My Baby Girl is Growing Up!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
It is Abby's 5th month birthday (if you can call it that??) today. She is growing up so fast, and is such a good girl! She comes out to do chores with me twice a day every day, and she listens really well out there!! Housebreaking is her weak area...she just does not seem to grasp the concept that she needs to give me some sort of sign to let her out when she needs to go!
default_rolleyes.gif

I took these pics of her today...I wanted to get some standing ones, but we have taught her to sit for treats, so trying to get her to stand while being baited did not work so well!
default_laugh.png
She is weighing in at right around 40 pounds, and she should be a good sized girl by the time all is said and done.

I am still working on her ears, and hope that some day they will actually stand on their own! I have NO experience with cropped ears, so this is all so new to me, and I don't know what really to expect. I just keep hoping that eventually they will stand on their own and she won't look silly with ruined ears! I will be so sad if that happens.
default_unsure.png

Anyway, here's my pretty (at least in my eyes!
default_yes.gif
) young lady!
default_wub.png

abby5months.jpg
abby5months2.jpg

Mona, she IS a pretty dog! Just has such a lovely look in her eye, too!

Margo

It is Abby's 5th month birthday (if you can call it that??) today. She is growing up so fast, and is such a good girl! She comes out to do chores with me twice a day every day, and she listens really well out there!! Housebreaking is her weak area...she just does not seem to grasp the concept that she needs to give me some sort of sign to let her out when she needs to go!
default_rolleyes.gif

I took these pics of her today...I wanted to get some standing ones, but we have taught her to sit for treats, so trying to get her to stand while being baited did not work so well!
default_laugh.png
She is weighing in at right around 40 pounds, and she should be a good sized girl by the time all is said and done.

I am still working on her ears, and hope that some day they will actually stand on their own! I have NO experience with cropped ears, so this is all so new to me, and I don't know what really to expect. I just keep hoping that eventually they will stand on their own and she won't look silly with ruined ears! I will be so sad if that happens.
default_unsure.png

Anyway, here's my pretty (at least in my eyes!
default_yes.gif
) young lady!
default_wub.png

abby5months.jpg
abby5months2.jpg

Are you still taping her ears? When the ears are cropped into a long show crop it takes alot of taping to get them to stand on their own. It took about 4 months of taping to get our boxer's ear to stay standing. They were taped for 24 hours and then untaped for 24 hours. Since the breeder had already cropped them when we got him at 12 weeks , I had to follow through with the taping. I must admit his ears are beautiful but I would not have cropped them if I had the choice. Anyway if you want them to stand you need to tape. A show breeder can show you have to do it properly. Good Luck.

Kim

She is beautiful!
default_wub.png
I am a huge boxer fan (the only breed I will ever have).

Her ears are looking good...keep up the posting/taping, it will be worth it. One of our boxers here came with ears already cropped, and his ear leather is very heavy, the show crop he was given is very long. No matter what we did (took him every week to a breeder friend who shows boxers to help me do this right!), the darn right ear would never stand 100%, and tips forward the top inch. We posted those ears till he was 15 months old! Anyway, the look suits his goofier moments, but Abby's ears look better now than his one ear ever did. Here is a picture of what we ended up with for that ear.....

hossy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona what a beautiful dog
default_wub.png
Happy Birthday Abby
default_smile.png
Joyce

Mona! She is gorgeous! Don't give up on those ears! A few of my Dobies were being taped at 9 months old!

COTTONGRASSFARMS and CrescentMinis. I am going to try and not wrap them. I am trying to get away with just using the Breath Right strips glued in there. She has them in, in the pictures. Since her ears are OK at the base for the most part, it is only the top portions that flop. The Breath Right strips seem to be holding them up well enough, so as long as they continue to do so, I will try to get by with using those. She sure looks much better in those, than in the big white wraps!
default_laugh.png

We have owned 3 Boxers in the past...all have been natural earred. This time, I really wanted a cropped one, and had even considered cropping the pup we bought. As it turned out, Abby's ears were already done when I found her for sale. Inever want to go through it again! Sure, they look nice, but so do the natural ears. So CrescentMinis, it is becaue Abby's are taped in the piocs, that they look so good.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
default_smile.png

She is such a pretty girl, Mona.

I just love the look of Boxers' and their little smushed noses.

Do you happen to give her extra calcium?

When I bred Dobe's and had their ears done, the very well known ear vet

we used suggested extra calcium.

His theory was at the time you do their ears, that they are also getting their

permanent teeth. The calcium they need goes to the teeth as the ears are

only cosmetic......

Made sense to me.

I'd toss them Tums for the calcium and also fed other foods high in calcium,

like cottage cheese and yogurt, etc.

OK......when did this happen Mona??!!! WHERE have I been that I did'nt know you got a new Boxer pup??!!! She's beautiful! I'll bet her, Shimmer and Molly will have a blast together!! I can't give any advice on the ears...all my Boxers and Cane Corso have all had their floppy, natural ears.

OK......when did this happen Mona??!!! WHERE have I been that I did'nt know you got a new Boxer pup??!!! She's beautiful! I'll bet her, Shimmer and Molly will have a blast together!! I can't give any advice on the ears...all my Boxers and Cane Corso have all had their floppy, natural ears.
Hi Cheyenne. Thanks for your compliments, but sadly, Shimmer went to live in a new home early this summer. I will copy/paste an email I sent to someone else today that asked about Shimmer too, wondering what happened to her. Hopefully it will explain to all reading, what happened with her. Also, those reading this, "Amber" is mentioned....Amber was a beautiful Anatolian Shepherd that we bought and again, we sold her to someone on a HUGE acreage to protect their cattle, where she was later killed by a pack of wolves doing her job that she was bred to do.
default_no.gif

What happened with Shimmer...long story made as short as possible, we sold her to a nice couple out in the country with another Boxer. They will be companions for each other.
default_yes.gif

The timing was just all wrong when we got Shimmer, and things just fell into place differently than we could ever have imagined. As you know, when we got Shimmer, we already had Amber here. Amber (before we got Shimmer) had a hard time staying in the pasture with the horses until she got hung upside down in the fence and then she never left her pasture all Winter. When we brought Shimmer home the following Spring, being a puppy, Shimmer LOVED to go and play with Amber. So much so, that I think she made a stronger bond with Amber than he did with us. Then together, they started to wander...since Shimmer was smaller, she was able to easily find the low spots in the fencing, and sure enough, she would take Amber along. When Amber started wandering away again (even without Shimmer) we decided we would sell her, and that is the home she went to when she died doing her job. Yes, that was very hard for me to learn of her death. Even though she had been gone so long, it seemed like she was still "mine", and I mourned for her as I did my others when they died. Anyway, by that time, Shimmer was already older and I guess was kind of set in her ways, wanting to be out in the pasture all the time. BUT, now with Amber gone, she had no one to play with, so she would torment the horses, inviting them to play. I would see her jumping up at them...at their faces, their neck and their tail docks. There could be none of that, so she then had to live a life being tied up, and I HATE that. I hated that she could not do chores with me, as that is why I like a big dog, to be at my side. We hoped as she grew older and didn't have the winter to bother the horses (because it is so cold here that she couldn't be out as long) that maybe she would outgrow it over winter and forget about wanting to play with them, but once Spring came and the new foals, she chased them like crazy and would not let up. I was actually in the barn cleaning when my Mom hollered out to me and told me! I KNOW that is what she does, as I too had seen it often, but you keep hoping things will change. I just couldn't take the chance that she would do harm to them, so decided it was time to start looking for a home for her. We had several inquiries, and I narrowed it down to two families. I interviewed both, had them meet Shimmer to see how they all interacted with each other, and elected the one I felt would work best for Shimmer. I know each would have given her a great home, but when I decided, I just felt that this home would be the best home for Shimmer. I know how she loved to have a companion to play with and room to run, and these people already owned one Boxer, had past Boxer experience, and had lots of room in the country! I have never felt so lost. I cried and cried for days...it was all I could think about. It made be physically sick to my stomach. It is always so hard when you "lose" a dog...have to have one put to sleep, almost seemed harder to deal with in a way, as I knew my "perfect" girl was "out there" and I couldn't have her!
default_no.gif
Even the first while after we got Abby, I still cried for giving up Shimmer. It was definately a HARD thing to do, but I do feel it was the best thing to do.

Sorry Nancy, I forgot to answer you. No, I have not given her any extra Calcium, and it may be too late, as she has already done the new teeth thing. Oh, and Chryenne, no, Molly does NOT enjoy Abby! She plays too rough!

Mona she is beautiful and I'm sorry you had to re-home the other two.

It is always so sad to loose a fur baby no matter the reason.

Mona, your story was sad, but at the same time I do think you did the right thing.

I also love Abby! My favorite dog is a Boxer, I love their looks, their personalities, just everything about them.

The last Boxer I had I lost him and I cried for so long that I told myself I would never get another one. Looking at those pictures makes me want to change my mind. Who knows some day I might get enough nerve to get another one. They are just so easy to get attached too.

I love my Boxer but she is over a year old and still not fully house broke, its driving me insane.

Latest posts

Back