Moths in the Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a lot of little moths in my hay. Are they harmful to the horses? They are mostly in the alfalfa.

It's been worrying me, so I took everything edible out of the little barn and set off a bug bomb in there. I only have one bale of alfalfa, as it is time for a new batch, so I put it in a black trash bag and am leaving it out in the sun today. Only have two bales of grass hay left, so it was a good time to clean out the barn anyway.

Have no answer to your question. Perhaps this will bump it up and someone who knows will respond.

MA

I noticed the same thing a couple weeks ago. Looked closer at the hay and it was moldy. Burned 17 bales. Fortunately my horses hadn't been given any since spring.

it really is not all that uncommon and is not dangerous to you or your horses as long as the hay is not moldy they are little white moths right?

Well I have not noticed any in the hay but let me tell you they were flying all over & around the hay a few months ago. We had gotten a load of alfalfa mix & there must have been hundreds of them. I would take the broom & swish it around & they would take off by the dozens - then I turned on a powerful fan hoping to blow them out the door. They are gone now & strange but the load of hay we got a few weeks ago from the same man didn't have any come with it this time.

Yes, they are the tiny whiteish ones. I have no mold on the hay. We have had a lot of moisture this spring, so we are having more than our share of bugs.

Thanks for the replies.

I have them in my grain and my grass hay for my horse and it's annoying

Latest posts

Back