MRI Results today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LisaF.

Well, I already know I have Facet Joint Syndrome in my back - went through the injections, etc. I got so frustrated with that doctor because I was still in so much pain. He was telling me to give up my horses, don't pick up my grand babies, etc. After he found that he just stopped looking for anything else. He just kept trying different medications. I kept telling him I know something else was wrong because of my hip and leg. He kept saying it was from my Facet Joints.

Anyway, I changed doctors - he sent me to an Orthopedic Doctor. I got my MRI results back today.

Ok, my MRI showed a sack of fluid on my bursa( sp) on my left hip. I think he called it Bursitis( sp) I am not sure. I was just stunned because I thought what now?

So, he gave me a cortisone shot in my left - it hurt but NOT near as bad as my lumbar injections. Along with some Prescription Ibuprofen( sp again). I also have to go through physical therapy again.

Now, here is my question - I did not think about this in the doctor's office because I was a little disappointed that I have two things going on at once. But, happy it wasn't serious.

Now, my pelvis is out of alignment also.

Anyway, read on Web MD ( although my doctor tells me to stay away from the internet..lol) that sometimes they start with Cortisone shots and Physical Therapy and if this doesn't work they have to drain the fluid.

If anyone has had this - did your doctor do the same thing?

In my mind I am thinking I want RELIEF right now. My son - in - law had to have his knee drained once ( I can't remember what for ) and he got immediate relief.

I love my new doctor's ( both of them) - but, I am wondering why he just didn't drain it today and get it over with?

As much as I HATE NEEDLES - you should have seen me today..I acted like a 5 year old and I don't know if I will be able to look at this doctor again.

I am just ready to get rid of the pain.

He said this can happen in the shoulder's, hips, knees, - he may have named a few other places. As soon as I heard needle I forgot almost everything he said after that.

So, I am HOPING no one has went through this pain before - but, if you have - what helped you? what did your doctor do? I am not going to go back and say so and so's doctor done this. I am just curious - I think I can trust my doctor - but, I want to make sure I am going the right route.

I am SO READY to be out of PAIN!

I am still a little nervous from today - so, I hope I made some since. If you need to ask questions please feel free too.

I am only 43 years old - this is depressing for me.

Although this doctor - did NOT tell me to give up anything. He said just be careful and with your hard work and determination - we will work together to get you as back to normal as possible.

I understand where you are coming from Lisa. I hurt my back lifting a patient when I was 35. Then I switched to Psych nursing thinking that I wouldnt lift and I was body slammed by a psychotic patient. I then had a laterally herniated disc, pieces broke off and went into the canal with the nerve down to my left leg. There are 3 nerves in that canal. two were completely occluded and one partially. I lost feeling in my leg and fell often. I also had constant unrelievable pain. They did the surgery removing the chips and fusing those two vertibrae. That was in 1995. Since then I have had two spinal infusions. They gave pretty good relief. I have not had any since. I have just lived with the pain for 20 years. I am now going to be 55 in Dec. wish you the best of luck finding a way to manage your pain. I wont give up all my animals either!

Lyn

I have had bursitis in several joints. The cortisone injections usually work real well. You might have to have one more in a few weeks. That is all it took for mine. I just have one more thing, it might be good to ask for a rheumatoid facter test to see if you might have the beginnings of arthritis or ostio. One thing about arthritis is it can be effectively treated and earlier intervention is better. Just a preventative maintenance thing.

Cortisone shots can cause damage to joints and or tissue but it is usually when they give multiple shots. I have had c. shots in every joint, my shoulders had 2 each and they are fine 15 years later. My knees were the worst had a couple shots early on but the wear and tear to my knees of everyday living was my undoing. Systemic steriods are much worse for you. Deffinetly more that 2 shots is not recommended, it will cause damage to cartilage, sinovium and bone if repeated shots are given, that is only done to give relief to a joint that is slated for replacement to get you by until the surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn,

I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. That makes me feel bad for even complaining. Which I do know people are in worse shape than I am.

I just didn't expect stuff like this until I was much older.

Lyn - I also didn't know you were a nurse. I always feel like nurses do so much work and the doctor's make the big bucks. ( Not, saying nurses don't make a lot of money - I coudn't tell you what they make). I just know sometimes it feels like I deal with the nurses more than the doctors.

Maxi- Minis - I forgot to say I do have arthritis in by back and hip joint.

I don't know if Arthritis is heritetary or not - but, my younger brother suffers with Gout - It absolutly breaks my heart sometimes. Some of his flair ups are HORRIBLE.

So, my arthritis I don't think is a serious type if that makes any since. It is painful though.

My husband thinks it is because I have always worked hard since I was 15 years old. I think it is just my bad luck..lol

At the same time - I thank God - because I could be a lot worse. I am just tired of the pain.

I have high hopes though this injection will work. I sure hope so, I really like my new doctor's - so far anyway.

Bursitis is inflammation of a bursa. A bursa is a tiny fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues. The main bursae are located next to tendons near the large joints, lke shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees. If I were you I would research cortisone injections, Dr's will pump you full of it, it is not a good idea to have more then 3 in a lifetime. What they are injecting you with is synthetic and your body doesn't break it down well, it stays with you and can cause damage to you liver. They don't tell you this because either they don't know or they get good results so choose to ingnore it. For your long term health educate yourself about this. Goodluck, hope you are feeling better soon
default_smile.png

Wanted to add that these injections also eat away at tendons and ligaments, I don't mean to sound like I am totally against using this for treatment but want you to know some facts that most people don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horseplay - Thank you very MUCH!

I have had cortisone shots in my lower back and then now one in my hip joint.

I was so surprised today and hurting so bad I think I would have done about anything to get some relief.

The Facet Joint block did not help my lower back so I didn't go back again like they wanted me too.

Since then I have a new doctor - he said I should feel a relief within 24 to 36 hours. So far, no relief but I only had it done at 3:00 this afternoon. So, I am still hopeful this time it will work.

I don't like cortisone shots to start with. I will do some research and if he wants me to have another one I will take my research to him.

My mother is COMPLETELY against them. I didn't even tell her I had one today.

I am 43 and I still hide things from my mom...LOL. No seriously, I didn't want her to worry about me that is why I didn't tell her.

Thanks again for the information - after I read what you posted that is how he described it. I was just so nervous because I hate needles I had forgotten alot of what he said until your post.

Horseplay - do you know what kind of treatment doctors normally do for this?

Last edited:
I'm sorry about all you are going through. I'll be praying for your healing.

horse play is right. I get bursitis in my left shoulder and first thing the dr said was shot . I said no way. He just couldnt figure out why I said no. I took the motrin and the pain pills and within a week it was much better. Now I have to deal with the calcium deposits on the tendons. But even they are better than that shot. I will ave to watch what I do and hopefully I wont have to deal wih it alot.

Hopefully the motrin he gave you will help and you will feel better. Wishing you the best.

Thanks everyone and ShaunaL - your prayers mean A LOT to me.

liltnt - He gave me prescription Ibuprofen(sp), pain med's for 10 days and then the shot. Here is someone that my husband used to get mad at me for not taking a Tylenol. I have argued with doctors over certain medications I won't take for Migraines, etc.

I feel like the last two years I have been in a circle - Always hurting and then some something else pops up.

I finally got my migraines under control ( thank God). I still get them, but not as often.

Now, I have Fact Joint Syndrome, Arthritis, Bursitis, and my pelvic is not lined correctly( because I have one leg shorter than the other. My Orthopedic doctor told me that on the first visit and I guess the MRI - things were worse then he thought. He said everyone ( I think he said everyone, maybe he said most) have one leg shorter than the other, but mine was really bad. You can't tell it when I walk, but then he says that one leg has taken most of the pressure all my life. etc.. I am ready to scream. But, what I need to be doing is starting to pray more. Thanks for reminding me ShaunaL.

*** There is kind of a funny story that goes with this. I had forgotten all about this, I am going to have to ask my mom today if she remembers and I am sure she will.

Anyway, when I was in high school I needed a Prom Dress hemmed (sp). My mom took me to this older lady down the street, she loved to sew - but, she was a perfectionist. She had me twisted , turned, shoes on and off, I still remember I was a teenager and I had places to go and she was taking forever..LOL. Finally she told my mom, well I have never seen anything like this. I am just going to measure from my floor up. I know it is straight...LOL. By this time - the lady was a little cranky with me. I think it is one of those things you would have to be there and know the lady for it to be so funny. I thought I would share anyway.

Oh, I forgot to ask - Can this sack of fluid go away on it's own? Will the Ibuprofen take it away? I can only take Ibuprofen so long and then it eats at my stomach - I have already been down that road with my back.

I did read something good on the INTERNET last night, that I don't know why my doctor didn't tell me. Some people have to get special shoes made ( well, my leg isn't noticeable when I walk - unless I am in pain).

I was thinking ( this would work for Tennis Shoes or this winter - with winter shoes) about buying soles to put in my shoe on the one side? Does anyone think that would help? I think I am going to try it. I can't remember what they are called, but I have seen them at the Pharmacy.

I had an MRI done on my left knee. They also told me it was Bursitis. so they sent me to an orthopedic doctor for my knee. he told me my knee was fine, It still hurts sometimes though.

Latest posts

Back