Mother-in-law had knee surgery and had a stroke

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
My mother in law had knee replacement surgery on both knees this last Tuesday, she wasnt coming out of the anethesia very well, so they started questioning what was up. They did an MRI and said she had a BIG stroke on Thursday and some small strokes since. She is in intensive care now and still doesnt know what is up. She seems to be sleeping all the time, will open her eyes for a second and talk alittle. When you ask her something she says "NO" or "Yes", but today she just ripped my heart out crying for her mommy. "Dont leave me Mama" When my sister in law asked her" Mother what do you want", she said "please dont leave me" in this little tiny sad voice!!

Her brain has swelling, so they are waiting for it to go down.

They said she might never see well, drive, walk, its all up in the air.

So i need lots of prayers please, I know it works...

My sister in law did take her some lip stuff, carmex cause her lips are so dry and she asked Mom to rub her lips together and she did it, so we are glad she understood that...

She seems to be childlike and her emotional side of the brain doesnt seem to be working, she answers very curt... When her blood pressure cuff(on her leg) squeezes she says, Ouch like a small child..

Anyway we can use all the prayers we can get to get her thru this and be somewhat herself

Missy

I'm so sorry for her. I will keep her and all of your family in my prayers.

default_sad.png
Awww, how sad this must be for the family. Sending prayers for your Mother In Law's recovery.

Prayers coming to you Missy that your Mother In Law gets through this and recovers well. Keep your faith there are a lot prayers for you and yours.

God bless

Sending you lots of prayers! My heart is going out to you and your family.........

I am so sorry! My Grandfather had a stroke going into hip surgery. When I went in to see him right before his surgery, I noticed that his hand was all shriveled and he even looked at me and said his hand wasn't working. I tried to notify the nurse but nobody seemed concerned about it. So needless to say he had a very bad stroke before and after his surgery. He lost use of his left side and was never the same.

Having said this, I have heard of many stroke victims coming back just fine.
default_yes.gif
My personal experience was bad but there are many, many good outcomes! I pray this is the case with your loved one. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Very sorry to hear the bad news. My mother too just after heart surgery. She didn't wake up for two days, had a stroke then tons of TIAS followed. She was blind so it was really hard on her.

What is up with these anaesthesiologists! I hear about these things happening way too often.

I am so glad the doctors are on it thank goodness. Lets hope she can ralley soon and bounce back.

Oh gosh...that is heartbreaking. I pray that the doctors figure out what is going on and they can help her.

Missy --

Your MIL and family are in my thoughts and prayers! This must be so hard!!!

Jill

I am so sorry to hear this and I sure hope your mother-in-law gets better. It is so hard watching your family member when they are so ill. Try to hold her hand, hug her and touch her as much as possible because the human touch does wonders for them.

I will keep her in my prayers.

Debbie

Awwww I am so sorry. I will keep you all in my prayers...hoping that your mother-in-law starts feeling normal very soon. I had a friend whose mother had a very bad stroke so that she was in a wheelchair for some time afterwards. One side of her face was paralized. After some time and therapy she is out of the wheelchair and you've never known she ever had one. That is my hope for your MIL.

Praying for your Mom In Law. I went through a similar situation with both my grandparents in the last four years. It is scary and hard to understand. hang in there!

Update on my Mother -in -law.

Yesterday she started calling all our names and asking for us. So we were excited about this as she had been just sleeping, eyes closed all the time without much of any response..

She was talking funny, like saying weird phrases or saying someones name wrong and then we would ask her again and she would say it correct..

She does sometimes talk in a little girl voice, "Dont leave me Mama, or please dont leave " I am scared.. I tired, I hungry, I want Icecream, Icecream, Icecream. She ask if its gonna go away...She said I confused and then a guy in the next room in ICU yelled out and she asked "What was that"? We told her another patient and she said" I dont want to confuse him"!! We did laugh at that one... I guess you have to find humor in it all...

Today she is finally sitting up in bed with her eyes open ( had them closed for a week)... She hasnt been able to do anything for her knee surgery, exercise I mean, so getting her in a sitting position is good...

We are hoping the swelling in her brain has went down and thats why she is talking alot, we are waiting to find out about it...

I just keep breaking out in tears, its hard to see a strong woman who raised 3 kids by herself due to her husband dying when she was 29, being this weak and sounding like a child, it breaks my heart..

I will see her again this evening and hope she is still improving. I hope she goes back to more of herself but they have told us no guarantees, she might have to go to a home to get the help she needs. Could be in a child like state, this could affect her vision as well as her speech. She is an avid reader so I hope her vision isnt affected. I think she would rather loose anything but her eyes...

I'll post another update when I have it and thanks for everyones prayers..

Missy

That's a good sign that she is talking a little more. This whole thing hits very close to home for me. I am so sorry this happened. Stay strong. You have a whole forum here for you
default_wink.png
Please keep us posted on her progress.

I used to care for folks with strokes in their home. Sometimes they can be very nasty to family members but PLEASE remember it is the stroke causing the change in personality and they cannot help it...prayers are out to you and your family for her recovery.

default_wub.png
My thoughts are with you and it does sound like she is making slight improvements based on your update..... I wish you the best and I know it may sound harsh, but she was in the best place for her if she was going to have a stroke, in the hospital. I am guessing she went through some tests before the surgery, they usually do that so that they can minimize the chance of a stroke......I know they can't prevent

everything. I know my Dad had foot surgery and was having problems before his surgery and darned it he didn't tell them....and it was after the surgery a couple of days that we found out he was having mini strokes.....and his carotid artery was 85% per clogged....needless to say he had another surgery quickly and that seems to have helped.

I do wish the best for you all and my thoughts are with all of you!!

Latest posts

Back