Morbid thought but.........................

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
If you should die, how have you provided for your animals.

[SIZE=14pt]I have in my will first thru third choice of who is to get them.Each one not as a lot.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My daughter and sister will take my minis and dogs and give them good homes or find them good homes. we all work together with our horses so we all care for eachothers' as our own. jennifer

All mine have a trust fund in my life insurance. My kids know this and are not expecting an inheritance except disposition of my home, vehicles, jewelry and other belongings.

They will live out their days in high style for sure--better than I live right now
wink.gif
. My cousin will take them all to her place in Moses Lake for the remainder of their days. My daughter's welsh mare lives there toothless, content and retired today and will soon be 30 years old.

If I die, being the age I am, my mom and dad get them, if my parents and I by chance died at the same time (car crash or something) my old dressage trainer gets Molly and Image.

Interesting and timely topic...

My mother passed away July 20th this year. In her will she indicated all the horses in her possesion at the time of her passing are to be given to me. She also placed aside monies towards transfers of registration papers, monies for registering any foals, monies for her stallion choice and mare care for next year (2006). Other than that she left it to my "inheritance $$ to pay for feed, farrier, vets for as long as I owned the horses or they lived.

So ... she left enough $$ to take care of getting the mare (her only horse) and her 2005 foal registered into my name (included the DNA cost too!), the stud fee for her choice of stallion next year and the mare care. After that it is up to me to pay any costs involved. Of course, she did have a little time to prepare as per her wishes regarding her stallion choice (my choice too BTW).

So I guess it depends not only WHO gets the horse, but if you have funds do you want to allocate some. In my mother's case the stud fee is $ 4000 USD, the DNA $ 75, transfer of mare and 05 foal $ 80, mare care for 2006 $ 200. So she designated out of her monies $4,355.00. To it was well thought out, due to the fact who KNOWS next year what circumstances might be that I might not be able to pay for her final wishes out of MY own pocket, she very kindly and thoughtfully took the stress away. It is her final wish AND GIFT to me in her passing. It was also the fact she had the $$ to get it put into a trust. To get at the $$ I must produce the necessary paperwork (not that she didn't trust me but her lawyer didn't want ANY loopholes to come back to bite anyone..cool guy..my hubby LOL)

It has to be mentioned that the people "receiving" the horses be prepared...can they financially look after your horses. Are they capable of providing the same or better level of care you did? I know, it seems silly, it;s like designating a guardian for your children, but in my mother's life, her mare and foal where like her "other" kids.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Kim

rolleyes.gif
I'm thinking of leaving mine all to Whitney. I KNOW how she takes care of her horses, and I know she can dig ditches, etc., so I figure if she can't find suitable homes for them she might just "build on" and keep them for me
wink.gif

Seriously, this is a matter I have thought about, and so far haven't done anything about it. I think this thread will get me going.

Back