My boy grinned and bared it!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
Well, we took my spoiled "bottle raised" 2 yr old stallion on his first trailer ride to a horse show last night. My daughter decided she was going to show him in halter since his daddy had already enough points to win the class for the year. She wanted him to get some exposure. Well, he exposed himself alright. It's bad enough that he is a spoiled rotten brat who thinks he has to constantly be biting on you, he went and ...... well how can I put this....exposed himself in all his glory during the class. Also, as my daughter put it, grinned the whole time. So my question is...how do you get him to keep it out of sight? Also, where is a good place to learn how to teach a horse to square up for halter? I would like to maybe take him to the fair in September and don't know where to start.

My daughter gave one stallion a bit of a snap with a riding crop once. He was most careful about hanging out all over the place after that. I was not present for the episode but had the story retold several times. They did go on to win that class as well as two two others that day on her first day be eligable to show stallions.

justaboutgeese said:
My daughter gave one stallion a bit of a snap with a riding crop once.  He was most careful about hanging out all over the place after that.  I was not present for the episode but had the story retold several times.  They did go on to win that class as well as two two others that day on her first day be eligable to show stallions.
443202[/snapback]

I strongly recommend not popping the little "dingdong," especially if you plan to use him at stud. The best method is to use your finger inside his cheek and pinch hard (fingernails work great) and it will magically start to go up! Hold pinch until mission accomplished.

Popping them a little helps. BUt the fact is if they are a stud, chances are they are never gonna always keep it put away. I also have never had a problem with getting a stallion to breed after "telling" them to put it away.

Thanks for some input, but I need more! We have tried slapping them under the tummey (not anywhere near the thing they are most proud of)! lol. I will try pinching inside the cheek if I can get in there without him biting me. As I said before he doesn't bite to be mean, he thinks we are horses. I still need some input on squaring up. Thanks!

If he's biting you because he thinks you are horses, then I'd say you have more things to work on than just the problem of him exposing himself in public.

You need to teach him some basic manners and respect for you. I've never had a problem getting a stallion to "put it away" if I give him a couple of smacks under the belly with a crop. Used to be a little easier when showing Morgans, because we were allowed to show with a whip, & if the stallion forgot himself & started to drop, it was easy to give him a couple of discreet taps on the belly, just to remind him of his manners. Since we aren't allowed to show with whips at AMHR or AMHA shows, and since Minis can be a little more determined about "if you've got it, flaunt it"...we're very strict about this at home, so that if the stallion does decide to drop in the ring, a poke in the ribs with my finger will suffice to get him to put it away. If that doesn't work I'll (discreetly?) reach back & give him a slap with my hand, either up under the flank or at the top of the offending part itself. Have never had a problem with giving that a smack if all else fails--obviously I'm not going to lace it a good one with a whip & raise a welt on it, but a tap with a crop does no harm--it has never put a stallion off breeding.

I can remember at one Morgan show years ago, a friend was showing her 2 year old stallion that was barely halter broke & really hadn't been trained anything at all. Instead of the show whip most of us carry in the ring, she was using a short crop, with the folded leather end. While she was waiting at the gate her colt dropped. She was screeching "YOU PUT THAT AWAY RIGHT NOW" & then she took a swing with her crop, aiming for his shoulder. He jumped back & the force of her swing carried her right on around into a spin! Pretty funny to see, but I always wondered if about then she felt as ridiculous as she looked & sounder???

Well, you are correct about having more to work on. It's just I dont' know how. I think I have a masochist (sp) on my hands. The more I pinch, pop etc., the worse he gets. Maybe I'm not popping him hard enough. I don't know. He was our first foal and lost his mom at 2 weeks old, so I feel like his mother. Actually I AM his mother!
biggrin.gif

If you watch your horses interact, they don't all bite on each other! This is not acceptable behavior in the herd and it should not be accepted by you. Perhaps doing some round penning with him would help (there are many methods out there). At any rate, you need to establish that you are the "boss mare" so to speak.

Latest posts

Back