Mouthy Yearling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromiseAcres

Reaction score
Hi. I have a yrly colt that I am working with for halter showing. He's doing really good in a reg. halter but when I put on the show halter he wants to chew on the chain and ignore. Me. Is there anything to put on the chain to make it taste bad? Anything I can do to make him refocus? He's really got a nice refined head so I'd like to keep in an arabian style show halter.

Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks

Danielle

If he can chew on it its too long. Put a chain keeper on it or use a bumper bar. Good luck!

Hi Danielle,

I would guess that, since he's a yearling, he may be just curious about the new halter - and whether it's good to eat. It's possible that if you put it on him every day, just for a couple minutes of training or whatever, he'll get used to it and stop mouthing it (and start paying attention again). I'd be cautious about using Bitter Apple or something like that on the chain, because if your hand touches it, and then goes near your face.... Owies!

So, you could use a squeaky toy to get his attention off the halter, see if he tries to eat that too, that might indicate that he's just testing his environment.

My gelding, who is now 4 years old, used to mouth everything, especially his halter and lead. He still tries to grab the halter in his mouth instead of sticking his nose in the loop... But he's probably a "special case."
default_wacko.png

Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck with your shows!

Lori

I thought it might be too long.
default_biggrin.png
He's kind of mouthy in general anyways which we've been working with. You have to be care where he is when you're in his pen as he'll come nibble on you, not aggressively just being a onery boy, much like your gelding Lori, I think he's a special case maybe???? Of course I know he's bored being by alone in his pen.

Thanks for the tips.

Danielle

Latest posts

Back