Multiple lab owner question.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozley

Reaction score
We have an awesome black lab named Caspian. He is such a big goof and a lot of fun. He is 1 1/2 years old and still acts like a big puppy. All he wants to do is play. We also have a miniature daschund who gets really upset when the lab tries to play with her.

I found another 10 month old male lab looking for a good home (couple split up and neither can keep the dog). He is house broken and crated trained. I am debating whether I should get another lab or if I am absolutely crazy to add another dog to my household. Would it make things easier for Caspian to have someone to play with or more difficult? Can anyone with multiple dogs with a lot of energy tell me your experience?

Oh, one other concern that my 14 yo son has. Caspian is his dog. He is worried that Caspian will like the other dog more than him and won't be his buddy anymore.
default_wub.png

Thanks!

Sue

I think you should try it!!
default_biggrin.png
Your son will have a ball with 2 and the dogs will love it!! We have 4 big dogs, ours have learned to tag team my kids!!
default_biggrin.png
The only thing Caspian may be jealous at first!! But then again he may be so happy to have another dog to play with all will be good!! Our old neighbors had 4 labs and they were all so good!!

Good Luck and let us know what you decide!!

My family has multiple dogs at home. A Springer Spaniel, about ten years old, and a beagle puppy who just turned six months. Getting a new puppy was probably one of the best decisions we made! Our older dog is so much happier now that he has someone to play with.

They both have a lot of energy, even the older dog. So it can be tough at times. But for the most part, very rewarding.

Both dogs sleep in my bed when I home...needless to say...I have no room.
default_rolleyes.gif

I would definitely give it a try. We have a black lab, who will be 5 yrs old, she was our only baby up until this year. I was a little bit reluctant to get another adult, but in March we added a 2 yr old standard Poodle, and in May we added another 2 standard Poodles, pups who were 6 weeks old at the time. We have 4 furkids in our home, with 2 being 6 month old puppies. They get along great, and my lab loves to play with the pups, all sleep on our bed (thank god its a king size...lol..) and have the run of the house. I would say too, its very rewarding. You"ll never know until you try....but remember to give it a little bit of time for Caspian to adjust to a new playmate as well.

We have a lab. He's 4 this year and still acts like a puppy (even with obediance training). He was raised with a little brittany. We lost her to old age and he got pretty lonely. So we got an english setter. The setter is now almost a year old and those 2 still go at it. They are just high energy dogs and need someone to play with. My chihuahua hates the lab as she doesn't want to play.
default_rolleyes.gif
I think they would get along great and wear each other out!
default_laugh.png

We have four big dogs......indoor/outdoor pets. One is a yellow lab mix. We used to have a corgi with three of these same dogs and she ruled the roost!

Please reassure your son that dogs choose their person. The lab you already have has established the love of his life.
default_wub.png

With our dogs it goes like this:

"Shed", our lab mix (was abused by a man before we got him) and he chose me......a female.

"Randy", golden retriever, hands down is my husband's shadow.

"Luna", Karelian Bear Dog, chose our daughter because she's instinctively a protector and she saw Brianna as needing her.

"Tucker", a Bernese Mt. Dog mix, is our latest addition and the oldest. HIS person was his previous owner who died from cancer. We adopted him while he was still grieving and it was understood between he and I that we were just his caretakers until he could be reunited with his "Lady"........So, he loves us as a UNIT......If that makes sense.....

Labs are such loyal dogs I don't think your son has anything to worry about. I think your doxie would love you even more (if thats possible) if you brought Caspian home a friend so maybe just maybe the doxie could get even just a few extra minutes of peace!!

Latest posts

Back