Modular Barns For Miniature Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Hey again!

Okay so I got to thinking about modular barns - since my fiance is in the Navy and we will be moving every few years, it doesn't make sense to build a new barn time after time, so I am looking to invest in purchasing a modular one but I do have some questions....

1. how easy are they to take down, move and put back up?
  2. what should I look for as far as design goes to make moving easier
  3. would you just buy the "shell" of the barn and then assemble stalls inside or would you get stalls from them?
  4. would you buy a barn with room to grow (space for more horses than you already have) or would you just get what you need as of right now?
  5. what are some do's and dont's about modular barns?
  6. if you don't buy stalls from the modular barn company, what kind of stall setup (that is super easy to take down and move when needed) would you suggest?

Thanks for the input and if anyone has a modular barn - feel free to post pics of inside and out!

EDITED TO ADD:

If you know of another idea that would work well with a Navy lifestyle, please let me know! We prefer to not have to do boarding as with multiple horses that will get very expensive. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a modular barn,but I'd like to share a few of my thoughts.Since you will be moving every few years you will probably be renting a place .In some areas it may be difficult to rent a place that allows horses.It may also be difficult to find a property owner willing to permit you to construct a building on their land and later remove it.In some cases the owner of the property would be required to get the building permit.Their tax assessment would probably increase due to your building.In the long run boarding may be less expensive that building a barn until you are settled in a place of your own.Moving is always costly and it will not be cheap to move a barn.My vote would be to board now or find a place to rent that now has facilities to accomodate your horses and look at where you would like to live when you are finished with the Navy life.

What about one or two ten by ten or twelve by twelve portable outdoor stalls with the slanted roof line that can be put on? they come in panels and can be disassembled.

I haven't researched other areas, but in our county in Oregon, no building permit is needed for either a non-permanent structure or a permanent structure smaller than 200 sq. ft.

In addition to Carolyn's suggestion, you might consider some of the portable garages. Just beware that what might be suitable in some parts of the country may not work in others, due to winds, snowloads, ventilation, etc.

Boarding costs for the next 15 to 20 years is not feasible even at a very very low cost of $100 per horse per month so not an option. He knows he's doing a minimum 15 yrs in the sub fleet so this is something I'm going to have to look into.

We know we would be in one place for at least 4 years at a time so we were going to purchase or lease a track of land to have as our own and sell when we move as we will be living on base. That's why we need something portable to take from place to place. It is entirely possible that we could end up staying in groton ct his whole career so it needs to be something I will like for a while too.

Wish boarding was an option but its not for 1 qh and 4 minis. We were also thinking of renting a pasture and setting up our portable stalls/barn on the property?

But does anyone know of horse stalls that are portable and good? As in what companies?

I have one (few) we made here.

1st one is a 8x16

and the other 2 are 6x8

made to be moved by flatbed tow wrecker. Ive moved them several times and if made correctly, will make it without damage or mim damage.

Well, you are in the Carolinas, I am not sure about that area, but here in PA there are many many Amish that build them, I am sure that is the case in Indiana and possibly Ohio as well where there are large Amish communities. The only reason I suggest the Amish is they tend to make the stall fronts, freestanding and outdoor stalls in this area. It is pointless to go through a middle man, that only increases the price. I don't know If you have had a horse expo near you, but that is a wonderful place to start. Many smaller stall manufacturers within an hour or two radius will have stands at these functions.

I went to the pa expo, collected info, compared, and am having sliding doors and track as well as custom sized single piece welded grids made. Do not purchase cheap kits that have counter sunk bars that go into a track, heavy bars welded solid to a frame to make one solid piece are much safer. (trust me, just read my topic on the back porch). They should be finished in the next week or so, can't wait! I can point you to places in pa, but don't have a clue who to go to in the south.

Back