Model (not live, statues) Horse Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacki

Reaction score
I was intrigued to learn that there are shows for Model Horses, the collectible type not the live type. Anyone on here participate in this? Any clubs around who have partnerships with these folks? Would they lend themselves to a partnership of some type.

Feel free to email me directly as I'd like to learn about this and see if there are any opportunities for partnerships among a miniature horse club and a model horse club.

Thanks

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]

I've heard of "breyer model" shows, but never of any specific "club" for it. Definitely something interesting.

The 4-H club that my grandson belongs to is having a tack swap this Sunday, and also a model horse show. The models must be out of the box and in good condition, and named, it is an all breed show, not just mini's. If I can find the class list I'll scan it in.

I've been collecting for *cough* 40 years and showing for 30. It's a fun hobby, as expensive as you want to make it. You can buy a Breyer model for about $40 at a toy store, or go to BreyerFest and easily drop $4000 on a model. One year, a one of a kind model went for $13,000. Thirteen THOUSAND dollars. Yup.

There are many shows in the Texas/Okla area every year. Most aren't affiliated with a "club", but put on by individuals.

Best place to learn is www.NAMHSA.org, this is the governing body of the model showers. North American Model Horse Showers Association. Pretty much all shows are run by the NAMSHA rules, as you qualify for the North American Nationals, the big "National" model horse show held every year.

To do a model show right, though, is not easy. You kinda do need a hobbiest who knows what they are doing. There are many rules, written and unwritten about showing. Judges are hard to find, most people want to show. Most of the time it's a volunteer position, no pay involved. Maybe a free lunch. Your judges absolutely MUST know horses- ALL breeds- pretty well. It's not a beauty contest, models ARE judged on conformation in the breed divisions. In the collectabilty division, your judges must know model horses extremely well, as it's judged on rarity, finish, condition. (This is my favorite division- I do VERY well here!
default_whistling.gif
) Some shows don't have a collectabilty division, as you need a second set of judges for the breed division.

That said, there are several shows that I know of that do run concurrently with "real" horse shows, I was just at one a few weeks ago. There's one in March down at Will Rogers in FTW that runs with the Horse-a Rama.

If you have any questions, email me!

I can't find my class list, but I can give you our link, scroll half way down the page and click on the link for the model horse show. It will give you a basic idea of what the judge is looking for.

www.mw4hclub.com

Hi I would like to know more about model horse collecting and showing. My brother is trying to sell his wife's collection of breyer horses. They have hand painted ones and a bunch of custom horses with signatures and some regular breyers and some old ones too and some Marx and other types. Anybody know how I would go about finding out value and where to advertise or sell? My brothers wife is disabled and has brain injury and I have been helping him sell some of her horse items to help offset his expenses of her care. Very sad indeed. He showed me boxes and boxes of these gorgeous model horses this past weekend. He also has custom mini breyers too. I saw this thread and hope someone reading this can maybe help me help my brother. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I would like to know more about model horse collecting and showing. My brother is trying to sell his wife's collection of breyer horses. They have hand painted ones and a bunch of custom horses with signatures and some regular breyers and some old ones too and some Marx and other types. Anybody know how I would go about finding out value and where to advertise or sell? My brothers wife is disabled and has brain injury and I have been helping him sell some of her horse items to help offset his expenses of her care. Very sad indeed. He showed me boxes and boxes of these gorgeous model horses this past weekend. He also has custom mini breyers too. I saw this thread and hope someone reading this can maybe help me help my brother. Thanks.
The best place to sell is the Model Horse sales Pages.

http://www.modelhorsesalespages.com/

Oh man! How many Live Shows have I attended? I couldn't even say!! So many good times in the model horse hobby! We even have a championship show or NAN (North American Nationals) that I was lucky enough to attend once. (It's an expensive hobby if you want to be competitive, but its so much fun.) Check out these links for information on model horses. I have models painted to look like my real horses, and since one has passed, it is even more precious to me. Just be warned.... a model horse can cost more than a *real live* horse and you can spend more on a traditional sized saddle set than you can on your OWN saddle for your real horse! Not trying to scare anyone out of the hobby. I actually got a Top 10 at NAN with a stablemate I popped right out of the package.
default_smile.png
Come to the darkside... :D

http://www.namhsa.org/ (North American Model Horse Show Association)

http://www.modelhorsegallery.info/index.html (Model Horse Gallery)

http://www.stonehorses.com/what-is-a-model-horse-show.html (Stone Horses - What is a Live Model Horse Show?)

Wow I had no idea. Much to learn..much to catalog and photograph. My sister in law has horses that make me drool. She has one painted for every Morgan horse she ever owned in addition to some with real manes added and fancy paintings. She was an avid collector and I know she paid a bundle for some of them. I will check out the links..thanks for including ..I have much to learn. Thanks

I have about 250 breyers...over a dozen porcelian ones. I used to display them, all of them....what a nightmare to dust them. I packed them away safely about 4 years ago, except one porcelian one that sits on my computer desk. I haven't bought one since. When I was into them I thought I remember seeing online photo shows. I need to sell mine...I was thinking ebay, but I'll try the link posted above....where do I start...ughh!

Evidently my sister in law was buying show models because I called my brother last night and he found receipts for some high dollar models and some blue ribbons in the boxes. Very interesting. Who would think you could show model horses. Learn something new every day.

Lennie Bertrand is selling his collection. He wants to concentrate on his petting zoo and pony rides. Over 800 models of all types. Would love to see his colection.

Me again. I am sorting through hundreds of model horses from my sister in laws collection and using links provided on this string to try to identify them . It will take forever I think to go through all this stuff... I keep drooling over all the models. Lol. Anyway.. for my question... there is tack for the models.. driving harnesses..there is a cart.. driving harnesses..saddles.. specific types of saddles. English and western. and bridles. I had no idea.. the detail in the tack is unbelievable.. anybody out there know where I can research the tack? Also there are rider dolls too. Looks like she bought everything. Some of the horses have added shoes and real hair manes added. I also found little shoes in a bag where you could do your own custom work. I even found a bridle with a tiny pelham bit and double reins... I had no idea..discovering a whole world of model horses in her collection. Whew

Most tack and dolls are hand produced by individuals and not commercially made. Some can be worth more than the models themselves!

Your best bet is to find a local collector/shower to help you sort.

http://www.modelhorsesalespages.com/

You can sign up for free or if you want to add pictures it's like $6 a year for up to 50 ads.

Latest posts

Back