MORE QUESTIONS ON TAKING TEMP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
HOW LONG DO YOU NEED TO WAIT TO GET A ACCURATE READING? AND WHAT IS A NORMAL TEMP? HOW HIGH BEFORE YOU CALL VET?

Wait 2-3 mins.

Average is 99.5 - 101.5

Anything over 103 Id call the vet, especially if the horse is sick.

ARR Cant Type! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
go to K Mart and buy a digital for 9.99. It only takes 8 seconds. dionne

Make sure you get a quality thermometer though... I almost trust the alcohol ones better. I once had to temp the whole barn (50 head) due to an influenza like thing going through and all of my horses were perfectly normal... until the other guy helping me take temps accidently did one I had already done, and came up with a 104 fever. EVERY horse I temped was 4 degrees hotter than mine read them to be!

Anything over 102 would warrent special care and careful watching. Anything over 103-104 demands a call to the vet.

Make sure you get a quality thermometer though... I almost trust the alcohol ones better.
I agree Nathan. I just get a thermometer made for equines/bovines. It has a hole in the end where you can tie a string or whatever around it with a small clamp. That way you can clap the string to some tail hairs. If the horse moves or poops
default_rolleyes.gif
and the themometer falls into your bedding it can be a pain to find. Also you don't have to stand there with your hand on the thermometer while taking temps.

I use a digital, tested it before hand to see where it reads (about .5C low) and I tied a string around the end in a groove made to lock into its case. Of course it doesn't fit the case now but I won't loose it places where I don't want to either. I buy a new one before foaling season each year so I don't face battery failure at a crucial time.

I like the flexible digital ones, especially for the foals.

The thought of a broken glass one inside is not pleasent to me.

I had a glass one break inside a foal and then had to sit waiting for an hour til she pooped!!

Luckily, (very luckily) all was well, but I have used digital ones since then!!

Back