My 2 year old stallion has only one dropped testicle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
My vet was just out today to give shots and since he was here I had him check for my stallions testicles since we were planning on trying to breed him soon to one of our mares. I was stunned to hear he has only one down. He didnt give much promise that it would ever come and of course told me I shouldnt use him to breed. We are just devastated. Has anyone had a stallion drop after they have turned 2. I am just about to sell all my horses and give up. It is just one disaster after another. Sheila
default_sad.png

If its truely retained it is a moral question... do you still breed knowing that cryptism may be hereditary? It may just be hiding.

If it is retained, that testicle will be sterile. It may or may not be genetic, that question is still hotly debated. In some lines its almost certainly genetic, in others, not so much. However, if the one testicle is normal, the stallion will still be fertile and capable of breeding and settling mares.

I had a 3 YO with only one. I was told, after I had him gelded of course, that to see if it's "close" to have him sedated and rolled onto his back. If it's close, with the potential of descending, it will pop out then. :DOH!

I found out afterwards that that is exactly what happened, but they took the already descended one first, and then the other.

Maybe there is a way to tell if one testicle is 'hiding' and will eventually come down?

Peggy

I'm betting it's there! I wouldnt panic just yet.

Viki

I definitely would not do anything drastic till he was at least 3. He is still young and it could be hiding or could still be coming. Don't panic and do something you will be sorry for.
default_biggrin.png

Angie

same thing with me, my 1 yr old cot only has one testicle dropped and he is over the height required in the class to show so i can't show him and he is still a colt.

the vet told us that if Rain looses some weight the other might drop. so you can try that, if there a little over weight. Just think of the positive. I argee with everyone else, i bet its there, its just hiding

Be Patient, check out this info I found on this site: http://www.scottcreek.com/Cryptorchidism.htm

Experienced breeders of miniature horses have frequently taken exception to these statements due to many years of observing the development of their horses. Miniature horses present a number of unique situations that are not commonly found in large horses. For example, foals routinely born within an unbroken amniotic sac is fairly unique to miniatures. It also turns out that miniature horse testicles do not necessarily grow and descend into the scrotum in the same manner as they do in large horses. Long time breeders have been aware of this for a years. There have been many discussions about colts who have not "dropped" and are two-year-olds. "Old-Timers" have said, "Just be patient. They will come down, usually by their third year."

Do these "Old timers" really know what they are talking about? Are they trying to pull the wool over our eyes to preserve a sale? Isn't my veterinarian the appropriate person to diagnose the fertility of this colt? The stress level can elevate when there is a sale involved and the buyers have discovered that their future breeding stallion has been diagnosed as a "cryptorchid" by the veterinarian while the seller is saying, "be patient". This scenario or a variation has been played out many times over the years. Certainly, sales hinge on this issue, not to mention credibility of sellers, breeding stallions, friendships, and miniature horses in general. The problem lies in the fact very few written studies have been made related to the descent of testicles in miniature horse stallions. Since it is difficult to find documentation, there continues to be this gulf between the general opinions of many veterinarians and those of long-time breeders of miniature horses.

default_saludando.gif
Good Morning!!

I also wanted to give you some hope! Our now 6 year old Stallion, did not drop till he was 4. We had a lot of people tell us if he has not dropped now he wont
default_rolleyes.gif
well my mom checked everyday for ever a long time and had lost hope, but one day she checked AND THERE IT WAS
default_aktion033.gif
I was in dental asst. school and she called and left a message lol it was a good day lol.

Sarah

I would wait it out alittle bit longer.

I had my vet check my stallion as a just 2 yr old saying that I could only feel one.

Paid for a barn call fee and a 'full' exam to have the vet tell me in about a min that the other one was just hiding above the scrodum but below the ring.

I've given him the year (he didn't need that much time) and hes ALL boy now. I am glad I listened to my vet and waited, as I too had wanted to use him for breeding but was prepared to geld and my vet is the one that advised waiting another year.

Now hes good to go... and very ready for his 1st mare

I think we have a failure of terminology here... two questions are being discussed.

1) My 2yo has only one testicled DROPPED... is he a crypt?

2) Is the testicle hiding, or is it retained?

1) If its not dropped through the ring by the second year, that testicle is fried and infertile. Yes, he's a crypt.

2) If that testicle IS dropped, but hiding and unable to be found, but outside of the ring and able to drop and rise even if you can't find it, is he a crypt? No. Will it eventually grow large enough to be easily seen, and the ligaments/muscles grow and stretch to the point where he will look like a normal stallion? Yes. Will this stallion be fertile? Should be!

I think a lot of minis have problem #2... true crypts don't just resolve themselves that late in life, and don't result in a fertile testicle. But they are so dang tiny and ponies in general seem to have very good hide-n-seek skills with their testis. I personally feel its a failure to FIND the testicle, not that its retained!

Thanks so much to everyone for the encouragement. I was just so freaked out when the vet left and after calming down I realize that I need to be patient and not panic. Gelding him is not even an option at this time! I was having a bad day and that was just the last straw! Thanks again everyone. Sheila

Do I just have a freck???? you say that by the age of 2 if it is not droped through the ring then they are crypt??? We had more than one vet out to check our Stallion @ age 3 and they could not find anything he was not dropped through the ring. but @ age 4 it came down all the way down???? He showed No symptoms of being Crypt????
default_yes.gif

quote name='Nathan Luszcz' date='May 1 2008, 11:31 AM' post='1012276']

I think we have a failure of terminology here... two questions are being discussed.

1) My 2yo has only one testicled DROPPED... is he a crypt?

2) Is the testicle hiding, or is it retained?

1) If its not dropped through the ring by the second year, that testicle is fried and infertile. Yes, he's a crypt.

2) If that testicle IS dropped, but hiding and unable to be found, but outside of the ring and able to drop and rise even if you can't find it, is he a crypt? No. Will it eventually grow large enough to be easily seen, and the ligaments/muscles grow and stretch to the point where he will look like a normal stallion? Yes. Will this stallion be fertile? Should be!

I think a lot of minis have problem #2... true crypts don't just resolve themselves that late in life, and don't result in a fertile testicle. But they are so dang tiny and ponies in general seem to have very good hide-n-seek skills with their testis. I personally feel its a failure to FIND the testicle, not that its retained!

default_no.gif
default_no.gif
There are several major problems with our industry and this is one of the big ones. First, have your vet come out and lay your horse down. Roll him on his back and see if the 2nd testicle can be palpated. Another cheaper version to check, is work your horse into a good lather, he should drop the testicle if it's there.

If the testicle can not be found, then I strongly suggest you castrate him. Accepting the idea that minis can be "late bloomers" is bogus and should not be continued for the betterment of the breed. By breeding these stallions, all we are doing is further accepting that it's ok if our stallions don't drop until 4,5, or 6 years of age. It's not ok! It's a fault and should be culled from the gene pool.

The second problem with our industry is the lack of value to a good gelding. Everyone owns at least one stallion regardless of quality. It is FAR MORE cheaper to breed mares to outside stallions than it is to own and maintain one of your own.

OK off my soapbox.

Well I guess everyone has there own opionion. But I still would give him time he is 2 not 4,5 or 6.

by the way our Stallion that was 4 when he dropped the 2nd one, has a 2 year old that droped both befor he was a 2 year old
default_yes.gif
. JMO

Well I guess everyone has there own opionion. But I still would give him time he is 2 not 4,5 or 6.

by the way our Stallion that was 4 when he dropped the 2nd one, has a 2 year old that droped both befor he was a 2 year old
default_yes.gif
. JMO
What I stated and what Nathan stated aren't opinions. They are common veterinary medical knowledge. More large horses are castrated at age 2 for two reasons. 1) Behavior issues 2) Crypts or late droppers.

If he's just hiding the testicle during palpation that's one thing. But if it can't be found, that's another and should be pulled from the gene pool.

I believe that scenario #2 as Nathan pointed out, is not uncommon in miniature horses and those horses are not monorchid or cryptorchid at all. Many vets and owners are too quick to classify them as such without understanding basic anatomy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back