Mules sterile, hinnies fertile?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmdude

Reaction score
I read at a website some years back that a good percentage of hinnies are fertile. Is this true or was the auther full of horse apples?

new_tomato.gif
I guess I should have read more of the posts before posting this question. But I swear this person said they knew of fertile hinnies. But the chromozone thing makes sense, so I doubt it. What a shame. Now I'm confused.
wacko.gif
I thought this is how the pinto gene got introduce to donkeys, as well as the black gene. Where did these come in?

farmdude, sure dont know the answer to this one, ;
no.gif
as to where the pinto gene did get introduced, but it sure would be interesting to find out. :
frusty.gif
As far I I know color genetics gets thrown" right out the door", when it comes to donkeys. You seem to get color when you least expect it. Corinne

There may be some fertile hinnies. I do know a small percentage of mules will be fertile.

So it is possible that the pinto and black gene got introduced by crosses with horses!?!?
new_multi.gif

I have no idea about that. I don't know if the offspring of a fertile mule/hinny would in turn be fertile or not.

Latest posts

Back