More pictures of my possibly Cushings Pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I am kicking myself for not taking some of her before I clipped her!
default_frusty.gif

For those of you who didn't see my other post, I just aquired this older pony mare. She came to me skinny and with what I call a winter coat. (2-3 inch long hair) I believe that she may have a cushings or another thyroid problem. The vet is supposed to come out this week to test her.

I have taken her off of the grain and she is dry lotted and eating bermuda hay only. I have washed her again in a medicated shampoo and that seems to have helped the itching. And I am keeping her sprayed well with fly spray as some of the spots look like they may be irritated insect bites. And I am trying to keep her out of the sun as she has some areas (shoulders and flank) where she rubbed all the hair off and I don't want her to get sunburned.

The following pictures show some of the irritated areas on her neck, chest and face.

(Ignore the awful clip job! I was trying to leave enough hair to keep her from getting sunburned)
default_wacko.png

pony10.jpg

pony8.jpg

pony9.jpg

pony7.jpg

Yuck. She looks ouchy all over, and not only from her skin. I hope the vet turns up some answers for you. I'm thinking allergies as well as the potential for cushings. If this was my mare, I would be using Eqyss Micro-Tek shampoo on her and NO bug spray unless they are actually getting to her. I think it's a good idea that you've got her on a single source of chow. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cushings horses quite often have compromised immune systems. Your vet will be able to tell you more once you have had her tested.

Liz R.

I agree it looks like a bad lice infestation!! I had a donkey that was the same way!! Long hair and spots rubbed raw!! She looks great now!! Good luck with her!!

Heidi

I answered your email before I came here and saw these pics. I think my idea that I told you of bathing her in Harts 2 in 1 flea & tick dog shampoo is a good one! That stuff is great and kills all lice, even the tiny kind that's imbedded in the skin!

Give her a hug for me!

To everyone who has mentioned lice...

Should you be able to see them? This is what I first thought of and I searched for lice really well. Didn't find any. Could it be from a past lice infestation???

Yes, you can see them, but sometimes when they are wooly, they are hiding in that deep hair and not necessarily in the exact spot that you part the hair to peek in for them. And then when you clip them, they may well jump off, or fall out when the hair clips off. I bought a mare once that came loaded, and I mean LOADED with lice. It was the worst case I had ever seen on a horse! (UGH, I am just scratching and itching reading and writing here! LOL) I was able to see them. This mare of yours looks like those spots are clearly bites from lice...all those spots are indicative of louse bites/infestation. I would definately get her treated with dust (powder) or better yet, a liquid, and if she has been shared areas with other horses, they too should be treated. Even if they were not in together, the lice can fall off the infested mare and jump onto another horse that may be in that same stall/pen. Combs, brushes etc., should also be disinfected with the lice spray. Then repeat the treatment in about 10 days.

It could also be rain rot, allergic reaction, staph infection, lice or mange. Your vet should be able to diagnose.

If she is a cushing horse there is a great yahoo group that can offer tons of support and information on Cushing and Insulin Resistance.

I'm thinking:
default_smile.png

She could be wormy this will cause her not to shed. The sores could be rain rot or lice as others have said. In either of these cases the clip job you did will be more beneficial to her than most anything else you can do. You can bath her in chlorox/water mix, this will kill the lice and also the rain rot. Letting it dry out is perfect! Or it could be simply hair that is trying to shed but was not brushed out or rubbed off and is causing her to itch making the sores. Lice I thought was head/ear/butt areas? Fleas could do this too, but again, the clip job, bath and "dry" body will help a lot.

Poor little mare, I'm so glad you have her and doing well with her. I believe I did see photos of her before you clipped her. Did you post some?

The areas on your hrose look very like the condition my horse has--the one having the skin biopsy. My horse does NOT have lice. I am bathing with two different fungal shampoos--per vet orders--but am waiting for the cultures on fungus, insect, bacteria and autoimmune to come back. The histopathic report showed a slight allergic reaction.

If you want to try a fungal shampoo, get Malsaab from the vet or dog groomer. It is for yeast infection. You have to wash the whole body, including mane and tail, as it is my understanding that the fungus travels internally and can affect another area.

Also, try diluted Dawn. Try rubbing Listerine on some areas and see if that helps any.

MTG also seems to help. I think the active ingredient in it is a juniper tar.

Some insect dips are NOT for horses. Be sure to read the label.

What do the insides of the ears look like?

Hope the vet can get you some answers. I've done a ton of research on cushings and she doesn't look like a cushings horse to me (could have early stages). But I agree with everyone else. Worm her good and treat her for lice and then go from there. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back