More ration balancer questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
So, I'm about to make the switch from Midas (coming 3yr old gelding, currently in no work, soon going to attempt to train for hunter, and fit for halter for local open shows) current diet which is:

Basically free choice grass mix hay, 1 handful blueseal strategy pelleted grain, Quiessence, and grand coat. He is not I/R, quiessence is because he is a very easy keeper and vet said it would be a good preventative, and also help calm him down a bit (he tends to be hot headed)

He is fat in some places (over his hips and his butt) but has a bit of a belly, and is lacking in the top line. I don't think he is butt high because he was level as a yearling when fit, and his withers and butt are same height, hes just missing the "in between". I would like to change his diet because I feel something is lacking, and the hay at the barn where I board isn't a GREAT quality, so I don't believe he is getting enough nutrients from it. I dont feel that the 1 handful 2x a day of strategy is enough to even give him the proper nutrients, because it is not a concentrated feed.

So, I am looking into ration balancers. My options are either Buckeye grow n win (for grass hay, 32% protein) or purina enrich 32 (formerly born to win, also for grass hay, 32% protein) From what I am reading they are about the same. Both are 32% protein, 5% fat, 5% fiber, I dont see the NSC for enrich 32, but for the grow n win it is 13%.

-Also, the grow n win first ingredients are: dehulled soybean meal, heat processed soybeans, wheat middlings, maize distillers dried grains, dehydrated alfalfa meal, L-Lysine, flax seed, vegetable oil, then the vitamins/minerals

-Enrich 32 ingredients are: Plant protein products, processed grain by-products, calcium carbonate, mono calcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, molasses products, forage products, soybean oil, then the vitamins/minerals.

Ingredient wise, I would think that the grow n win would be the better product, but im not experienced in ration balancers at all, so appreciate your input on what you think the better product is. Also, I see that I can feed oats for additional calories if my horse is in work.

Generally, how much oats do you feed to keep a horse in condition if it is in on a mild to moderate exercise schedule?

I really think that the ration balancer is the way to go, but I'm afraid that when I start working him harder and conditioning him that I won't be able to keep him in show shape if hes not on a regular grain, or that I'm going to have to worry about a hay belly, since this is meant to go with a hay based diet plan. One way I'm wondering if I'm not better off putting him on a 14% protein, 5% fat complete pelleted feed. I know with this in show season I can keep him fit, and I wont have to worry much about a hay belly as I can feed a good bit of beet pulp, some hay, and the complete feed has forage too.

I'm just trying to get my information correct before I stop by the feed store tomorrow.

It would be a great help if anyone had pictures of their conditioned show horses on a ration balancer so I can see what kind of shape it keeps them in.

Also, I have seen a lot of places saying not to add any supplements with a ration balancer, does this mean I cant feed a coat supplement or quiessence with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the gron n win, personally. It is expensive, but when reading the label, you use a TINY amout. Like a cup or two a day. I think buckeye is one of the most honest grain ompanies, as to whats in their grain. If you called them up I bet they would answer any specific question about whats in the grain, and if you called purena or nutrena, good luck.

I think ration ballencers are great, especially for easy keepers. In the show season, you may have to add a fat source, as there is not a whole lot of fat in the grain. If safechoice doesnt work out for my gelding, Im planning on a ration balencer.

And yes, It does mean no additives.(except coat supplement, they are basicly just forms of fat) There is so much nutrition packed into ration ballencers there is no need for vitamins ( Quiesennce) as it would interupt the existing vitamin levers.

Good Luck, post pictures in the spring so we can see how he looks!!
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big believer in the buckeye products, i feed my broodmares Gro N Win and my growing horses that need the extra protein. I think once you mix in the oats and beet pulp with the GNW that you will be fine keeping him filled out in show shape. I always added Rice Bran Oil ontop too for extra fat and to keep a nice coat on them.

I like the ration ballancers, but it seems like "regular grains" keep them filled out better? Atleast that is what it seems like with my horses, might just be something different as to how i feed. I add in a muscle suppliment for some too.

My show horses are on tiz whiz sisteen perfect and a few are on the muscle suppliment. Come about March they will be on tiz whiz sixteen, beet pulp, rice bran oil, boss and will keep a few on the muscle suppliment which is working good.

The GNW kept my horses nice and fat, some others i noticed around the flanks was not as smooth but i think you would be fine
default_smile.png

I got the grow n win today. I got lucky, there was a $2 off coupon, so I was excited. I need to weigh a scoop of it and get the proper amoutn figured out by weight, then i'll take it to the barn for Midas. I'll try to get before pictures too, then pictures every 30 days so I can monitor how he does.

I love Gro N Win. My horses get whole flax with it--and boy are their coats shiny. The horses who aren't growing get 1/3-1/2 c twice a day, the pregnant mares get about 3/4-1 c twice a day. I have it measured out--but the numbers are in the barn. Buckeye sent me a chart, but now the amounts for minis are on the package. Great stuff. I predict you'll be pleased.
default_smile.png

I got the grow n win today. I got lucky, there was a $2 off coupon, so I was excited. I need to weigh a scoop of it and get the proper amoutn figured out by weight, then i'll take it to the barn for Midas. I'll try to get before pictures too, then pictures every 30 days so I can monitor how he does.
I've been getting the $2 off for about..hmm...2 years?
default_smile.png
..seems to always be on the bag ...

You can add in Stablized Rice Bran for extra calories too....

We are trying out Tribute Essential K. After doing some research on it I have found out that it is the original version of Gro n Win.

Have only been on it for about 3 months, but I can say I do love it for my easy keepers, and my 23 yr old stallion has never looked better. On the flip side I do not know how this feed will stand up for my show horses being worked, hauled, etc. And I have one tiny yearling colt who doesn't seem to be doing any better on it. He is the reason I tried it! My vet said that he needed more protein, he has the pot belly going on
default_wacko.png
, and we are having a boogie of a time getting him to loose it and go back to being my cute tiny show guy!

I feel Buckeye/Progressive is the premium horse feed around. And, both companies will provide you with great customer service- will answer questions and help you work out a feed program.

Good luck to you!

Peggy

Latest posts

Back