Missy's Foaling Thread --> UPDATE ---> WARNING ABOUT BROWN/BLOOD RED MUCOUS PLUGS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I am so sorry to hear this Katie!! When you feel like it, would love to know what happened but no pressure you poor thing!!!

Praying that your gorgeous missy recovers quickly n fully Katie!!

Hugs to you my friend!

Thinking of you and your girl
default_sad.png

I am so sorry that you lost the foal after trying so hard!! Hope that Missy recovers fully and quickly.

INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TODAY:

Basic rundown of what happened. . . .

Basically she had placentitis to the point where it had made the foal in distress for several days and became VERY sick, to the point the infection was running rampid through her body. The warning sign of this? BLOODY/DARK BROWN LOOKING MUCUS PLUG!!!! PLEASE, ANYONE WHO SEES THIS CALL YOUR VET OUT IMMEDIATELY AS THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING CONDITION, AND I DID NOT KNOW THIS WAS A WARNING SIGN ......MUCOUS PLUGS SHOULD BE A FLESHY PINK/PURPLE COLOR!!!

He said if I had called him when I first saw it, my filly would have had a fighting chance. She was in position and delivery went pretty smoothly other than the red bag ((which I was worried about because she had a history of having one back in 2010 with her other filly)) just like a normal foaling. The filly lived for about 10 minutes but the infection had spread through her so badly that she was extremely lethargic with no suckle reflex and no desire to get up and active. The cord was also twisted very badly which on top of the infection he presumes is why I was seeing such violent foal movement.

Unfortunately the filly is just what I "ordered" - a beautiful bay pinto blue eyed filly, I named her "Perfection" and she is buried beside her full sister from the red bag birth of 2010, whom I named "Rayne" and her half-sister who I lost because of my ex-husbands cruelty (long story), whom I named "Innocence" . I held her until she passed while Missy was being an excellent mother and was licking and trying to urge her to become active. Missy isn't handling it well, she's still calling for her even though she had 6 hours to be with her and mourn. It's heart wrenching on both of us. Only in the last two hours as she moved on, and is actually teasing my stallion - the sire of all three of her foals - and wanting to be with him.

Missy is on antibiotics right now and she will be flushed tomorrow morning, and he expects a full recovery - she's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and doing all her normal things. I hope someone can learn from my experience and gain the knowledge to protect their own mare. The vet came back out about an hour ago to talk and check Missy and he really wants me to continue my breeding program - even with Missy. He said the red bag was probably a fluke from inducing and he was partially expecting it, which is why he didn't leave - he said it was probably not her fault. He's urged me to "get back on the horse", along with my fiance. Infact, my fiance and father direct deposited some cash in my bank account to buy a pregnant mare......I'm heavily considering it, although I would be having her reside on my vet's farm and having him foal her out for me, which he's kindly offered free of charge.

Emotions ran through me so hard and I wanted to quit, but after thinking heavily on it, it's what we do as breeders. You see what you're made of and if it's truely your passion you don't give up, and I don't plan on giving up.

Missy's breeding fate is undetermined right now, but I will pick up the pieces and move on. It's times like these you see your vet's and family's quality - they know how hard I've worked, and others have worked, to build a breeding program and then turn around to lose something very dear to them.

All I can say is rest in peace Perfection and I'm comforted knowing that you aren't alone - you are in Heaven without pain enjoying the grassy fields with your sisters, Rayne and Innocence. I'll see you again one day in a better place and a better time, and you're always in my heart.

My main concern now is getting the word out about how dangerous placentitis can be - I think it's highly misunderstood and taken too lightly and the warning signs are not as prevelant in these late term mares. If it saves just one foal, then Perfection's passing has been a blessing to the horse community.

I also want to note, that the vet had told me, had I waited any longer and not trusted my gut feelings, that I could have lost Missy as well due to spreading of infection and it getting in her blood stream, or the foal dying in utero and having to do a c-section or cut the foal out and having a much more traumadic ending.

God's blessings are in disguise, and time heals all pain. She just motivates me to be a better breeder, gain more knowledge, and now - I'm on a mission to spread the word about placentitis.

Thank you so much for sharing fhat information with all of us. It is unfortunate, but you did the right thing by letting others learn from your experiences. Thank you so much and again, so sorry for the loss of perfection, which i love that name choice. Prayers for your healing heart and Missy's healing and mourning. It is so hard on everyone

Thank you so much for sharing your tragic experience with us Katie. I'm so sorry that you lost little Perfection, but glad that Missy is healing and will be alright in time.

Diane, as usual, says it so well. We have all been in 'bad' places as breeders of these beautiful little horses, so we do understand a little of what you are feeling. But time heals, even if we never forget, and I wish you all the very best for your future programme, whatever you decide it will be.

((((HUGS)))) for you and Missy.

So very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience. This is what helps us all to learn. Bless you and my prayers are with little MIssy. I hope and pray she has a full recovery.

Thank you Katie for sharing all this information with us at this rough time for you

and Thank you Diane for reposting the picture so its easy for us all to learn a warning sign

To follow up on Diane's excellent post to help us all learn: I wonder if anyone else (as I did) saw that photo on May 12 and just had this nagging feeling that it didn't look right, but really didn't have enough experience to feel qualified to comment? So in retrospect, I feel some guilt that I said nothing. As a cancer survivor, whose cancer was diagnosed because of just such a nagging feeling that a spot of blood wasn't "quite right", I know now I SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING, even if only to ask a question or share my own experience.

Of course, there is also no way to know now if speaking up, or calling the vet on May 12, would have changed the ultimate sad outcome. It may have already been too late. But at least by sharing this photo, we will all know that this is a red flag to get help for the mare. Again, so sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing so the rest of us can learn.

Thank you all for your replies - it comforts me to know I have a forum family to turn to and can openly discuss things with. I would like to comfort you all by letting you know that Missy was flushed this morning and all was well with her. She's back to her fiesty and playful self and I am so very happy that she is doing so well. You can ALWAYS breed and try again but you CAN'T get your mare back once the damage has been done.

Targetsmom - It is in NO WAY anyone's fault here on the forum, and no blame is being laid down on anyones shoulders - we all just simply didn't know about this being a sign of something going terribly wrong. Unfortunately, Missy had no other symptoms to warn me about her condition and you are right, May 12th was probably too late to do anything about at that point, just as it was yesterday.

I'm just happy that while I did lose my filly, MANY MORE foals can be SAVED if people learn to recognize this as a warning sign of something going wrong. It is similar to those who, like you, have had cancer in the past who aided in building a better understanding of the disease. A few must be lost to save hundreds in the future. Atleast now I can say that something good came out of that situation.

I came across this thread by accident and just wanted to say thank you for the heads up, and I am so sorry for your loss! I learned so much tonight, now I can review this and read again, I know I missed some posts. I also have somethiing else to look into just to be aware of. Thank you again for helping others while suffering such tragedy.

Latest posts

Back