Mole Population minus one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
So normal morning I head out to feed everyone. Step thru the gate leading into Bubba Dogs area and laying right there in front of me is the largest, fattest mole I have ever seen. Flat on it's back at first I mistook it for a huge rat.

But it has no tail and extremely long toe nails. Obviously it was stupid enough to come up out of the ground if even for a very short moment. Nothing like this lives long when it enters Bubbas area. I have found countless ground squirrels, a huge male raccoon and now a very fat and used to be happy mole. I'm hoping this is the culprit who has been building extremely large mole hills in my yard. More like mole mountains than hills.

I believe they moved over here this year once they started digging across the road to start the new housing project.

For years I didn't have a mole problem. I attributed this fact to to the horses running and pounding the ground. This year the moles just don't seem to care if the horses are running.

We had one one time that was huge, too. I don't know if it was a mole or what but I think it was -- just like a mammoth mole. It was maybe 8" long and fat as anything. I got a REAL good look at it. Winston, my shih-tzu golden child son, carried it into the house without us knowing. One of the big dogs surely killed it, but he found it and what a treasure it was to him. He was laying with it on the rug by my side of the bed all happy. I went "gimme that" thinking I was going to play with him and one of his stuffed animals. OMG!!! I started screaming like a nut!!! I was in total panic and thought H had already left to go to the feed store. Thank God he heard me screaming and came and got rid of Winston's treasure.

My cats bring home lots of things, sometimes big things but I have never seen a mole that size. How big was the one you found Shortpig? ick!

This thing I saw (Winston swears it was a bear and that he killed it) was soooooo fat and laying dead on its back on my bedside rug... It had s stub tail. It looked just like the moles I'd seen cats with over the years only 20x bigger. This thing seemed like nearly the size of a guinnea pig.

I came out one day to find three moles lying dead on our parking area, their glossy black pelts shining in the sun. Our great rodent killer cat, Santana, had had a field day.

These little guys had made mole mountains all over the lawn/meadow, but fortunately none in the dry lots, but I haven't seen any fresh dirt lately.

We have tons of moles and gophers. Sigh.....and yes...they are really big. Gophers have taken to eating my carrots under ground..and almost like a cartoon..you pull up on the top..and nothing but chewed nubbins around the crown.

Moles because they love earth worms.

Bot cause holes big enough for mini's to break a leg in. Have been baiting ours.. no choice..just to many off them. We have them down to a dull roar.....

Wish we could let our cats out....but until someone traps that Bobcat.....they are house only cats.

Oh my, I didn't know they came that large :DOH! . I am going to have to try and find a picture of one of those balck ones, the ones the cats bring home here are gray.

I never knew they could be that large either. "Winston's" was pretty repulsive. And he was VERY angry we took something that awesome away from him.

They might not be moles, they may be voles. They can be rather large.

Voles

I thought I had moles this year with tunnels all over my yard. Then they starting killing my young lilacs, rose, sunflower and lilies. They were eating the roots off or coming above ground and biting the stem in half. Needless to say I was not happy. The only way I have found to kill then is with mouse traps where they come out of the holes. I will not use poison since I do not want my dog or cat to get one that has eaten poison.

I have gotten at least 5 voles and two mice this week in a small area next to the house.

So after looking at pics on line of moles, voles and gophers it was not a mole, it was not a vole and it does look alot like a gopher. It is probably 8" long and very fat. Gray in color not the pretty soft black like a mole.

What ever it is it should not have played with Bubba. So far Bubba is proud of his conquest but won't let me have it.

He's like that wants to keep it around and show it off for awhile.

Yuck!

We don't have moles, or voles, as far as I know........perhaps because our ground is fairly rocky. Instead, we have Rock Chucks, which are a type of marmot.

We also have two Rock Chuck hunters! The things are too big for our cats, but two of our dogs go after them and occasionally are victorious!
default_laugh.png

So this morning I go out and laying right next to the carcus of the gopher is now a very large rat. Bubba was so proud.

He seems to be doing alot of hunting at night now. I know he doesn't get all of them so that makes me wonder how many more there are out there. YUCKO!

I think Bubba would say he knows you love and enjoyed the gifts because he leaves them for you and next thing he knows, their gone (and you ate 'em)
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I think Bubba would say he knows you love and enjoyed the gifts because he leaves them for you and next thing he knows, their gone (and you ate 'em)
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

[SIZE=36pt]YUCKY [/SIZE]
default_smileypuke.gif

There we go now I feel like Shrek, look Rat under glass and Gopher barbeque. He can stop trying to feed me now unless he can catch a really nice lean cow or maybe a good fresh clean cat fish

Latest posts

Back