsesjune08014.jpg

Smokey black pinto (from the white tail). Very cute!!! I have never seen ears like that - is there pink skin under that lighter fur?

No, I don't think there is pink skin under there, but all of his skin has that dilute pink tone to it. As you can see around his eyes and it is also pinkish around his "personal" parts.

Since the sire is CrCr he has to be Smoky Black.

It always amazes me that it shows so often in Minis...not always by any means, but often.

I know he could only be smoky black or buckskin, and had concluded he was a smoky black, until he started to lighten up so much. Is it even possible for him to lighten to a creamy buckskin color at this rate? Don't much care what color he is but need to register him something and with all the past color mess ups in the registry, I want to make sure I get the right color.

So if I was going to test him, what test would tell me for sure what he is? The agouti one?

Thanks for all the help.

Here is a head shot of his sire.

Zorba1.jpg

If you want to know for sure check for agouti. I expect that he is smokey black but the coloring in the ears makes me wonder about buckskin. Testing is the only way to be certain. If sire is perlino there's about a 75% chance of buckskin since dam appears bay.

He looks smokey black to me but cannot be tobiano as he has no white going up over his back and none under his chin as required to be tobiano!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
Maybe sabino or frame? VERY HANDSOME BOY
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations!!!
default_biggrin.png

He looks smokey black to me but cannot be tobiano as he has no white going up over his back and none under his chin as required to be tobiano!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
Maybe sabino or frame? VERY HANDSOME BOY
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations!!!
default_biggrin.png

I had no idea he couldn't be tobiano..thanks for the info!! Mom has roaning spots which I have also discussed on the forum and most thought it was sabino so, guess that is where it came from?? Only other thing she has is white socks like him, no other pinto spots so who knows...she has never thrown a solid foal...this one is closest she has ever come to it, and he has high whites and mixed tail as you know!! I would say no frame because there is no face white and she has only thrown face white twice and it was little stars so tiny you could barely see them!! LOL Would love to breed her to a stallion with some overo breeding and see what happens....likely solid then of course!!
default_biggrin.png

?????????

He's tobiano for sure as is his dam. Both are minimally marked, but I'm certain he'd test positive for tobiano. I don't see any indication of any other pinto pattern.

Smokey black pinto (from the white tail). Very cute!!! I have never seen ears like that - is there pink skin under that lighter fur?
Here is my smokey black colt from this year with the light hair in the ears. Actually, when he comes home in a couple of weeks I'm going to test him for the agouti gene to make sure he is actually a smokey black and not a smutty buckskin.

jrsite1.jpg

jr-1.jpg

daisy.jpg

This is one of the pics that makes me think it is possible for him to be a smutty buckskin.

He's tobiano for sure as is his dam. Both are minimally marked, but I'm certain he'd test positive for tobiano. I don't see any indication of any other pinto pattern.
He may not be sabino, but am sure mom is both tobi and sabino as she has roan spots. See pics below. If all you color experts have anything to add on either please do...love to learn more on this.

IMGP0671.jpg

DSC04002.jpg

If he was mine, I would test for Black (just to see if he is homozygous or not), Agouti (to see if he is a Smoky Black or a Buckskin), and Tobiano.

I definitely think he is a minimal Tobiano. If he was Splash, which also makes the tail white, he would have facial white. Nothing about his parents suggest Frame. He could also be Sabino, but I would bet he tests as having a copy of the Tobiano gene: the white tail and leg markings are classical minimal expression of the Tobiano gene.

Oh, and in case I haven't said it yet, he is definitely a looker
default_wub.png
. I love minimal Tobianos.

Latest posts

Back