Missy's Foaling Thread --> UPDATE ---> WARNING ABOUT BROWN/BLOOD RED MUCOUS PLUGS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I decided after being persuaded by some friends to come start a thread over here to talk about all things "Missy"
default_frusty.gif

To give some background information on her....I'll give yall this:

"Dillard's HHH Close Enough to Perfect"

2005 Mare - AMHR - 31" - Golden Palomino Tobiano (+splash?) with one blue eye

Back in 2010 she gave me a sorrel tobiano (+splash?) filly with two blue eyes, sadly we lost her due to red bag and couldn't get her out in time. Very lovely leggy filly with lots of color on her but she wasn't meant to be. She gave no signs of impending birth with this pregnancy. This filly was born approximately 9AM.

In 2011 she gave me a sorrel minimal tobiano colt whose birth was unattended, again very little signal of impending birth, however everything went fine and we had a bouncing colt in the stall by the time we got home. We assume he was born around 2PM. We also decided that with this foaling we WOULD be using some type of Mare Milk Test strips on her.

This mare never gets a huge udder, doesn't tend to drop into a dramatic V shape but does V out somewhat and still eats and poops just fine. I am watching her like a hawk and hoping that these test strips will catch her in the act of things. I test her 3 times per day with Foal Time strips and I am determined to be there for this foal.

I have included pictures of her so far, the below ones are from April 17th, 2012 and I will be getting new ones for you all tonight!

PS: I am praying for a LOUD pinto blue eyed filly. . . .any help sending the filly fairy this way would be appreciated!
default_thumbup.gif

missy3_04172012.jpg

missy2_04172012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the maternity ward! We all love it here, and really like pictures! Hope you get what you "ordered" lol. Momma is a pretty girl!

Welcome, from SW Missouri! Your mare is lovely and I hope that this year you can be there for the birth of her 'colored filly!' One of my mares already snuck her filly in without us being there! I must say that I'm hoping the Filly Fairy will stop by here on her way to SC! LOL

Hey there!

Just did my nighttime feeding and check-up on Missy and took a few pictures. I also included a few pictures of her below that were taken APRIL 27 just so you can see some changes in her.

I tested her milk tonight and while it was still slightly sticky, her bag a bit more full and nipples are full and easy to express - she's still testing about 7.2ph

Tonight she is showing:

• cow pie poops in her stall
  • foal seems to have moved into position but I would like you guys to confirm with the pictures....
  • nipples still full and udder a bit more full (sorry couldn't get a picture tonight didn't have enough light to get a good pic)

She's still eating and drinking normally and doesn't seem to be changing mood wise so I guess I still have a bit to go yet. I wish she would get on the ball about this - I was ready for her to foal back in March!

***PLEASE NOTE ---> The FIRST THREE pictures are of her from APRIL 27TH and the SECOND TWO pictures are from tonight MAY 2ND and the LAST TWO pictures are of Missy in pre-pregnancy condition and of the foals sire, Sampson who is a bay minimal tobiano.

missy_04272012.jpg

missy_04272012_2.jpg

missy_04272012_.jpg

missy_05022012.jpg

missy_05022012_.jpg

smitten_dam.jpg

P1130195.jpg

default_saludando.gif
Hello and Welcome to the Nutty Nursery,
default_smile.png
I am so glad you decided to come on over
default_yes.gif

Missy is looking great and definitely moving in the right direction, I can't wait to see a new udder pic.
default_smile.png

Well she looks about the same tonight except she is very loose in her hind and easy to lift up her tail. She seems to be testing about a heavy 7.0ish and she actually bit me tonight while getting a milk sample......she's never done that before in her whole life!

I took and dimmed the lights in the barn a lot in hopes she will like it darker and get the move on.

Still being a pig and eating to her hearts content. Sigh......

Oh and the foal doesn't look to be in position tonight, she's wide but very low from behind and seems to be hollow and sunken in around her hips?

Okay I have been watching Missy ALL DAY LONG and to top it off.....apparently I've caught a nasty cold that has completely ridden me of any energy I have - I think she senses my illness too. . .as we have some progress! This morning she was testing about a 7.0 but around 1pm-ish and about 30 minutes ago - her pH has dropped to 6.8pH exactly. Maybe this weekends extremely strong "super moon" will get this ball rolling.

She is very squishy around her tailhead and her tail is a cinch to lift up. Her udder was about doubled the size it was from the last udder pic I showed you. Keep in mind though - with BOTH pregnancies, she doesn't get a true "foaling udder" until after she has foaled - she's also not one to wax or get thick sticky colostrum and white milk until immediately after foaling.

In an effort to "get things moving" I played alpha mare with her, my yearling colt and my other mare and we did some walking/trotting/cantering around the 1.5 acre paddock this morning. She had no complaints - wasn't eager to run but didn't mind it either. My yearling colt on the other hand thought he had to practice for the Kentucky Derby
default_xreiter.gif

IN THIS POST IS MISSY'S PICTURE FROM THIS MORNING RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF TURNOUT

(sorry couldn't get udder pics she wasn't cooperating)

missy_05042012AM3.jpg

Here are Missy's pictures from this evening.....with these pictures and her pH dropping to 6.8......should I have an eagle's eye on her tonight? How fast can that pH drop?

missy_05042012PM2.jpg

missy_05042012PM4.jpg

missy_05042012AM.jpg

missy_05042012PM3.jpg

missy_05042012PMvulva.jpg

Oh and did I mention that Missy is a MAGICIAN? Yep it's true - she's all big and pregnant until her "hubby" comes running to the gate then it's "Now I'm pregnant, and now I'm not!" LOL she kills me. Not bad for a mare due anyday
default_frusty.gif
This is her third foal and she can still make that tummy disappear! Oh and this pic was taken THIS MORNING lol

missy_05042012AM2.jpg

yep she is progressing wonderfully, she probably has a couple of days yet hopefully the Super Moon will do it
default_yes.gif

With what you have said about her previous foalings, I would be watcing her very closely!!
default_yes.gif

Good luck and safe foaling!

Hey guys sorry for not posting ive been terribly sick.

She still looks about the same and testing 6.8ph. I will post morning and evening pics this afternoon.

Hey guys......I can't get pics to load so I will have to tell you about her updates.

Last night I noticed she was laying down right after eating her grain, not normal for her. Also I was late turning the horses out this morning and she was laying down until 11am! I also noticed she only ate about a half of her hay, enough to where I didn't have to give her any for tonight as she already had plenty left over.

I fed her grain about two and a half hours ago and she still hasn't finished it. She keeps nibbling then walking away and nibbling and walking away again. She was aggrivated at turnout to her best friend another mare and she seems restless tonight in her stall.

There's been a few belly bites this evening but I did notice that around 7ish pm tonight that foal was BOUNCING in her belly like crazy. When I actually went to check her vulva, it was so relazed I believe I saw her cervix. Still squishy around her tail head and her udder was firm and warm to the touch all day.

However she is STILL TESTING 6.8ph....brand new strips too.....could her ph change in a matter of an hour or two?

wow sounds good to go,

and to answer your question, yes the pH can definitley drop VERY fast!! especially with her being at 6.8 already! wont be long I don't think.

Hey!

No foal last night but she did take her sweet time eating her grain. Infact it took her until 430am to finish it.

Its raining this morning here so maybe shed appreciate foaling in this cooler weather.

My problem that I'm having with pictures is that I have to rely on my phone to upload pictures and sometimes I just don't have the service to send them from my phone to my email account. Sometimes it takes a minute to send them and sometimes I have to wait hours. Oh the joys of living in the boonies.

Latest posts

Back