Mosquito Magnet??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
The bugs are horrible this year!!! I feel so sorry for my horses!! A friend of mine told me about the Mosquito Magnet. Yesterday we invested in one from Home Depot. It is supposed to cover an acre and will capture mosquitoes, gnats and other biting insects. This one uses a 20 lb. LP-Gas Cylinder and has a power cord, the non-electric ones were like $200. more.

Just wondering if anyone has tried these and whether or not you feel they are successful????

HMMMM! Guess I should have asked before we made the purchase!

I went out this morning and checked and there were a LOT of mosquitoes already in the net. I am hoping this will give some relief from these nasty insects!!

I don't have one, but I sure wish I did since we've got so many mosquitoes this year. If I'd known about them back in the spring I'd have bought one, but I can't afford one now, and I think all the stores are sold out of them now anyway.

I've talked to people that have them, and everyone says they do work. However, don't expect to see great results with yours for 2 to 4 weeks, because they do take time to be effective. The idea is you're supposed to set them up before the mosquitoes get too plentiful, then all along the magnet is catching the females. With the females being caught, they are not laying eggs, and so you have no hatches of new mosquitoes, and within a month or so--almost no mosquitoes!

If we were to set one up here now, because there are so many mosquitoes already, and so many eggs already laid--it would take a long time for a magnet to eliminate them. But, I plan to get one set up next spring so that we and the horses can enjoy a mosquito-free summer. Even if next year the mosquitoes aren't as bad as they are this year....we always have plenty of them so a Magnet will be worth having.

I've been told the Magnets also attract & catch the big "bulldog" flies.

My kids live in Alaska where the mosquito is called the state bird.

They have used it for the last 3 years and really like them.

They have 2 that they use on the 1 acre they have, and swear by it.

They think it's a great investment.

It will take about 30 days for you to see a big difference, because of the life cycles the mosquitos. We have two - one for the front and one for the back of the house. We used them for the past three or four years and then this year didn't set them up and my husband actually thinks we have fewer mosquitos this year. I thought they worked fine and we were constantly cleaning big balls of dead bugs out of them. I think the real reason we don't have too bad of a problem is because we are within the metro area of the twin cities and the mosquito patrol is constantly spraying our area by helicopter and on the ground. They even walk on our land and spray our pastures and wetlands.

Latest posts

Back