Movie to come out in December***

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Ridge Farm

Reaction score
You may already know about this, but I just learned about a kids movie coming out in December starring Nicole Kidman. I believe it's called The Golden Compass, and while it will be a watered down version, it is based on a series of children's books about killing God (It is the anti-Narnia). From what I understand, the hope is to get alot of kids to see the movie - which won't seem too bad - and then get the parents to buy the books for their kids for Christmas. The quotes from the author sum it all up.

You can check out the link below to find out more information.....I folowed the link and read very disturbing thing.s.....I wanted to pass this along to my friends so we could all be aware.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

I really hope the info I got is incorrect, but I had to share just in case.

I know plenty of people who have enjoyed The Golden Compass (the book) and I read/studied it in a college "Children's Literature" class.

I think anyone can skew anything to seem horrible and awful, and that's why I'm not usually too crazy about rabid religious people who freak out about things.

Yep, it's a classic children's book that's being made into a film. Get over it. If you disagree, don't take your kids to see it. I don't think they will be scarred for life though. It's a sci-fi thing. People freaked out over Harry Potter and such, too. Whatever.

Andrea

Andrea,

I appreciate your response and opinion. While I am not a religious freak, I am a christian and like to be informed and aware of what my grandchildren see and how it affects them. I believe we all have the right to make our own decisions, I just wanted to pass along the info and others can make their own decisions. Thanks again for the input.

Peggy
default_wub.png

Peggy,

My family and I too are Christians not religious freaks and I appreciate you posting this info. Definately not one we will go spend $ 60 as a family for tickets and popcorn to see!

Jennifer

I don't know anything about the books or the movie, but I would doubt that any movie will greatly change the way my children think about life.

I let them watch the Narnia movie and we are not religious at all. They enjoyed the movie for what it was, and we did not have any sudden converts after it was over.

One does not have to ascribe to a religious belief in order to be a good person.

Liz M.

Geeze Andrea..who peed in your cheerios this morning?
default_biggrin.png
Just kiddin, I couldn't resist!
default_poke.gif

Religion is always a hot debate...and politics...right now I can't think of anything inspiring to say about either so I'll just
default_shutup.gif

Well I married a baptist and he watched Narnia and Harry Potter. He says it is just a movie. He has also seen witch movies, devil movies and we will probably see The Golden Compass when it comes out. We say movies are just movies. They won't change your religious beliefs. For Baptists Sunday is a day of prayer and rest but I work Sundays. I have about 1200 movies here.
default_laugh.png

I think one has to understand the terminology used in the production. A god doesn't mean thee God of Christianity. Just because someone may have a different god doesn't mean they are anti-religious they believe in a different religion. There are many types of religions with a god or even gods and goddesses. Shall we say the Iliad and the Odyssey are anti-Christian? Like so many other movies and publications the age of understanding / knowing-better is much older than the age group the movie/publication is marketed towards. How many movies out there show the 10 commandments being broken? Those movies can be called anti-Christian. So could the video games that make money from those movies. I'm not against or for anyone's specific opinion. I'm just making my own after reading more about the movie. It's to expensive to go to the movies anyways...
default_new_shocked.gif
I'd rather spend the money on my minis.

It has got so expensive to go to the movies that I just wait till it comes out on DVD and watch them at home. Then if I or Hubby needs a break we don't miss something. And we can watch as often as we want. That one sounds like one I may get. LOVE SCI-FI
default_laugh.png

Okay, so maybe it's anti-religious, but it's got POLAR BEARS IN ARMOR! That's awesome.

I have to agree with what misfitminis said. I'm aware they kill a god in the movie. When they kill this god do they say "Death unto you, Christian God"? Because there are a lot of gods out there...I assume this is just some random god.

It seems like every time a big movie comes out, people take exception with it. Harry Potter's also the devil, you know.

Movies are ultimately about life experiences and situations which humans find interesting or of interest.

I think a religious premise is a natural one, and to assume that a movie would greatly change a person's beliefs is silly. If they are truly believing in what they want to, and need to, no movie should be able to change that.

Only a person's heart can make them change what they believe in.

No separate posts necessary, I would hate to try to judge someone based on what they believed in, or didn't believe in. I have wonderful friends of all beliefs and many religious faiths. I value them all. I respect their right to believe in something, and as long as I see it doing good for them, I am not concerned.

The bottom line is that everyone needs to decide for themselves what is wrong and right, to see a movie or not to. Heck, I boycott Tom Cruise movies because I don't like looking at him, and I think he's a fruitcake. Just my belief, but it's not a religious one.

Liz

Like anything else in life if you or your childs beliefs are strong and secure then not much will change them, not a movie, not a television show, not a homosexual friend, not a wiccan, not someone who has no beliefs or whose beliefs are totally different then yours.

And the reality is... children out in the real world will have to decide of those beliefs they grew up with continue to fit them, if the things that their parents believe in and taught them is really what suits them as they grow and mature and to and live there own beliefs) if they have never seen or been exposed to ideas that differ?

Last edited:
I think the movie may be entertaining to watch....that is why I watch movies....to enjoy and be entertained. I don't know what god is killed but I doubt it points to any certain one. From my own experiences it is not a movie that has changed my thoughts on religion but the whole brain washing, non thinking for oneself that has caused some problems for me with religions/beliefs. JMHO Mary

That book is Amazing, and if you had Read the darn thing, you would realize that it give strong values on sacrifice and love and friendship. Yup don't want my kids seeing any of that kinda stuff. Nope.

Whom ever said it was about killing 'God" they are Wong. Again if you Read it, you would realize the book speaks about killing the source of corruption in the "their church", Not Our church. I hate needless hysteria over innocent things like this. It's Fiction for crying out loud.

I'm Completely with Andrea, religious nutters do nothing for me at all, and I equate them on the same levels as the a kool aid cultist.

If you have a faith, you have faith, and a Kids Movie shouldn't shake you or your kids, if They have faith.

Liz and Lisa said it beautifully.

If you haven't read the series yet, you need to. Both myself and my 64 year old father Really enjoyed them, as have many of my friends.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Back