MODERN vs. CLASSIC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my lost post on this i swear LOL

Minibre

you and i both know that a good majority of the AMHR B division is a result of breeding AMHA to AMHA. I believe you even happen to own one last time we talked
smile.gif
Happens ALL the time. My point being that just because a horse is amhr divison B doesnt at all mean it has more shetland blood

Kay

Hi Andi,

The type of horse to which I was referring was what some consider to be a "classic" miniature as opposed to a "modern" miniature....isn't that the title of this thread? It was about type, ...not height, registry, or pedigree ... although some of that DOES tend to come into play when discussing origins of type, and how to get it.

My point is that the "modern" type miniature originates from those selected shetland bloodlines which have now been developed into superior individuals.

Just look around.....I am stallion shopping lately so I have seen PLENTY stallions advertised for sale that are very prime examples of a "classic" or old style miniature. They are quite abundant! And its not the type that I desire to own.

Me here (get out the fire extinguisher LOL)..

A driving, moving kinda fool horses are what I want. Couldn't care less if they were part moose, as long as they had a LONG neck that ties high, a hinge at the poll, sloping shoulder, dippy back, let down hocks. That said, the horse HAS to have length of leg, hence the larger version of a mini is my personal choice. I also want LOTS of animation and talent, sooo, I look for something that HAS shetland, preferably a shot of hackney in it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

BUT,....that is my personal preference, whether it is a ring winner or not, that's what I want to sit behind at a show. I'm NOT there to convince everyone that my type of mini is the winner, I'm just there like I am in my right mind. Soooo...if the little beastie is 37.75 and half shetland, one half hackney or one half arab or one half Saddlebred I think I've died and gone heaven LOLOLOL.

Kim

stormy said:
OK so the first people responding to my post about the infusion of mini ponies thanks, you guys make a good arguement.  I still am not sure though why the shetland registry did not just add a height division for those that love the mini pony, the mini horse and mini pony are differant or this discussion would never have begun. 
454287[/snapback]

Okay, how about this--I have here on my desk a brochure from the American Shetland Pony Club. There is no date on it, but I'm thinking it's one I got, oh, in the late 70's, maybe the very early '80s? I came across it one day when cleaning out a bunch of old papers & such, and for some reason I kept it. To help some of the old timers here "date" this--it refers to "The American Shetland Pony Journal" as the official breed publication. A subscription was $6 per year. The registry office was located in Fowler Indiana.

In the very bottom corner is a little blurb on Miniatures. It says, & I quote:

The ASPC opened a registry for miniature ponies in 1972. Called the American Miniature Horse registry, the stud book records only those animals that measure 34 inches or less at maturity.....

There is more, but it just goes on about temporary & permanent papers and I won't write it here.

So you see, miniature ponies and miniature horses.....ARE ONE AND THE SAME THING!!

I love reading posts like this one, as long as its not mean and just a debate. Its like the Republican vs Democrat. Great reading, great points from all. So here is my question if a miniature is a shetland, then why arent they registered shetlands and they have division in the shetland registery??? Makes sense to me less confusing less money.

Thinking about the original question...I agree that additional divisions would make things all too confusing. That said, I really enjoy the different "types" of miniature horses. While my personal choice is for the taller, leggy, refined (even if they are longer-nosed, LOL) minis, I also love beautiful examples of the stockier "draft" types. I hate to see any type dismissed as outdated or out-of-favor, and would hate to see them disappear from the breed.

What I look for in any horse of any size is over-all beauty, balance and proportion. I've seen many examples of stocky minis who are beautifully proportioned and pleasing to the eye (they make me want to pinch their little butts), just as I've seen some refined ones that just don't cut it. Beauty comes in many forms.

I do think that the "small at all costs" attitude and the breeding of dwarves back in the early years set the breed back, but responsible breeding has brought even the tinies a very long way from that point.

Plain and simple, a beautiful horse is a beautiful horse.

Latest posts

Back