My Buckeroo colt is still changing color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheryl,

He is very similar to your boy in color...blue eyes as well. No history of blue eyes on dams side. Sire has blue eyes but is perlino so has to obviously, so not sure if the eyes were passed from dad or if they are part of the pinto thing???
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
I just know I love him and his color. May just test to make sure he is registered correctly.

My boy got the blue eyes from his dam, Cross Country Behind Blue Eyes, who is a buckskin with 2 blue eyes. She probably carries the splash overo gene, maybe even LWO, which I'll have to test her for one of these days. Jr's sire is my Little Kings Junior Jinx stallion, also a buckskin but there isnt' any pinto in his background.

He looks smokey black to me but cannot be tobiano as he has no white going up over his back and none under his chin as required to be tobiano!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
Maybe sabino or frame? VERY HANDSOME BOY
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations!!!
default_biggrin.png
Tobianos do NOT have to have white over the back, that is a fallacy.

Splash do NOT have to have white on the face, that is also a fallacy.

Shelley since you are obviously enthusiastic about colour and pattern, just a little "off course" could I suggest you join us on

http://www.equinecolor.com/forum/

You would be most welcome, and would learn a lot.

Cowgirl, you would be welcome too, as is anyone who has any interest in colour/pattern, or questions.

I have a minimal marked Tobi paint mare and true tobianos do not have white on the head. Most tobis have sabino in combination to the tobiano which is where the white on most tobis faces come from. the chin whit is an overo or sabino trait not a tobiano. 4 white legs ant white in the tail tells me he is Tobi, he can get the blue eyes from the dilute, but also from sabino, which would also cause small amounts of roaning in a tobi, such as dams tail. but that could also be the minimal tobi showing.

Most minimal tobis will still have some white over the shoulder, even if it is minimal such as a few white hairs. But it is not required to be tobi.

In the last pic you posted of him with mum is that a small white spot I spy on his left shoulder?

He looks smokey black to me but cannot be tobiano as he has no white going up over his back and none under his chin as required to be tobiano!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
Maybe sabino or frame? VERY HANDSOME BOY
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations!!!
default_biggrin.png
That MAY be a requirement for some color registry, but it is not a genetic requirement. The mares below are ALL lab tested heterozygous for Tobiano and these are just the ones I have. There are tons of them with no white crossing the back.

Bears Showin In Genes:

fktmp37_0134.jpg

Bear Farms Nu Genes:

IMG2578_578_058-1.jpg

Bear Farms Consider The Lilies:

IMG0564_00_003.jpg

I have a minimal marked Tobi paint mare and true tobianos do not have white on the head. Most tobis have sabino in combination to the tobiano which is where the white on most tobis faces come from. the chin whit is an overo or sabino trait not a tobiano. 4 white legs ant white in the tail tells me he is Tobi, he can get the blue eyes from the dilute, but also from sabino, which would also cause small amounts of roaning in a tobi, such as dams tail. but that could also be the minimal tobi showing.

Most minimal tobis will still have some white over the shoulder, even if it is minimal such as a few white hairs. But it is not required to be tobi.

In the last pic you posted of him with mum is that a small white spot I spy on his left shoulder?

The last pics of the dam is with last years filly. This years colt has NO white except for legs and a mixed tail and blue eyes. Thanks for the info.

Back