Model stallion, mare... What is this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
Ok so I seen this on an AMHR show bill. What does it mean when it says model? This may be a silly question but I have no idea what it means.

Thanks,

Alisha

Model is a halter class but is judged NOT on the movement of the horses, so horses are set up and then judged (more like a "model horse") instead of as in regular halter classes where the horses are walked up to the judges then trotted away, being scrutinized for the way they move.
default_smile.png
Does that make sense?

Model is based fully on comformation. The horses do not trot/walk for the judge. Take your horse in ...set he/she up and the judge looks over. Based fully on conformation and looks, that is why its called "model".

default_smile.png

I think of model as a breeding class. They judge the horses based on their conformation and how well the are proportioned to represent the breed. Its quite different as I've won model classes and placed lower in age classes.

I think of model as a breeding class. They judge the horses based on their conformation and how well the are proportioned to represent the breed. Its quite different as I've won model classes and placed lower in age classes.

I've had this same experience in model class. I don't know for sure, but I suspect if you have a tiny one that you show and they are well proportioned for how tiny they are, they tend to do better in model than they do in regular open class. Our stallion Corona is undefeated two years running in model (showing against 34" horses) but he placed as low as 2nd during the year in the 30" and under class. He doesn't have knock-your-socks-off movement, but is pretty darn well conformed. Our trainer talked us out of showing in Model at Nationals and I still regret it.

Just remember that model classes do not count toward the champion classes. If you place first there you do not go in the ring for the championship class. When we first got into showing we did not know this and could not understand why we were not listed to go into the champion class.
default_rolleyes.gif
A close friend had to explain.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back