My baby mini is running away!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrwdaw

Reaction score
Hi,
I have asked questions recently about my baby mini Shiloh. Well, today I went out to the pasture to bring her in, she ran away and would not come. This is a first. She did run into her pen but I need tips on what to do.

If they don't want to come to you it normally means there is something they don't like/want to do/afraid of. Have you changed anything about your routine/how you're handling her? Is she in a stall/pen at night? Try going in and just sitting quietly and see if she'll come over to see you. Don't panic, you'll get her back. There are things to do to catch her but I'd try to figure out what she's telling you and addressing that.

I agree with Taz. Also try encouraging her and see how close you can get her to come in before she runs off as this may help you figure out what she is trying to tell you.

It might also just be a one-off and she was in the mood to stay out?

She doesn't want to come in to the barn....she want to do her own thing. I'm thinking of taking a horse treat out in my pocket next time I go out to get her so it's a positive thing?

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking a treat out with you. Do the sheep come into the barn with her or is she alone?

If she doesn't have neighbors she might not want to be in by herself. Horses feel safe when they have others around. Could be why she doesn't want to go in 🤷‍♀️. You might find that even if you don't change things around her that she will get different ideas as she grows up or you change how you do things with her (as you're learning). Just a guess, hard to say not being there.

I agree with Maryann - feed her her grain/supplement/ration balancer/whatever you use inside the pen so she sees it as an enjoyable place to be if that is where you want her. Also maybe make sure she has something to entertain her in there so she isn't bored. Don't catch her each time you go to her either. Go see her a lot, give her some pets or grooming and then walk away, and do that often. Then sometimes catch her and let her go again. You don't want her to think catching or coming to you means getting always locked up.

Also if you're coming to get her for food, and you think she might be playing games with you (as opposed to being afraid or concerned about something), don't be afraid to walk away without feeding her! Betcha next time she'll come right in, but again, assuming there is not some other reason she doesn't want to come in besides just being a stinker.

Latest posts

Back