MUD !!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone and a merry Christmas!!
I have a mini Shetland and lately our paddock has become a mud bath in places , and for some reason said mini loves nothing better than rolling and having great fun turning himself in to a mud monster!! What do you all use too (A) stop the mud sticking too their legs and (B) prevent mud fever?

Attachments

• E80078B0-3683-4362-9604-2619E1BC4477.jpeg
    E80078B0-3683-4362-9604-2619E1BC4477.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 9
This can be a challenge with hairy fetlocks. If your pony is prone to this, try shaving just that area and perhaps use an antifungal cream rubbed in. I hate fungal surprises in the spring when I clip!
(Are your sure your pretty pony needs a blanket?)

Is he prone to mud fever? Mine are pretty hairy but I haven't ever found any mud fever, I think it depends on the individual. There are 2 arabs here that get it if they just look at the mud :rolleyes: You could use a soft curry to get it off after it dries or clip/cut some hair off to make your life easier but I don't think there's a way to keep it from sticking. Please let us know if you find something that does, it would make life easier 😊

This can be a challenge with hairy fetlocks. If your pony is prone to this, try shaving just that area and perhaps use an antifungal cream rubbed in. I hate fungal surprises in the spring when I clip!
(Are your sure your pretty pony needs a blanket?)
Is he prone to mud fever? Mine are pretty hairy but I haven't ever found any mud fever, I think it depends on the individual. There are 2 arabs here that get it if they just look at the mud :rolleyes: You could use a soft curry to get it off after it dries or clip/cut some hair off to make your life easier but I don't think there's a way to keep it from sticking. Please let us know if you find something that does, it would make life easier 😊
touch wood no mud fever 🙏🏻 Few horses in next field over have it I was just wondering if anyone had any magical ideas lol x

Reactions: Taz
A lot of people at my yard use baby oil or pig oil to stop mud from sticking. I’m going to try with mine today as she is caked when she comes in

Latest posts

Back