Mother-in-law had knee surgery and had a stroke

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have them get her in a decompression chamber NOW!!! The Dr.'s here at Barrows (top neurological center in the country) has found that forcing oxygen into the bloodstream can reverse some or all side effects of strokes. It is absolutely amazing and I know that Barrows isnt' the only hospital doing this.

The sooner she gets started the better chance she has of recovery.

Prayers coming your way.

Robin

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother n' law. I will keep her in my prayers. I hope she will beable to recover.

UpDate!!

I went last night and she talked alot again, sometimes childlike, sometimes like an adult..

They had given her icecream and a Pepsi yesterday and she did fine(1st she had eaten in a week) so they brought her dinner and said she can do it if you will help her. So I went to hand her fork and she said " You do it". I really wanted to get some food in her so I did feed her, she ate 1/2 her green beans and some peaches and took 1 bite of turkey /gravy and mashed potatoes/gravy and said "Yuk"!!

Once when the nurse came in my MIL ( Judy) said to the nurse " Hi Judy" the nurse said " My name isnt Judy, your name is Judy" MIL said "Who am I" Nurse said Judy and MIL said and you are Nancy!! ( that is the nurses name) so she is putting things together..

She also called out for Cory (my son)" I want Cory" I told her he cant come til she gets better and she said " Does he love me"? I told her Yes of course and she said "OK"..

She wants us to hold her hand alot and says " Dont leave me in a little pitiful voice... I wonder if she isnt Twelling on something that happened in her past and she was scared so is afraid we will leave her?

They think they have figured out why she had the stroke. They said she has a alot of plaque in her 2 arteries above her heart so if a piece of plaque came off then that would have caused the blood clot then the stroke.

So now we are waiting for a consult with a vascular surgeon to see if he thinks she will need another surgery to clean out all that plaque.. We dont want her to have another surgery BUT they also said this could happen again, the plaque could come loose and here we would go again. At least she was in the hospital when this happened, we might not be so lucky next time..

My husband just came from there today and they had her sitting up in a chair, she was trying to remember everyones b-days.. She was remembering the months pretty good but she kept saying the 31st for everyones b-days ( they Dont all fall on the 31st) LOL

When my husband asked if she remembered me being there last night she said " she brought me dinner" so she does remember me feeding her...

I hope we are on the road to recovery, if not a full one, then hopefully as close as we can get..

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts, I really appreciate it...

Missy
default_smile.png

Please,please accept me best wishes and prayers for her and let her know I personally know how it feels..2 yrs ago I had a knee replacement and that was followed by blood clots to my lungs nad brain which resultes in Pulminary Edema and a stroke..then I had anothe stroke on top of that one in the same exact place! (Some of you probably remember)

I woke up and couldn't talk, left side was gone etc...it's so lonely and scary to be the one laying there..but I'm sure like me she's in good hands and with God's good grace will survive and do well.

If you can give her a hug for me..keep us posted,

Maxine

Update

MIL is now at Rusk a rehabilitation hospital. She is doing well. still has some garbled replies but mostly normal.

The dr said he cant believe she is doing so well after this massive stroke! She should be paralized or no speech.

Some thing s dont compute. One day my husband walked in and she said thats my son hes a plumber! He said " Mom I'm an electrician" she has told a few people he is a plumber ( the 1 job he says he never wants) !!

They are working her knees too slowly but coming along.

She does complain of dizziness when she sets up, which worries me, but I'm hoping it will soon pass.

We have been packing up her house, garage sale pile, trash pile, us kids pile. Let me tell you she has papers that are from 20 yrs ago that have to be shredded/burned! A lesson to us all, please dont keep everything that is ok to get rid of!! I have finally resorted to burning the papers, shredding is taking too long and burning up shredders!!

I am so NOT a packrat, my MIL and my Mom are BIG packrats!!

We are gonna have a huge garage sale. She keeps saying she doesnt need much, which is true. She has tons of fabric and craft projects( unstarted) she hasnt sewn in years and so someone is gonna be so happy with these cool deals at the garage sale!!

We are selling her house and mini van. She is supposed to move to Louisville, KY to my sister in laws and her family after we get her stable enough. She has always lived here near us but my SIL want to move her, My MIL made me cry the other day when she said in a small voice" But I will miss you all"!! I started bawling... She says she is ok with moving to kentucky. I always love to go to KY to visit so now we will jsut go more..

Thanks for everyones good thought and prayers, we appreciate it and she is slowly coming along...

Missy

I am also glad to hear she is doing so well.having family visit is so important i know.

Bless ou for caring so mucvh.

Hugs

Bonnie

I had wondered how she was doing and glad things are progressing for the family and for her

So glad to hear your Mother in Law is doing better, what a blessing.

Continued prayers for your MIL and your family.

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
Back