Mouth Sores

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance

Reaction score
We picked Rain up today from my friends house after being away for a week and we noticed that he was foaming at the mouth. We just thought it was because it was so hot outside and then around lunch time we went out, hosed him down and flushed his mouth out with water but the foam kept coming back.

In his mouth he has some sores on his bottom lip (only, not the top) and many on his tongue. His temp is normal, he's acting fine, he's eating hay and grain fine but he's not drinking much water. Now were soaking his hay and going to soak his grain a little to get some water in his system and so that its not so hard to eat. We also gave him some Benadryl. He was last checked by the floater in March and he was last checked by the vet in June. Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening? Do you think he ate something?

Jenny,

I'm not sure as to why the foam, but when someone says "foaming at the mouth" I think rabies. Has he had his rabies shot?

It could be deffinatly something he ate, as they are in his mouth

hopefully someone might have an idea...

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAAH no, its not rabies. I thought that at first also.

I did a search on lilbeginnings on Mouth sores and someone posted that there filly had worms that caused her to have mouth sores, ... don't remember what else.

Now im reading a different fourm about it. Hopefully we'll come up w/ an answer.

Clover can cause foaming at the mouth.

One of my mares had a few odd seizures years ago, and she foamed at the mouth during those.

When was he last dewormed, and with what? Some dewormers don't actually get rid of very many things.

He was last dewormed w/ Anthelcide on 6/7/08, before that was Zimecterin Gold and before that was strongid. We alternate w/ these every 2 months.

Jill, now that you brought up the clover im thinking, I let him eat some grass, not much at all though, that had some clover mixed in, but that was about a month ago.

Well just wanted to be sure. LOL

Theres a certian kind of clover that makes them drool, if he had it a month ago he wouldnt still be drooling.

I can only think its something he ate, a leaf or berry of some sort I dont know.

I would call the vet, personally.

It would sound as if he ate something--perhaps something with thorns/stickers that caused damage to his lip and tongue, or perhaps he chewed on something that caused irritation to his mouth--might he have chewed on a fence board that was treated with something noxious/caustic?

The foaming will most likely be caused by the irritation in his mouth--a sore mouth will cause him to make more saliva than is usual; that combined with not chewing or swallowing normally would account for the foam.

there fence is treated w/ stuff that prevents the horses from chewing on the wood, maybe that caused it. We don't have that at my house so Rain probally didn't know not to mough the fence.

Ah, good possibility that is what caused the problem. A few days at home should have his mouth healing up nicely. Give him soft feed--leafy hay & such, nothing too dry or coarse that will irritate the sores & delay healing.

You might ask your friend if they have any stickers or spear grass in their hay - I've found (the hard way) that esp spear grass is terrible about getting lodged in their gums and causing sores. I dodge it like the plague but everynow and then we get hold of hay with some in it.

Jan

We called the vet this morning and she said it could be caused by blister beatles which are found in the hay that is grown down south. But no, the hay was grown in NY. He seemed fine last night, not too much drool and this morning he seemed fine also. The vet recommended rinsing his mouth out with salt water so hopefully he wil get better.

Latest posts

Back