Mother Natures Test Strips .. anyone use them ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
Hi

I have been doing some research on Mother Nature's Test kits for telling when your

mare is within 12 hrs of foaling. Some people swear by them.

Anyone here ever use them and did you find them to be accurate for telling you

that foaling was very close

default_biggrin.png
Hi!

Yes, I have used these test strips and found them to be simple to use and accurate. In fact, they were so accurate that I once had a mare that I wasn't thinking was quite ready to foal. I tested her because I though that she was acting a little "funny" but not showing any signds of foaling. Thank God I did because the result was a 95% chance of foaling within 12 hours---she had her foal 6 hours later. She also had a little trouble with the delivery and I was there to assist. Everything worked out great. But, I shudder to think of what could have happened if I wasn't really expecting her to have the foal and she ran into trouble.
default_sad.png
I only had one time when the strips gave a false positive (the mare should have foaled within 12 hours and she didn't). Other than that one time (which could have been user error
default_unsure.png
), the strips have been quite accurate. I plan to buy them again for next year's foaling season.

I also want to mention that my horses are on a barn camera 24 hours a day as soon as they are anywhere near foaling. The strips help you to pay a lot more attention to what's going on in the foaling barn, IMO.

Good Luck!

Debbi

Mini Blessings Farm

This was my first year using the foaling predictor strips and had 100% success. We had six mares to foal out this year and had only six sleepless nights in the barn! Most of my mares only gave milk a a few days before foaling so I only used 4-6 strips per mare. I will never go another foaling season without them.

[SIZE=12pt]Triple T Horse Farm[/SIZE]

Raising correct and colorful AMHA/AMHR Horses

[SIZE=12pt]www.freewebs.com/triplethorseranch[/SIZE]

I had two mares foal out this year. The first one was testing at between 40 and the one above that, so not really supposed to be ready to foal, but I could just tell she would. She foaled that night.

The second one only tested at 40% the day she foaled and didn't test at 95% until 2 hours before she actually foaled, so they did not give me 12 hours warning.

So they are not 100% accurate in that they can say she's not ready but she will foal anyways. But I believe if they do say she's ready, you better camp out in that stall.

I have a big kit of milk strips that I have never used. If anyone wants them, let me know. I will be at Nationals and bring them there. dionne

Hmmm, sounds like They definitely need to be in my kit. Where did You find them at?? Thanks cheryl

Woodnldy - you can go to www.mothernatureskit.com and read about them.

I have not tried them, was just trying to see if it would HELP determine when

my girl was getting close so I dont go shopping or something and miss it.

I've never used 'em, but another mini breeder on another group (well several actually) recommended using the regular old pool test strips like you get from Wal-mart, and I tried those this year, with excellent results.

Latest posts

Back