My boys got a cold, the Vet can't come till tomorrow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 3 year old gelding has had a bit of a runny nose for a couple of days but its not been much and has been clear, I went out this morning to see him to find his nose had gross green lumps of mucus, and weepy eyes.
default_sad.png

I called up the Vet who'll come and see him tommorrow and have put an under rug on him to keep him warmer. I also gave him a hard feed with added garlic powder.

He's seperated from the rest of the herd, and has been in the pasture today but tonight I'll stable him.

Is there any advice anyone can give me to keep him comfy and help his recovery. Hes got a good appitite but I can tell hes feeling quite sorry for himself.

This is actually the first time I've had a sick horse and it made me realise how little I know about these situations. Its a bit scary actually
default_new_shocked.gif

I'll also be careful to keep his feedbins and water buckets seperate from the other horses and wash my hands before handling any of the other boys.

He also has a salt block and vitamin/mineral block in his stable.

I'm in NZ so its autumn here, warm in the day but starting to get cold at night.

Should I stable him all the time till he gets better or just at night

Thanks and sorry for all the silly questions, can't wait till the Vet sees him tommorrow

Anna

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you happen to take his temperature? Hopefully it is just a little cold. I would definetly keep him seperate from the other horses until he is feeling better just in case.... As long as he is eating and drinking I think you will be fine until the vet comes to see him tomorrow
default_smile.png

Good luck and hope your boy gets to feeling better...

Latest posts

Back