Mounds of Poop

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, do any of you poop scoop your dry lot? We have been wondering if we should be cleaning that up or just let it break down when it rains.

I do. I am new to all this so I may be doing something I don't have to. That is why I wanted to know about all this poop.

I have an open, cattle feed barn of sorts. Dirt floor, I sweep the poop/hay out to where the roof has eroded away years of soil. 1.5ft on one side and 2.5ft on the other. Added gutters, now, 3yrs later, the sheep side is mostly level, but the horse side still has a bit to go. With little water, it stays firm and nice. Though, if it floods, it could turn into 'gumbo' type soil.

Poop out in pasture I just set the mower to 1in and chop/spread it up. There's enough land and good flies/bugs to break up the poop and the plants to use it up. You don't see the same poop more than about a month, longer in winter until I chop it up. Getting rid of it all together would decrease the fertilizer/nutrition in the soil. Vet hasn't found any worms in sheep or the horses, so it's working for my particular situation.

Latest posts

Back