Moved:Debating whether to Drive My Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
I really want ot drive my gleding since he is a geldinbg i think it would be good for him to have something to do since he doesnt breed...this is the reason why i am debating it..He is very unpredicatable and get spooked very suddenly, he once had a sled behind hima nd he took off he was terrified I really dont want this happening wiht a cart as i dont want hhim to get seriously injured..Has anyone had a horse like this they trained for driving or a horse that was bad at first ie taking off witht he cart. Should i be rttraining him to drive is it because hes imature??hes 4 but seems ot be getting smarter by age. Please give me oyur opinions..do you think he would make a good show driving hrose for local shows and stuff??I updated my webpage!!:)Thanks again! I really want ot drive my gleding since he is a geldinbg i think it would be good for him to have something to do since he doesnt breed...this is the reason why i am debating it..He is very unpredicatable and get spooked very suddenly, he once had a sled behind hima nd he took off he was terrified I really dont want this happening wiht a cart as i dont want hhim to get seriously injured..Has anyone had a horse like this they trained for driving or a horse that was bad at first ie taking off witht he cart. Should i be rttraining him to drive is it because hes imature??hes 4 but seems ot be getting smarter by age. Please give me oyur opinions..do you think he would make a good show driving hrose for local shows and stuff??I updated my webpage!!:)Thanks again!

you double posted.. but for help i have none.. i don't know horses too well
rolleyes.gif
thats why i'm here!

If I'm reading this right, you had a sled behind him at some point and he spooked at it and took off? How long did he run with it? How did you get him to stop?

He may never make a good driving horse with that experience. I would suggest either sending him to a reputable trainer to see if he could be trained, or concentrating on other classes, like obstacle or jumping.

I think you need some experienced help with this. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dev, I think Wee could be a great driving boy but you really need to get an adult that knows what they are doing to help you with breaking him. He has already had a bad experience and the next time he could be seriously injured and so could you. I know you love him and will do the right thing.
wink.gif

If you want to drive him, you should really send him to someone who has experience training horses to drive. A lot of people think you just hook a cart to the horse, lead it around by a lead rope for awhile, then jumpin the cart and he's trained. NO.

As for spooking when a sled was tied to him, that is exactly what 99.9% of horses who haven't been trained to drive would do and you really run the risk of ruining him for driving by doing those kinds of things.

I've trained one mare to drive, and have had many minis professionally trained to drive. You need to do a lot of ground driving, imo you should start with an open (no blinders) bridle and use that even when the cart is introduced and for some time until the horse is driving quietly. There are many steps and many things you couldn't know how to do if you haven't done it before.

With a horse, it is about 1 million times easier to do something right the first time, than to go back and try to un-do things that were done wrong. In my experience, horses do not EVER forget something that has happened to them.

I just want to stress that you need to find a trainer to trian you and your mini to drive. There is so much involved. Even putting the harness on properly is not self explanitory.

Devon, You already know my concerns with Wee. It was unfortunate that you missed the last driving clinic as I had you in mind when booking the clinician. Sticking to training for jumping this year is a wise choice. I know you've learned alot from the unfortunate results of hooking up the sled to Wee before he was ready. Please listen to all the adults who have & are telling you to go slow & get adult supervision. I'm sure we can get some experienced help offered when you are ready.

Sandy

I tyink it is very stressed that i need a ADULT trainer lol so why does everyone repeat it...i shouldnt've put ti behind yesd that was a mistake but i know better now:) dont worry guys i love this little man to death(lol not literally) ansd i would really think over what i am going ot do driving wise:) i firstly need to find a good trainer if i decide to go down that road because it could happento a respectable trainer as well not as likely though but i would be so worried havng him gone..eek!

Latest posts

Back