Mosquitos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Rain here has been horrible and the dang mosquitos are out in full force. Within minutes of being out on grass horses faces are covered with the little beggers. How long do you wait till you put fly masks on mares w/babies. Im so afraid babies being babies will get hoof caught. Ive tried putting it on very loosely with only using the ends of the velcrow in hopes that it would come off with a caught hoof. Just wondering what every one else does. Sprays don't help too much...with white face horses you can really "see" just how many mosquitos are around!! Suggestions please? Thanks

I get my foals used to fly bonnets right away, and put one on the dam once they go back out on pasture. I got the pattern from suitability to make mini foal sized ones myself as I had a difficult time finding foal sizes ones available. I found that the foals do more damage rubbing their itchy faces on fence and trees as a result of itchy but bites, then they do getting used to a fly bonnet. If you take a bic razor to the rough side of the Velcro to shorten it a bit, (not too much or it will not attach and close anymore) it will not lock and stick quite as strong if you are worried about your little one getting a hoof caught in it or hanging it up on a fence and getting hurt as a result of the Velcro not letting go. I find that my mares seem less agitated and therefor more patient with their boisterous foals if they are not being irritated by mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are dangerous not to mention annoying as they transmit so many diseases. I worry about momma getting bit and possibly transmitting diseases to the foal in really buggy conditions. Even though I vaccinate all of my horses, the threat of West Nile and Sleeping Sickness is scary. Some foals have weaker immune systems and you can never be too careful. Try good fly repellent like swat ointment on the foals face too to help ward off those pesky skeeters. Your horses will thank you for it I'm sure. Good luck

We havent' had enough rain in a few years for mosquitoes to be a problem. But, in the past I've just used OFF. Spritz on the horse body, and spray it on my hands then rub their faces. I worried that the deet might build up on them, but it didn't seem to be a problem. Brushing good every day or so can help with buildup. Fly spray doesn't deter mosquitoes.

I've worried about having all their blood sucked out, so I know what you mean about a bad mosquito time. And the welts they sometimes get is hard to deal with.

An advantage of drought is few flies and no mosquitos...

Others are covering this on one of the other forums I'm on.

Seems folks in Australia and Texas are using ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar). They say that you must get the "natural" stuff with the "mother" in it - not the processed kind you'd find in Food Lion, IGA, Piggly Wiggly, Safeway or Wal-Mart. I have no idea where to find it that way - but haven't really searched yet... I guess Natural Food stores? They said that each individual full size horse got about 1/2 cup at each feeding. Some also put It in their water tanks or buckets - after going thru a period of getting the horses used to it so they don't refuse to drink at all.

I have used ACV from Wal-Mart and have seen a difference in my ponies. It's been a while - I have a lot that I feed individually and I'm not ready to start adding other liquids right now... BUT then again, we too have started having problems with flies, mosquitos and bot flies with all of our rain. I DO like using a Swat type product I make myself - using Vaseline and fly spray concentrate. I take the extra large container and add 1 oz of my fly spray concentrate. Then I apply the "ointment" to their faces, ears, chests and bellies as needed. Usually don't need to do this everyday. Of course, if they rub on you - it's very greasy and will stain clothes, LOL!

Latest posts

Back