Movie Recommendations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
I am not sure what started it, but recently I have been a bit of an insomniac, which has led to watching a bunch of Movies, which I don't normally do.

Anyways, I had never realized how great some of the "non-blockbusters" can be. That being said, some of what I have seen may have been blockbusters but I just never heard of them. I was hoping to hear of some movies you guys might have seen that are relatively "unknown", but great finds.

Some of my favorites recently have been,

The Last Station: Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer. Tells the story of the last days of Leo Tolstoy's life, the Auther of War and Peace.

The Trotsky: A very funny Canadian comedy/political drama. About a young Man having a bit of an identity crisis, convinced everyone else is a fascist and that he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky.

Blue Valentine: Big actors with Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, but I had never heard of it when it came out. Incredible "character study" on a young couple. Just very well captured and honest.

V for Vendetta: This was with Natalie Portman and is a very fast past engrossing movie. It is about a "freedom fighter" who's passion to make things right has led him to cross the line into almost terrorist like behavior. It is almost a remaking of The Count of Monte Cristo.

There is a really old one, I think it was released in the early 1990's, the title is "The Last of the Dog Men" It's about a bounty hunter, convicts, and Native Americans. I love it so much and have to watch it whenever I see it is on.

We are great lovers of movies, in our house. Moreso, since we became older.

My two favourites, are..

Far From The Madding Crowd.

Once Upon A Time In The West.

We also like..

Goodfellas.

Mrs. Brown.

The Queen.

The Young Victoria.

The Ghost Writer.

And lately, we've been very into old westerns.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Westerns are one thing I have never been able to get into. I don't know why, but I don't think I have ever really given them a shot. I think the closest I ever got was Grand Tarino, with Clint Eastwood, I enjoyed that, I might need to try one.

I loved The Queen. I thought it was facinating to see the way the family dealt with Dianes death and see why they responded the way they did.

My husband is a huge movie fan and likes westerns. I started watching them, purely because of the enormous amount of cruelty which goes on, connected to the horses used. And that, long after the SPCA got involved.

I'm sure it looks 'tough', to those who don't know horses, to see them yanked about, turned this way and that while pulling on their mouths, but to horse people, it's really horrifying. I'm afraid I watch the horses most of the time and not the actual movie.There are lists on the net, of movies where horses have been injured or killed and it still goes on today.

My daughter rescued two old movie horses, which got me interested in the first place.

The King's Speech is another movie I like. True story. I sort of like those best I think.

Lizzie

V for Vendetta is one of my favorites. So much so that I named a colt 2 years ago, V for Vendetta
default_smile.png

One that I recently watched that only made it to a handful of movie theaters when released was: 50/50....wasn't really keen on watching it as it's not the type I normally like, but it was actually really good. I recommend it!

Ditto to The Kings Speech as well. Excellent

Mrs. Brown

The Queen

The Young Victoria

The Kings Speech

I guess I'm something of an anglophile -- I loved all of these.

While not movies, I was completely addicted to Downton Abbey, and then rewatched the entire series of Upstairs, Downstairs, the Forsyte Saga (old and new versions), and Love in a Cold Climate.

For the most part, though, if I have a choice, I prefer the book.

Back