More on Dwarfism and Research

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Everyone interested and watching these threads needs to know a little background about John Eberth and his interest in improving the miniature horse breed and his interest in dwarfism in our miniature horse breed. In 1994 my brother John and my mom, Marianne sat down and discussed a particular breeding problem with a certain stallion we owned. As a result, our farm donated this stallion to University of Kentucky and Dr. Swerzcek (who was the head of Equine Pathology), for research on a particular breeding project he was working on at that time. The Stallion was Komokos Wee Willie that Little King Farm had purchased from Komokos Ranch along with Komokos Little King Supreme back in 1981. This donation was a major decision that had a definite financial impact on our farm at the time. Wee Willie was Reserve National Grand Champion Senior Stallion in 1985. He had produced for us, 2 National Champions and was considered a cornerstone stallion in the LKF breeding program at that time. Although Little King Farm was not breeding the number of mares then as we are now, we were still goal oriented in producing the best horses possible.

This particular stallion was presenting not only a genetic problem but also a true loss of income problem for the farm. He was siring multiple dwarfs and foals with some of these pronounced characteristics. As the breeding years went by, John and Mom, began to study and note the occurrences of dwarfs resulting in breeding Wee Willie and some of the other smaller horses with certain distinguishable characteristics (Komokos Don Juan and Komokos Apple Jack). These initial general observations sparked and set the stage for curiosity and educational interest. From Mom's breeding interests to John's later academic interest (as he later studied in undergraduate college genetics). It became a near passion to pursue the cause and occurrence of this anomaly.

Even though eliminating this horse from our breeding program did not eliminate some of the chances of producing dwarfs, it was an initial step into the understanding of this genetic problem. And it did set a pattern of occurrence and identifying characteristics in the minds of both Mom and John.

In 1976, when Little King Farm began, most of the very high priced horses were the smallest horses of the time. At the 1st Komoko Ranch Auction in Florida, the mares with dwarfs on their sides brought the highest prices along with the very very small stallions. Mom recalls that when she and dad purchased a little herd of mares from Bob Bridges of Komoko Ranch, one group of mares he had for sale under 28" were priced 3 times higher than the package they bought of mares 30" to 34". Small was considered better in that day. However, Mom felt the smaller mares did not have the proportion and look she wanted to produce and show. She felt that they had characteristics that were unusual and possibly genetically transferable.

As time went on John would collect DNA and info from any dwarf we had or he heard of. He would also collect blood from sires and dams and note the pedigree of the horse. Mom recalls how her freezer was always full of carcasses and blood that John had saved or other people had collected for him. Finally we just bought a freezer for such specimens. Mom remembers giving John $300.00 when he was in undergraduate school to buy unsundrie lab supplies that the school ( DePaw Univ.) would not provide and that John needed to research his samples etc. When John moved from his undergraduate school to UK grad school, he moved all his samples and has moved them a multitude of times since, including bodies! He has done more studying and genetic work on miniature horse dwarfs than anyone I know. In 1994 he did an internship at UC Davis under Ann Bowling and found that there was a problem because what they were calling a dwarf was not exactly what we called a dwarf. He also found that there are many different kinds/mutations of dwarfs as there are in other species. He also said that Ann was doing alot of her dwarf research on her own, due to lack of funds, and most of what she knew was in her head. Unfortunately all her research died with her before being well documented.

John's extensive work and commitment to this is a foundation to determining a way to test for certain kinds of dwarfism. He continues to be committed to this and UK and Gus Cothran* are directing him in his interest now. John has always funded this himself. He has solely put hundreds and hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into this on his own . UK has had no current funding to help John so he is limited hopefully until now. Mom is working on a project to help the further studying of this dwarf issue and with the ultimate goal of a testing program. We as representatives of the Heritage Sale are hoping to donate a % of the gross sales at the Heritage Sale to this Program at the University of Kentucky and she would like to challenge all other miniature horse sales to do the same.

We, at LKF, are not an advocate of eliminating the miniatures that test positive for the dwarf gene from the breeding pool. That would have more of a negative effect on the breed as it is now. Entire farms and breeding programs would go out of business if you took away their main breeding stallion or majority of their mares because they carry a gene that can or cannot be passed on to future foals. A basic understanding of how genes are passed must be considered before jumping to final conclusion and elimination of these horses that carry the dwarf gene. We need to treat this genetic trait the same as the HYPP in Quarter Horses by identifying the gene/s and guide breeding programs accordingly. A horse that carries the dwarf gene may also carry traits that are so necessary for the refinement and structure of proportion and conformation for the future of the miniature horse.

We can imagine that people are afraid that their entire herd, years of work and money could be wiped out if this gene was identified and forced to be eliminated from the gene pool. It has been estimated by many experienced breeders that as many as 50-75% of minis carry this gene. If these were all eliminated - what would we breed? There would not be a large enough gene pool to substantiate the miniature horse economy and registries as they are now. It is much more benefical for all of the breeders, associations and businesses involved to learn how to live with the genetic profile these miniatures have and work within those parameters towards a common goal. In time, a gene like dwarfism can be minimalized and in long term eliminated thru genetic selection and knowledged breeding. The idea is not to scare people away, but to recognize the situation and look toward a future that is benefical for both horse and breeder.

Robin-LKF

*E. Gus Cothran

BS - North Texas State University

MS - North Texas State University

PhD - University of Oklahoma

Research - Equine Parentage Verification and Research:

Biochemical genetic relationships and evolution of the Equidae

Population structure and the maintenance of genetic variation in horse breeds

Genetic relationship of domestic horse breeds

Genetics of wild horse populations

Conservation genetics of rare breeds

Evolution of the protease inhibitor system in equids

Relationships among genetic variation and reproductive characteristics in horses

Gene mapping in the horse

Robin,

I want to thank you for your honesty on this subject. Hats off to you, and LKF for being open to us all. We can learn from more and more posts like this.

This should be a learning forum, and I think it might be headed that direction again. :aktion033:

[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]Thank you so much Robin for letting us smaller breeders know what you are taking upon yourselves to do to better the breed. It is a scary gene that definately needs to be studied. I thank you.

[SIZE=18pt]Thank you Little King Farm for taking this upon yourselves to help with the problem even though it meant a financial loss for you. I dont know of many if any other major farms that would do that! I have gained even more respect for you and your mission.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Robin,

I so very much appreciate your post! It was a few years ago when someone posted that they were doing a paper on dwarfism and you suggested they write to John, that I also wrote to him....... as I had been interested in this also.

Your approach echoes so very much what both your brother John and Tony Greaves have told me for several years now when I have emailed with them about this.

We are so fortunate that your mom and your family took the interest and put the time and effort and money they did to set the ground work for studying this.

Thank you so much, all of you.

Susan O.

Robin...I hope you will keep us posted on the progress of this research!!

And I am sure many of us will contribute monetarily as much as we can, and also with specimens and pedigrees. What you learn from this will be a benefit to us ALL.

My hat`s off to you and your family!!! :aktion033:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I wish more breeders would be as open about this problem as you and your family!

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin,

There is such a need for more people and breeders like you in all size horses!! Kudos to you for being upfront and honest. Thank You for all your and your families work to better the breed!

Thanks Robin, LKF and John for your involvement in bettering the breed through your research. It seems to me that dwarfism has been on the decrease in the last few years. Whether that is due to better breeding management or people hiding their dwarfs, who knows. But thanks to the efforts you are doing towards finding a gene, this will only help breeders all over. :worshippy:

That was a great read. I am very interested in finding out if my horses have the dwarf gene and then on how to proceed in breeding from there.

THANK YOU, Robin, LKF, and John for being honest about the dwarf issue, and putting forth the great effort you have towards finding the gene. Corinne

What a breath of fresh air!!! Thank you for your openess and honesty. Your very educational post is extremely welcomed and your statement that more than likely 50% to 75% of minis carry the dwarf gene didn't shock me one bit. Being a "height" breed and back in the early days of the breed I can well understand how the breed got to be so small, it all makes perfect sense - by introducing some of these miniatures that had minimal dwarf characteristics or perhaps more pronounced ones but that also passed down their stature which is what the breed is all about - smaller than average height in an equine.

Thank you everyone for your support,

What I experienced early in my life with these horses gave me an opportunity to follow a passion not just with dwarf research but many other goals in genetic research that I would like to work on in my life, getting focused for something so unidirectional as this is work that takes a lot of concentration. So changing directions, to finish grad school six years after mostly completed, and gearing your head to do this is not easy let alone actually being successful in finding the gene or even a test. Remember genetic research takes many years and much more money than you might think, involving many researchers. So please understand what I have tried to do almost "on the side" of life and work, collecting data, lab work, financially, and grad school, pretty much by myself with help from my family and Gus Cothran. I am now in my mid thirties, I have been doing actual data and sample collecting and other research on dwarfs for over 15 years. But I digress.

Since I am co-chair of the genetics committee with Libby Rosen, we are working on a fund for research involving AMHA, but that is a separate fund controlled by AMHA to distribute to whom the genetics committee and board feel deserve it. This is not like research accounts that are already set up at UK and Texas A&M for specifically this and with no political control or influence from a registry, and all these are tax deductable of course as donations. I am waiting on Gus Cothran to email me the address to Texas A&M I will give the UK one as well at the same time. I am in the midst of finishing forms for my committee and the board of AMHA to approve to use for people to fill out to donate blood or whole samples to me as the genetics committee and the protocol to follow to be accurate in collecting for usable samples. This form will be through AMHA. It can be anonymous or you can give all name and pedigree info if you wish. It will not be used by the registry for anything else. Infact the samples will be sent directly to me at UK or to Gus, he will be at UK until April. This will be similar to how the DNA typing is done with the hair samples you send to UCDavis.

Some of you have concerns about using any horse that has produced a dwarf, my sister and others have said how detrimental it would be, yes it would be, probably devastating if it was a cull on all carriers, destroying AMHA, because I know other registries would probably be more open. IT would be most beneficial to all in the industry to identify carriers by a test (if one can be made) and have it noted on their papers similar to what is done in other horse breeds with other diseases.

Also Stacey your comments about "letting dead dogs lie" with past generations, yes they have to be for certain reasons, I will explain. One is, if the horse is in fact dead, then there is no way to say anything about its genetics for sure, so no one can say that a certain dead horse was definitely a carrier, unless there are pics of it and it WAS a dwarf. Second, is that it is imperative that dwarf samples that are used also have the parents blood used for gene inheritance studies. It will be immediately evident if someone sends in differnet parent DNA than the dwarf sample, the DNA markers wont match, so it will show up as an exclusion and show the sample as not a potential parent. Therefore, someone sending in DNA of a dwarfs parents and not sending the correct will show, so that takes care of the PQing problem you are concerned about. Also if, as you say, the second and third and so on generations of that dwarf cannot be PQd, because of our pedigree inadequacies, those are to be ignored as well in the search for tracing the gene through a pedigree, that is what geneticists do.

If I wanted to trace a gene from fifth generation back to a current horse I would need blood from all those actual individuals and all would prove out to be true or false due to markers passed on and compared other than the gene being studied. So just to let you know the only pedigree I would or
any lab would look at would be one that was extensive and accurate for a gene inheritance study over multiple generations.

For me to be able to find the dwarf gene or genes of interest, it is very helpful and efficacious if we have the dwarf blood and parents blood, beyond that if you know for fact your pedigree, and can get blood samples, then the more DNA the better. So please believe, NO geneticist or publisher will put their name to any study of a pedigree that is tracing the inheritance of a gene without having all the DNA match the actual horses to its offspring or its predecessors. This is how they found out Impressive had a spontaneous mutation in himself that was not in his parents, and the disease was able to be traced to him BECAUSE of the accuracy of the quarter horse pedigrees and DNA collected from those horses when registered and PQd. I was at UCDavis not long after they discovered the mutation and developed the test. It was quite an Impressive feat, no pun intented.

John

John

Thank you for your clarification - I am not in any way suggesting that we dont test, I am all for it - I just didn't want to broadbrush a pedigree that could not be verified -- just not fair.

That said, would it not also be just as important to collect the samples of full siblings to a dwarf to also see what genetic consistencies, and inconsistencies exist? I would think that this would help establish the possiblity of the gene faster than a "jumble of information" (forgive my lack of precise terminology here).

Your thoughts?

Stac

Thank you so very much Robin!

John & Robin - thank you for your work and interest - and honesty - in trying to improve the breed. If only all breeders were as helpful and dedicated.

I think the past - even if unable to be scientifically proven - can be a valuable refernce point ... if pictures can provide some clues. People will say - well, where did that come from? - and in some cases, they can actually see it and get an understanding of what was involved. I am also in the 50% - 75% range of minis that carry the gene - IMHO. Let's split the difference and say - 60%. I am also not in favour of a cull - too many refined, excellent horses who have contributed much to the breed would be swept aside. IDing the carriers and having them noted as such... would not be a black mark against them IMHO. One would simply know that the potential was there and be able to avoid taking that risk by not breeding two carriers.

And in the end, we all win... the horses - and those who care for them.

Is there any way to piggyback on the Friesian study and help each other out?

Thank you Robin and John for this frank and open discussion. It really is wonderful that your whole family can so generously share this information with everyone here. I do look forward to hearing more from the Genetics Committee on this topic (crossing my fingers I'll be able to make it to Florida!).

I hope you both will continue to post updates about this topic here, and let all of us know what we can do to help support and promote your efforts.

If I wanted to trace a gene from fifth generation back to a current horse I would need blood from all those actual individuals and all would prove out to be true or false due to markers passed on and compared other than the gene being studied. So just to let you know the only pedigree I would or any lab would look at would be one that was extensive and accurate for a gene inheritance study over multiple generations.

For me to be able to find the dwarf gene or genes of interest, it is very helpful and efficacious if we have the dwarf blood and parents blood, beyond that if you know for fact your pedigree, and can get blood samples, then the more DNA the better. So please believe, NO geneticist or publisher will put their name to any study of a pedigree that is tracing the inheritance of a gene without having all the DNA match the actual horses to its offspring or its predecessors. This is how they found out Impressive had a spontaneous mutation in himself that was not in his parents, and the disease was able to be traced to him BECAUSE of the accuracy of the quarter horse pedigrees and DNA collected from those horses when registered and PQd. I was at UCDavis not long after they discovered the mutation and developed the test. It was quite an Impressive feat, no pun intented.

John
Thank you John for your efforts in the miniature horse dwarf gene quest. Would it be safe to say from the above quote that it would be prudent for owners of aging known dwarf producers who have progeny access to collect blood samples? Are you equipped to take in those samples or could these samples be stored safely somewhere if they were collected now? What can we do to help in this effort as far as record keeping?

What record keeping advice do you have for us that will help in your future research? Would just applying the AMHA checklist for dwarves to each of our horses and keeping a record be helpful? Surely there is a way for all of us to start "doing our part" in this research. Please know that what you are doing is of the utmost importance to the majority of miniature horse breeders and I applaud you.

again, I must say thank you. I would love to be involved in some sort of way. I have a friend with some dwarves, and their lives are just so sad. Even in good health, and excellent care, they are very hard to look at. And that is the reality of our horses, dwarfism.

I wonder if you have pictures of dwarf foals (aborted Fetus) as they develop. I think that would also be helpful to all of us if we have an aborted fetus, to identify if it does or does not have dwarfism characteristics. I have a long background in veterinary medicine as a technician, and I think I might be able to tell, but others may not be able to see the difference.

It is just a thought...

John:

I am located in Georgetown KY -- I have 2 dwarves that I purchased -- and do not have either sets of parents for these dwarves -- HOWEVER --- I have the pedigree for one -- and could find out the pedigree for the other (with a bit of time and research). I do NOT have access to any of the parents for blood samples.

Would you want any samples/pedigrees from these 2 dwarves for your research?

The dwarves are 6 and 7 years old and they are the bosses of my farm! They are quite healthy and happy!

you can email me at [email protected]

I can haul them to UK or wherever for your benefit -- or simply pull blood.

We did participate in a study done a couple of years ago -- I sent in blood and photos of the dwarves.

Here is a link to an old website/page (AOL has not deleted it yet) with photos of the dwarves

Meg and Clove - my dwarves

and a 2nd page showing their angular limb deformities:

angular limb deformities in my dwarves

Judith Jay

Latest posts

Back